packing for weather in May

jands3

Help. I'm not a good packer anyway, and I'm about to take my entire wardrobe to Alaska cruise the end of May. Will the weather be all over the place? How cold can it get? This is our fourth cruise, but we have never gone anywhere besides the Caribbean before. Any suggestions? Thanks.:confused:

We are leaving for Seattle on Thurs. AM. I think Seattle will be ok, however, Alaska weather is still iffy. I would definately take a rain poncho, gloves and a scarf. It will also depend on your excursions as to what you will wear.

I bought a fleece jacket and vest, an all weather semi fitted car coat (very light one...but can fit a sweater under it). Also packing a few sleeveless turtlenecks that I can wear with a jean jacket or fleece jacket, a fun fur scarf,...you get the picture? And a Walmart rain poncho. Hope this helps. :) I bet your weather will be perfect because it seems like the rain is starting to be taken out of the forecast some of the days.

Have fun!

I've been checking the weather channel (everyday) as I leave for Seattle on the 26th. So far they expect showers everyday up til them and in the low 50's. I'm hoping for a 180 the day we leave port Seattle (5/27) on the Sun. I'll probably bring what I wore to the Med last November when I

expected similar weather (but was actually pleasantly surprised when it was high 50's and sunny :D )....knit pants, cashmere sweaters, lightweight jacket, sneakers (and rain poncho/suit...I'm doing a horseback tour).

Have fun!

I would suggest layering your clothing. We were there in May several years ago and had both cold and hot temperatures. It got cold around the glaciers and over 80 degrees in Ketchikan. By layering, you can keep warm, but if the temperatures rises, it's easy to take items off. Alaska is one of the most unpredictible places (temperature-wise) we have every been too. Don't worry about packing. Take one of everything as you may need it! Wish I were going to Alaska this May!!!

Ray and Barbara

The ENTIRE sailing season requires a wide range of attire. Meaning layers, so pack a lightweight lined jacket - sweatshirt and a variety of lighter shirts. Rain gear is a must as well as a knit hat and gloves.

We are leaving June 4th and have the same concerns - don't want to overpack (like we just did for Las Vegas) but want to be sure we'll stay warm. I think mock turtlenecks, a couple of light sweaters, one heavy sweater for "glacier day" and a rain poncho may do the trick (okay, scarves and gloves may come into play as well!).

I will be taking plenty of lightweight layers as has been suggested, as well as a lightweight lined jacket, a couple of fleece vests, a hat, and gloves.

Question - do I need to plan on taking a heavier coat? We are doing a whale watching excursion, the White Rock Railroad, and Misty Fjords seaplane. I hate to lug a regular winter coat with us if a lightweight one will work, but I also don't want to have to pile on six layers just to stay warm! :rolleyes: What is everyone else doing?

Also, what should I expect to wear in the evenings? I understand the formal nights and business casual attire issues, I'm just wondering about whether I should plan on sweaters as opposed to blouses, etc.

Thanks!

We are also leaving June 4th and I am wondering if I need to pack what I use here in Wisconsin for winter which is a jacket with a fleece lining. I was planning to only take a mid length raincoat which has no lining and rain pants plus turtlenecks, hoodie and a fleece jacket. Hope that will be fine. I really am cold most of the time here when it is cold. Of course, I have the mittens, earmuffs, gloves, and scarf ready to go,too. Can't wait. It will be our first trip to Alaska.

Archived