Qe 2 1st Timer

armobloke

Hi everybody:)

We are going on the QE2 in september and we are thoroughly looking forward to it.We are just a little apprehensive as we have read different peoples experiences on other websites and it sounds as if standards are slipping.We have an M1 cabin and wondered if anyone else has been on this deck recently I.E after the refit.We have cruised once before and really enjoyed it but that was on a much smaller ship.Is there anything to worry about?Is it expensive onboard.We look forward to reading your replies.

It has been less than a year since we did a crossing on QE2 and it was before the refit so I'm not sure how helpful I can be. Our cabin was a C5 and very comfortable. Depending upon your style, you may find, as we did, that you spend very little time in your cabin! After breakfasting and dressing there in the morning, we weren't back until it was time to dress for dinner. The ship has many comfortable public areas where one can relax and enjoy the sea view. It never felt crowded despite being full.

As for how expensive it is, I suppose that is relative. It is easy to run up a large tab without blinking if you don't think things through in advance. If you feel money is tight, agree to a budget and decide on priorities. Some people prefer to drink their way through their cruise. If that's your priority, maybe you don't need any souveniers or photos. If you're a spa hound, perhaps wine with dinner will suffice. Etc.

Most of all, enjoy yourself! We certainly did!!!

Hi Armobloke. What date in September are you going? We will be on the September 4th cruise. We have an M1 cabin and we are thinking of upgrading to a C category.

With regard to negative comments, I would not worry too much about it. We went on the QM2 last March. Before we went, we also were concerned because of all the negative comments we read. As a matter of fact, we had a great trip on a fantastic ship. However, I understand, the M5 cabins have bunker beds. So, that might be something you want to check if you mind having one bed on top of the other.

Joal

It is a unique ship and a terrific experience. Do remember, however, that this is an old ship with a great history, but it may not have all of the conveniences of the more modern ships, so do not expect the same kind of experience. I have always found staff very hardworking and the ship clean. I have also found fellow travelers friendly. They tend to be more well-traveled than on ordinary ships.

Cabins are tiny, compared to other ships, but beds are very comfortable and there is adequate storage space. Unpack your bags and tuck suitcases under the bed.

Most popular "activity" is reading either on deck out of the wind or along the windows on the upper and quarter decks where there are comfortable chairs. Turn one around, prop your feet on the window ledge, and watch the ocean. Second most popular activity is afternoon tea. Don't miss the scones!

Also, make sure you take the Heritage Trail, a guided tour of the historical exhibits tucked everywhere on the ship.

And don't forget to pack a jacket and something to layer under it because it is always windy and cold outside on the North Atlantic.

Armobloke,

Just returned from the May 29th sailing one week after coming out of drydock. We were in a M1 cabin on deck 4. We had a small porthole for outside viewing. The room was small compared to most newer ships.

The service and food in the Muratania restraunt was outstanding. We also enjoyed the cruise director, Paul. He performs several times before the evening shows. My wife liked afternoon tea, and the deserts were to die for.

She is a bit worn and teathered, but the service and food quality is superior to modern megaships.

Greg

I just read that Paul was the cruise director on QE2. Is that Paul Becque? (spelling might be wrong). He was our cruise director on the QM2 this past March and we absolutely loved him. I thought he'd be on the QM2 for longer. Does anyone know who is cruise director on Caronia, and how often they shuffle around?

FLAVOR:

I both love and hate the QE2 and Cunard at the same time. What they do well they do beautifully like no other. What they do badly the screw up royally.

CUNARD SCREW UPS:

Problems began with getting me my tickets only 6 days before my flight out, and this required 3 phone calls and a promise to post the idiocy on all the message boards. The service in the Mauritania restaurant was not fit for a Dairy Queen much less a Cunard Queen. It is the WORST I have had of any cruise. The dinner service had well meaning but incompetent waiters. On the first night I was asked to share a menu with a table mate. One waiter had BO on occasion. Lunch and breakfast service was abysmal and made NCL and Regal look really good. Orders would get screwed up, courses arrive out of sequence, and they would run out of basic items. I do have to say the food was tasty, especially the desserts. The cuisine however was not very imaginative.

Ships HVAC had 2 settings: 90^f and 30^ f with no in between.

THE SHIP:

She is a nautical Jaguar. QE2 is full of both wonderful and maddening quirks at the same time. Her exterior design is beautiful. The forms and surfaces are like the Loveboats and the RVL trio albeit enlarged. Her original interiors were done in 1966 London Mod. Over time, the mod got toned down to an interior theme which is a visual happy meal. Decor is neither innovative nor offensive. The only distinctive room is the Queens Lounge with the 1966 London Mod white fluted columns and coffered ceiling.

Going between decks is another story. She has 9 stairtowers of which 8 of them go to only some decks, skip over a few, change configuration to become a habitrail so when you exit you do not know if you are going forward or aft in a hallway. It has the complexity of the New York City subway system. With 6 sea days I could figure them out if not interested in other activities. Ship had space age décor with 1920’s space planning.

She really shines like no other with her incredibly stable ride. I0’ white caps and 20 knot winds gives the gentlest of motion that helps me sleep. For 2 days we had 20’ swells where the waves would crash over the bow [saw from bridge cam, forward observation deck closed off.] the ship would gently heave, but no sound was heard. The sensation is more of pitching than rolling, like a porpoise. Unsecured closet doors would swing open and shut. I walked holding the rails, by the next day I was used to the motion and walking regularly. From the dining room to the other side, I could see the ship rock, first all sea, moving horizon, then all sky and back again, but did not feel it. The SSNorway had the same ride motions, but with more amplitude and faster frequency.

Her connection to the sea is magnificent. Every public area has an ocean view. There is no traditional enclosed promenade, but I did not miss it since that space is opened to the rest of the ship and plenty of comfortable chairs next to the windows to look out of. Most of her public rooms are smallish hideaways unlike the SSNorway and Pacific Princess which are a succession of grand spaces.

The buffet area has a line that zigzag’s in the wrong direction. There is a fence to keep you in the cattle chute, and you cannot see what is ahead to skip over food you do not want to eat. Since the dining rooms have great picture windows I did not use the buffet area. On many ships where the dining room is a windowless cavern below decks, I use the buffet simply because I like to watch the ocean while eating.

QE2 has a great sense of intimacy that I did not think could be found on a big ship. The SSNorway only 10% bigger has little sense of intimacy. Intimacy to me is a function of passenger density, not size of the ship. Regal Empress is 1/3 the size and stuffed with 1100 passengers offers none at all.

PEOPLE AND CRUISE FORMAT:

This was the BEST group of passengers I ever have been with. Crossers and cruisers are different breeds. Winter time crossers tend to be eccentric and adventurous. To want to cross the North Atlantic in the winter you have to be [me included]. Not everybody on board was wealthy, however most were well educated. Many were QE2 repeat passengers which created a sense of camaraderie and an institutional memory. All knew how to have fun. There were lots of liner loonies too. Noted travel writer Ted Scull was on board, and Stephen Card: noted maritime artist.

Some complained the weather was too calm and wanted 50 knot gales and 50’ waves. We sailed between 2 storms. The outdoor temp was 50^f most of the time and people were using the outdoor pools. The gym was crowded every morning with many seniors doing serious work outs. This ship did not have the typical red-neck, blue hair, big butt, big gut, glutton gambler cruise passenger stereotype.

Everybody on board was very friendly. If tables at tea were near full, it was OK to ask to join, and if people ask to join me I always obliged. The result was great Left Bank conversation. Pomposity and standoffishness are looked down upon.

I had been recognized as Desirod by 2 people; not by what I look like, but by certain maritime clothing and ship conversation. Internet is a small place.

Passenger complement was

1000 Americans

400 British

90 German

40 French

30 Canadian

rest from all over.

The Pied Piper partial gay and lesbian charter was 25 people. I counted 100 gay people overall. We all seemed to find each other. Ages were 20-80. It was nice since we had our own section of the dining room guaranteeing good table mates. Overall it was a very low key atmosphere and everybody blended with all and not one inch of intolerance. If you told someone you were gay: "yea, there was a Tuesday last week" and continued conversation

Cunard had French and German social host/hostess's. Announcements were made in 3 languages. I found the French passengers a friendly delight and very interesting conversationally. I was told if was in France, my politics would be right of center LOL.

One was a businessman/philosopher my age. We ate breakfast every morning together and were the last to leave the dining room. British were reserved unless drunk. I ate lunch regularly with a spunky septuagenarian Glaswegian couple who were fascinating people.

The Germans traveling alone were friendly, but those in groups or couples tended to keep to themselves and not mingle. I did befriend a young lawyer. There were many singles and the age breakdown was about 75% over 60, and about 10 passengers under the age of 20. My group ran the age gamut.

A priest and a rabbi were on board. QE2 does have a synagogue. Church services were in the Theatre. One activity was a joint lecture by the priest and rabbi on people of different faiths coming together.

CAPTAIN’S PARTY AND FORMAL DRESS:

I though I would hate it, but I really don’t mind. On the QE2 there were several passengers in Scottish Kilts, one Napoleon uniform and several other vintage military outfits. If I realized I could have been creative Hmmmmmm;-) The Captains party was like a Fellini movie: taking place in the space age Queens Lounge, the bordello velour furniture, and the vintage costumes was a strange confluence.

ACTIVITIES:

The cruise format was made for me-SUPERLATIVE. Again what the QE2 does well is superlative and what it does badly is horrid. The library and book shop are second to none. It has many maritime books, and did not get a chance to finish all I wanted to read. Crossing had a Science Fiction theme which had several lectures on the Cosmic Watergate-coverups of aliens visiting Earth. Ted Scull gave two interesting lectures. Other speakers were Seth Stoshak, Max Arthur, Herbert Appleman, and Stanton Friedman. There was a classical music concert, and loved the afternoon teas with the harpist.

Overall I truly enjoyed myself. It is great to come home refreshed, showered, wearing clean clothes and not jetlagged and would definitely cross again. I can forgive the ship’s quirks, but not Cunard for simple shortcomings so easily rectified by other cruiselines.

Desirod:

Thank you for your great review. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience

in the Mauretania dining room. But, may I ask? What were you doing in that dining room? Did you not know about the existence of the Quuens Grill? I am sure you would have found the service there impeccable, and the food absoultely wonderful. The Queens Grill exists for the uncompromising and discriminating passenger. Try it next time. I am sure you will be very pleased. For me, it is the only way to go.

I have been on 12 cruises all on a tight budget. Premier and NCL had superior dining service.

Princess Grill dining would require a 2nd mortgage on my home and a few months without groceries.

Reviews by Ernie Roller and Malcolm Oliver who took the same voyage 1 year earlier also found substandard service.

Joal, let us know how your service is in the Princess, Queens, or Britannia Grille. As a physician you have deeper pockets than many.

"The service in the Mauritania restaurant was not fit for a Dairy Queen much less a Cunard Queen. It is the WORST I have had of any cruise. The dinner service had well meaning but incompetent waiters. On the first night I was asked to share a menu with a table mate. One waiter had BO on occasion. Lunch and breakfast service was abysmal and made NCL and Regal look really good. Orders would get screwed up, courses arrive out of sequence, and they would run out of basic items. "

Desirod:

Thank you for your great review. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience

in the Mauretania dining room. But, may I ask? What were you doing in that dining room? Did you not know about the existence of the Quuens Grill? I am sure you would have found the service there impeccable, and the food absoultely wonderful. The Queens Grill exists for the uncompromising and discriminating passenger. Try it next time. I am sure you will be very pleased. For me, it is the only way to go.

Desirod makes a good point about the passengers. QE2 tends to attract a more international and well-traveled group. I met many passengers who were on their 5th, 6th, etc crossing on her. Also very friendly. I traveled solo and always found someone to sit with and chat with. Met some fascinating people that way. QE2 is one of the last ships to have a substantial number of single cabins so she attracts a lot of single travelers--many elderly, although lots of others, as well.

Sharing tables is well-accepted and no one ever "saved" seats or discouraged me from joining them.

My favorite place on board? Sitting in one of the very comfortable chairs along the two main public decks and turning the chair around to watch the ocean while reading a good book. The tables along the edges of the Queen's grill are very popular around tea time, so get there early. Best place on board for tea!

DESIROD - It is at times difficult for,shall we say the more affluent passengers to understand that there are people on board who can not afford to travel "first class". Your point is well made and whatever category you have booked you are entitled to an acceptable standard of service.

David.

Many of the QE2 passengers are academics, artists, writers, musicians, and early career professionals who want a high culture experience but not the floating frat party Carnival offers. They are as educated as Joal, but have more class and sensitivity.

• 2 years later...

For rchambon

FLAVOR:

I both love and hate the QE2 and Cunard at the same time. What they do well they do beautifully like no other. What they do badly the screw up royally.

CUNARD SCREW UPS:

Problems began with getting me my tickets only 6 days before my flight out, and this required 3 phone calls and a promise to post the idiocy on all the message boards. The service in the Mauritania restaurant was not fit for a Dairy Queen much less a Cunard Queen. It is the WORST I have had of any cruise. The dinner service had well meaning but incompetent waiters. On the first night I was asked to share a menu with a table mate. One waiter had BO on occasion. Lunch and breakfast service was abysmal and made NCL and Regal look really good. Orders would get screwed up, courses arrive out of sequence, and they would run out of basic items. I do have to say the food was tasty, especially the desserts. The cuisine however was not very imaginative.

Ships HVAC had 2 settings: 90^f and 30^ f with no in between.

THE SHIP:

She is a nautical Jaguar. QE2 is full of both wonderful and maddening quirks at the same time. Her exterior design is beautiful. The forms and surfaces are like the Loveboats and the RVL trio albeit enlarged. Her original interiors were done in 1966 London Mod. Over time, the mod got toned down to an interior theme which is a visual happy meal. Decor is neither innovative nor offensive. The only distinctive room is the Queens Lounge with the 1966 London Mod white fluted columns and coffered ceiling.

Going between decks is another story. She has 9 stairtowers of which 8 of them go to only some decks, skip over a few, change configuration to become a habitrail so when you exit you do not know if you are going forward or aft in a hallway. It has the complexity of the New York City subway system. With 6 sea days I could figure them out if not interested in other activities. Ship had space age décor with 1920’s space planning.

She really shines like no other with her incredibly stable ride. I0’ white caps and 20 knot winds gives the gentlest of motion that helps me sleep. For 2 days we had 20’ swells where the waves would crash over the bow [saw from bridge cam, forward observation deck closed off.] the ship would gently heave, but no sound was heard. The sensation is more of pitching than rolling, like a porpoise. Unsecured closet doors would swing open and shut. I walked holding the rails, by the next day I was used to the motion and walking regularly. From the dining room to the other side, I could see the ship rock, first all sea, moving horizon, then all sky and back again, but did not feel it. The SSNorway had the same ride motions, but with more amplitude and faster frequency.

Her connection to the sea is magnificent. Every public area has an ocean view. There is no traditional enclosed promenade, but I did not miss it since that space is opened to the rest of the ship and plenty of comfortable chairs next to the windows to look out of. Most of her public rooms are smallish hideaways unlike the SSNorway and Pacific Princess which are a succession of grand spaces.

The buffet area has a line that zigzag’s in the wrong direction. There is a fence to keep you in the cattle chute, and you cannot see what is ahead to skip over food you do not want to eat. Since the dining rooms have great picture windows I did not use the buffet area. On many ships where the dining room is a windowless cavern below decks, I use the buffet simply because I like to watch the ocean while eating.

QE2 has a great sense of intimacy that I did not think could be found on a big ship. The SSNorway only 10% bigger has little sense of intimacy. Intimacy to me is a function of passenger density, not size of the ship. Regal Empress is 1/3 the size and stuffed with 1100 passengers offers none at all.

PEOPLE AND CRUISE FORMAT:

This was the BEST group of passengers I ever have been with. Crossers and cruisers are different breeds. Winter time crossers tend to be eccentric and adventurous. To want to cross the North Atlantic in the winter you have to be [me included]. Not everybody on board was wealthy, however most were well educated. Many were QE2 repeat passengers which created a sense of camaraderie and an institutional memory. All knew how to have fun. There were lots of liner loonies too. Noted travel writer Ted Scull was on board, and Stephen Card: noted maritime artist.

Some complained the weather was too calm and wanted 50 knot gales and 50’ waves. We sailed between 2 storms. The outdoor temp was 50^f most of the time and people were using the outdoor pools. The gym was crowded every morning with many seniors doing serious work outs. This ship did not have the typical red-neck, blue hair, big butt, big gut, glutton gambler cruise passenger stereotype.

Everybody on board was very friendly. If tables at tea were near full, it was OK to ask to join, and if people ask to join me I always obliged. The result was great Left Bank conversation. Pomposity and standoffishness are looked down upon.

I had been recognized as Desirod by 2 people; not by what I look like, but by certain maritime clothing and ship conversation. Internet is a small place.

Passenger complement was

1000 Americans

400 British

90 German

40 French

30 Canadian

rest from all over.

The Pied Piper partial gay and lesbian charter was 25 people. I counted 100 gay people overall. We all seemed to find each other. Ages were 20-80. It was nice since we had our own section of the dining room guaranteeing good table mates. Overall it was a very low key atmosphere and everybody blended with all and not one inch of intolerance. If you told someone you were gay: "yea, there was a Tuesday last week" and continued conversation

Cunard had French and German social host/hostess's. Announcements were made in 3 languages. I found the French passengers a friendly delight and very interesting conversationally. I was told if was in France, my politics would be right of center LOL.

One was a businessman/philosopher my age. We ate breakfast every morning together and were the last to leave the dining room. British were reserved unless drunk. I ate lunch regularly with a spunky septuagenarian Glaswegian couple who were fascinating people.

The Germans traveling alone were friendly, but those in groups or couples tended to keep to themselves and not mingle. I did befriend a young lawyer. There were many singles and the age breakdown was about 75% over 60, and about 10 passengers under the age of 20. My group ran the age gamut.

A priest and a rabbi were on board. QE2 does have a synagogue. Church services were in the Theatre. One activity was a joint lecture by the priest and rabbi on people of different faiths coming together.

CAPTAIN’S PARTY AND FORMAL DRESS:

I though I would hate it, but I really don’t mind. On the QE2 there were several passengers in Scottish Kilts, one Napoleon uniform and several other vintage military outfits. If I realized I could have been creative Hmmmmmm;-) The Captains party was like a Fellini movie: taking place in the space age Queens Lounge, the bordello velour furniture, and the vintage costumes was a strange confluence.

ACTIVITIES:

The cruise format was made for me-SUPERLATIVE. Again what the QE2 does well is superlative and what it does badly is horrid. The library and book shop are second to none. It has many maritime books, and did not get a chance to finish all I wanted to read. Crossing had a Science Fiction theme which had several lectures on the Cosmic Watergate-coverups of aliens visiting Earth. Ted Scull gave two interesting lectures. Other speakers were Seth Stoshak, Max Arthur, Herbert Appleman, and Stanton Friedman. There was a classical music concert, and loved the afternoon teas with the harpist.

Overall I truly enjoyed myself. It is great to come home refreshed, showered, wearing clean clothes and not jetlagged and would definitely cross again. I can forgive the ship’s quirks, but not Cunard for simple shortcomings so easily rectified by other cruiselines.

"The service in the Mauritania restaurant was not fit for a Dairy Queen much less a Cunard Queen. It is the WORST I have had of any cruise. The dinner service had well meaning but incompetent waiters. On the first night I was asked to share a menu with a table mate. One waiter had BO on occasion. Lunch and breakfast service was abysmal and made NCL and Regal look really good. Orders would get screwed up, courses arrive out of sequence, and they would run out of basic items. I do have to say the food was tasty, especially the desserts. The cuisine however was not very imaginative."

Why didn't you complain to management and have the problems corrected? Would you return to the same "abysmal" restaurant fifteen times in five days on land? No! Management wants, in fact, hopes that you will complain, so that they can correct these problems! My feeling is that if you don't complain to the appropriate people on the ship then you shouldn't take up anyone's time on this board or elsewhere with your gripes! Get a grip and exercise your vocal cords complaining to the appropriate management! On the other hand, if you put it in perspective, these were only fifteen meals in your lifetime, so maybe you should quietly tolerate them.

FLAVOR:

I both love and hate the QE2 and Cunard at the same time. What they do well they do beautifully like no other. What they do badly the screw up royally...I can forgive the ship’s quirks, but not Cunard for simple shortcomings so easily rectified by other cruiselines.

First of all, GREAT overview. I know this ship like an old friend and you capture much of her spirit and style very accurately. While I, too, find some of QE2's quirks sometimes annoying, I feel "hate" might be too harsh. I like to think of her as a beloved old friend, vibrant and eccentric in her later years. I am looking forward to a long reunion with her on the 2006 world cruise. I am traveling solo and hope to find a niche with others as you seem to have done.

Thanks, again, for the great review.

Happy Sailings!

Armobloke:

As you can see the reviews in both directions have started. Do what I am doing. Ignore them all. The bottom line is only you will know whether or not the QE2 is the ship for you and if its up to a standard you will like/love.

Of course, the old timers will always say the standards have slipped. Of course, those who seek the conveniences of a modern ship will dish the old antique and those who love the classic sailings will love the last throwback to the old days.

Not everyone can afford Queens Grill so its a reality that some people will just have to settle for Mauretania or Caronia at best. That doesn't mean better or worse. You just have to understand what it is that you are paying for and what you will be comfortable settling for.

I think you will enjoy the cruise. Its a classic that has been around for ages but it doesn't appear to have been let to rust and fall apart. You will be served hand and foot unlike at home and you are off to see a beautiful part of the world.

Enjoy your cruise! I'm aiming to enjoy my first encounter with the Queen in 2007.

David

Hopelessly Idealistic

The service in the Mauritania restaurant was not fit for a Dairy Queen much less a Cunard Queen. It is the WORST I have had of any cruise.

In my 3 Mauretania crossings the service has been good to very good - in fact I'd put the Caronia (restaurant) service in the middle of that range. ALL were better than QM2 Britannia and also well ahead of Princess (line), and a shade ahead of Royal Caribbean. None match the dear departed CARONIA (liner)......I guess its the luck of the draw. I think Cunard put the youngest, least experienced staff in Mauretania - so if you get a goodun, they can be excellent - I do wonder if the Caronia staff tend to rest on their laurels.....

Peter

Archived