Mykonos and Santorini - Best way to spend the day

We'll be on the Brilliance in June and Mykonos and Santorini are the only 2 ports that we do not have private drivers hired at. From reading about them on cruise critic and the web, I think we can see them ourselves without much trouble. However, I would like to confirm this.

I would really appreciate knowing from those of you who have been there before how you spent your day, what the "must see" sights are and any helpful hints you might have for getting around.

Mykonos is easy to see on your own. There is a beach within walking distance of the dock and the town near there is an interesting labyrinth of shops, hotels, restaurants and bars. Some ships run a free shuttle into the town as the roads are narrow and it is just safer to ride on the bus.

Santorini is a very driveable island if you want to rent a car. There are buses that you can take from Fira where you dock to Oia which is a small town at one end of the island that should not be missed. If you choose to stay in Fira and just wander, that is very easy to do. You can either take the donkeys up or down, ride the cable car, or walk. Walking down is not too hard--I can't even imagine walking up unless you are young and/or in great shape. The cable cars are cheap and easy, although don't wait until just before you have to return to the ship to go back down. It can be a half hour to hour wait in line with everyone trying to go down at the same time--which is why I can tell you that walking down is not too bad!

We rented a car on Santorini and spent the whole day (9 am till 8 pm) exploring the island.

The cost was 55E for rental, insurance and gas (a compact standard, with A/C).

I used http://www.frommers.com/destinations/santorini/1647010002.html for my tour info for both Santorini and Mykonos. (Scroll down on this page to see info on "getting around on the island" - and use the panel at the left to get more detailed info ... e.g. check "Active Pursuits" for beach info.)

Some of the highlights for us were

- the Red Beach, S. of Akrotiri (if you like hiking, there is a short trail to the beach, otherwise I think it's only accessible by water)

- the Lighthouse (S.W. tip of the island)

- Pyrgos http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/santorini/santorini-villages/pyrgos-santorini.htm (scroll down past the pictures to the text "Our Impression" to get an idea of what this town is like),

- Perissa Beach

- Imerovigli

- Oia (also known as Ia)

- Ammoudi Bay (a great place to have dinner ... it's a fishing port just below Oia, where there are several Tavernas lining the shore.)

You can locate all of these places on this map: http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/1647_santorini.jpg

In Mykonos, we walked and used a local bus to go to the beach.

Beautiful islands .... enjoy!!

We'll be on the Brilliance in June and Mykonos and Santorini are the only 2 ports that we do not have private drivers hired at. From reading about them on cruise critic and the web, I think we can see them ourselves without much trouble. However, I would like to confirm this.

I would really appreciate knowing from those of you who have been there before how you spent your day, what the "must see" sights are and any helpful hints you might have for getting around.

Both ports are ideal to wander around on your own, and are small enough to see in a day.

I recommend taking the donkey ride up the hill at Santorini, get view and a great experience........:)

If you are beach people, you might want to consider spending some of your Mykonos time at the beach. This is one of the best beach islands and they have sandy beaches and warm water. The major beaches have facilities including chair rentals, food, rest rooms, etc. Mykonos also has some excellent jewelry stores which can be an unfortunate thing for many men as you will see lots of high quality world-class designed pieces. I try to get my wife to wear a blindfold as we stoll through town!

Hank

Mykonos sounds like a great place to go to the beach. Does anyone know if the water is still warm enough by October for swimming?

We swam there during the last week of Sept. .... the water temp. felt like it was approx. 75F.

Scooters are great on Mykonos, not recommended on Santorini because of the increased traffic and narrow, curve-y road conditions. However, I wouldn't rent a scooter unless you know what you are doing. The road conditions are pretty narrow and curve-y on Mykonos, too! You will find rentals everywhere in the main city center when you arrive from the shuttle bus. When we were there in 2004, the cost was 10E for the day, helmets included, at every scooter stand in town. They come with very little gas, so you should ask for directions to the nearest gas station and head that direction first! After that, the island's yours--it's a lot of fun to discover.

• 2 weeks later...

I will also be traveling to these ports and this is what I have heard. Ships dock right at island of Santorini. You can either take a donkey or tram to the top where the city is. then all roads pretty much lead to the center of town. There is a bus station that will take you to Oia which is highly recommended and I hear the food is lovely there as well. Heard donkey ride is a bit scary so we will do the tram.

Mykonos is walkable from the ship. If you do not want to do this you can take a ship shuttle and then I understand do the town on your own. This is what we will likely do . Hope that helps. Lynn

To correct shrink1951, ships do NOT dock for Fira in Santorini -- they tender. Once you reach land, you can get up to the town of Fira via donkey, cable car or walking. From there you can take a bus to Oia.

In Mykonos, we were docked about a 10-minute drive from town and I do NOT recommend walking. There is no shoulder for much of the trip, and the road is twisty and narrow. Although RCCL charges for its shuttle (under 4 euros pp each way), I would highly recommend that over walking.

To correct shrink1951.....

In Mykonos, we were docked....... Although RCCL charges for its shuttle (under 4 euros pp each way), I would highly recommend that over walking.

Wow, Karen..... I was recently on Oceania's Regatta; & we practically mutinied when they charged $20/pp (R/T) in Mykonos for the shuttle into town. A few years ago, Orient Lines charged nothing. And now you tell me RCCL only charges $4??? Now I'm more ticked off than before. :(

You can definitely do Mykonos on your own! We found it easy to get around there. You can rent mopeds and head out to the beach area. We ate at a wonderful outside restaurant right on the corner of where you walk up to the windmills. I forgot to get the name of it. Had spinach pie and a Greek salad that was yummy. I also bought some jewelry in a little shop near the windmills. Good shopping there.

Santorini we booked a tour guide. We had 16 people and 2 vans to take us around the island. Santorini is much more spread out than Mykonos. We visited 2 wineries and sampled the local wines! Do not go to Santorini without visiting Oia - the scenery and views are spectacular.

Mary

• 4 months later...
I am going next week. I am told that there is not much in Mykonos except Delos. What is your opinion of each? I guess I won't be going to the beaches this time of year. Thanks in advance for your input.

Are you aware that Delos is in fact a different island from Mykonos? It's a few miles away, and you do the journey in a tender, or local small boat. I gather that it can be bouncy - it's across the open sea - and indeed if the weather is rough, excursions to Delos can be cancelled.

I haven't been to Delos, but I understand it is just an archealogical site. And apparently a great one at that, but (again, as I understand it) there is nothing there but the archeaology, ie no town, etc.

• 4 months later...
Wow, Karen..... I was recently on Oceania's Regatta; & we practically mutinied when they charged $20/pp (R/T) in Mykonos for the shuttle into town. A few years ago, Orient Lines charged nothing. And now you tell me RCCL only charges $4??? Now I'm more ticked off than before. :(

"Walk out of the dock area and look up the road. You will see a local tavern. Go in and buy a ticket on the local bus for 1 Euro. The local bus will take you to the same place however it only goes once per hour at the top of the hour."....quoted from a post on these boards.

We are going to Mykonos via brilliance too!! We are heading there in late May...

Is the beach at the town good, or do we need to go to Paradise beach? I saw from here that Paradise beach is very crowded, any alternative? It would be great if the beach in the town is good, don't wanna go to any other place and miss the beautiful sunset. Thks....

We are going to Mykonos via brilliance too!! We are heading there in late May...

Is the beach at the town good, or do we need to go to Paradise beach? I saw from here that Paradise beach is very crowded, any alternative? It would be great if the beach in the town is good, don't wanna go to any other place and miss the beautiful sunset. Thks....

Paradise Beach is much nicer than the beach in town and the bus ride there is interesting as you'll get to see some of the island.

What about renting 4-wheelers or scooters on either of these islands? Is it safe? What is the cost of doing so?

We rented a 4 wheeler on Mykonos last Oct., and had a great time. We were able to go all over the island. It only cost 30euro for the day. What a bargin. Don't forget to get an international drivers license. You can get them at AAA travel for 18.00 Have fun jermey

Any suggestions for car hire in Fira?? I've searched today and can only find 2 small local car hire cos. What are the big ones in the town centre? Some are listed but at the airport?? Any recommendations please?

Thanks,

Judith

Archived