Dressing for Dinner on 5 day cruise

Hi, We will be taking the RCCL Explorer of the Sea in July from Cape Liberty in New Jersey to Bermuda. :D This is their 5 day cruise. I've been getting mixed information about dressing for dinner. Some say on the 5 day cruise, formal dress is not required, that causal is okay for dinner. I was wondering if anyone knew any information on this. :confused: We are going with a group of people and I want everyone to be prepared accordingly. Thanks, Michelle.;)

This is from Royal Caribbean's web site.

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4 - night cruises include one formal night and the remainder nights are casual.

5 - night cruises include one formal and the remainder nights casual.

6 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder nights casual. 7 to 9 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights casual.

10 to 13-night cruises include two formal nights, two smart casual nights, and the remainder nights casual.

14+ - night cruises include three formal nights, four smart casual nights and the remainder nights casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

We did a 5 day cruise in April on Splendour and the 2nd night was formal. That is when they held the Captin's reception. I would say less than 50% were formal. Men had suits and women had dresses (some more formal than others). The other people at our table had golf shirts (men) and nice blouses (women). My DH was in a suit and I was in a fomal dress. I actually saw one guy with a ball cap on:eek: .

I looked at it as how often do you get to really dress up. They also had clothes available on the ship to rent or purchase.

We were just on the 5 night Explorer cruise on May 7th from Miami to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. There was one formal night and one night that they called "smart casual".....the rest of the nights were casual. On the smart casual night I saw a lot of men in jackets or nice button shirts and some in polo shirts.

Dee

We just got off the Vision's 5 day repositioning cruise, which had 2 sea days.

Much to our surprise, there was a second formal night on the second sea day! Since everything we'd read had said 1 formal night, we were only prepared for one. DH bought a tie for $10 from the shops on board and I dressed a little more casually in black dress pants and a dressy sweater set with sparkly stuff at the collar and cuffs. It was fine...

You might email RCCL and ask specifically about your sailing (mention that you've already read the website and know that there will be one formal night, yadda yadda.)

The other nights were listed as casual, but most people seemed to be dressed as smart casual instead.

Plan to take something to really "Wow" them at dinner at least 1 night. We had 2 formals nights on our last 10 day cruise, but at least 1/2 of the folks, while not in formal gowns, dressed pretty "spiff-ily" every night--even when it was posted as casual. I was glad to have brought "nicer" clothes for dinner than I had been led to believe I would need.

Archived