Ex-Con Godmother

ctguy001

My husband and I are taking our first ever cruise in Dec. '06 and selected the Crown Princess. I have to e-mail that I am very disappointed in the choice Princess made in choosing Martha Stewart as the godmother of this ship. A convicted felon is not my idea of a person to look up to, regardless of her "exceptional achievements." I work 60+ hours a week, have two jobs, and wouldn't consider for a moment trying to shortcut my way to a fast buck, unlike the person Princess has designated godmother of this new ship. I'm pretty disgusted by the choice. Maybe I'll take my hard-earned money and cruise/vacation with another line, like RCI, next time, as they recently had the smarts and integrity to choose a woman very deserving of this honor... the foster mother that ordinary Americans chose for her dedication to serving others, not self.

My husband and I are taking our first ever cruise in Dec. '06 and selected the Crown Princess. I have to e-mail that I am very disappointed in the choice Princess made in choosing Martha Stewart as the godmother of this ship. A convicted felon is not my idea of a person to look up to, regardless of her "exceptional achievements." I work 60+ hours a week, have two jobs, and wouldn't consider for a moment trying to shortcut my way to a fast buck, unlike the person Princess has designated godmother of this new ship. I'm pretty disgusted by the choice. Maybe I'll take my hard-earned money and cruise/vacation with another line, like RCI, next time, as they recently had the smarts and integrity to choose a woman very deserving of this honor... the foster mother that ordinary Americans chose for her dedication to serving others, not self.

You are certainly entitled to vote with your feet!....:rolleyes:

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Why not?

ROFL---you'r right, I didn's see it until just now---the similarities between civil rights leaders who were imprisoned for passive resistance and civil disobedience and Martha Stewart are so obvious!! Martha went to jail so we could all be free to commit perjury and commit securities fraud.

ROFL---you'r right, I didn's see it until just now---the similarities between civil rights leaders who were imprisoned for passive resistance and civil disobedience and Martha Stewart are so obvious!! Martha went to jail so we could all be free to commit perjury and commit securities fraud.

And Al Capone for tax evasion

October 24: Al Capone is sentenced to 11 years in prison for income tax evasion.

from

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/dillinger/timeline/index.html

I just heard on the news that Ken Lay is much loved in Texas because of his very significant philanthropic work. If Princess decides to have one of their new ships sail from Texas, Lay may be a good candidate for Godfather, assuming of course he is out of jail by then. If so, this will mean he has paid his debt to society, been reintegrated into society, and is thus worthy of the honor, especially in light of the may good things he has apparently done.

I just heard on the news that Ken Lay is much loved in Texas because of his very significant philanthropic work. If Princess decides to have one of their new ships sail from Texas, Lay may be a good candidate for Godfather, assuming of course he is out of jail by then. If so, this will mean he has paid his debt to society, been reintegrated into society, and is thus worthy of the honor, especially in light of the may good things he has apparently done.

Well, he can just get in line behind Richard Hatch. Wonder which one will get out first?

I am not a Martha fan. But I was under the impression that a friend told her to dump her stock because it was going to do a nosedive. If that is true how many of us can honestly say that we would stand by and do nothing as our money went down the tubes? Not me, I would do whatever I could to save my money. If someone knows what actually did happen please correct me. I did not follow the story or her court case.

I do agree with the poster that said that there are far to many other women that are certainly deserve the honor of being the ship's godmother.

Annieeee

It seems Martha is in the news today (click link for full article):

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/25/news/newsmakers/martha_civiltrial/index.htm

Martha Stewart faces civil suit deadline

Report says clock is ticking for Stewart to respond to an SEC civil suit over selling shares of ImClone Systems.

May 25, 2006: 8:22 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Martha Stewart faces a deadline Thursday to respond to charges in a civil suit that she illegally used non-public information when she sold 4,000 shares of ImClone Systems in late 2001, according to a published report Thursday.

The New York Times reported that the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) initiated the civil case alleging insider trading charges against Stewart three years ago. Stewart spent five months in prison for lying to prosecutors over the stock sale.

I am surprised that Princess Cruises would not have assessed this choice more thoroughly. There has to be some great choices out there; Martha Stewart is not one of them.

I am not a Martha fan. But I was under the impression that a friend told her to dump her stock because it was going to do a nosedive. If that is true how many of us can honestly say that we would stand by and do nothing as our money went down the tubes? Not me, I would do whatever I could to save my money. If someone knows what actually did happen please correct me. I did not follow the story or her court case.

I do agree with the poster that said that there are far to many other women that are certainly deserve the honor of being the ship's godmother.

Annieeee

I can honestly say that. For one thing, the stock may go back up. For another, I would never have a huge percentage of my money in 1 stock (she had $60,000 of her total worth of about 300 million in that stock, not very much money.) I would rather lose my money than risk jail time.

Let's try it this way:

You're selling your car. You find out the transmission is shot. do you:

a. sell the car for the same price and lie about the transmission?

b. reduce the price of the car and take the loss?

most of us I would hope would to b.

Stocks are no different.

But I was under the impression that a friend told her to dump her stock because it was going to do a nosedive.

If I recall, it was the president of ImClone who told her to dump it. And Martha, who was once on the Board of Directors for the stock exchange (I seem to recall that, too) knew exactly how wrong this action on insider knowledge would be. Whereas, she was convicted for lying, what sticks in the craw of many honest people, is that it appears she felt whe was above the rules. And that, is what I venture, is what is really annoying the people who do not support Martha.

I was under the impression that a friend told her to dump her stock because it was going to do a nosedive. If that is true how many of us can honestly say that we would stand by and do nothing as our money went down the tubes? Not me, I would do whatever I could to save my money. If someone knows what actually did happen please correct me. I did not follow the story or her court case.

Annieeee

It was her stockbroker that passed this insider information to Stewart and Stewart, being a former stockbroker, knew it was both illegal and unethical to use this information. The reason this law exists is to protect the average investor. I would not do whatever I could to save my money if that meant committing a crime. If everyone that possessed insider information used it to increase his/her wealth at the expense of the average investor, the average investor would leave the stock market and our economy would falter.

Let's try it this way:

You're selling your car. You find out the transmission is shot. do you:

a. sell the car for the same price and lie about the transmission?

b. reduce the price of the car and take the loss?

most of us I would hope would to b.

Stocks are no different.

I also believe most people would choose (b); if this is no longer so, God help civilization.

No I would choose A) as would most of you on here...but admitting to doing that most would lie about it on here and say they would pick B)...that's really where the differences lie!Princess did the right choice...they wanted fanfare, controversy, hip, talk and chatter and that's what there getting.....brilliant marketing campaign if I do say so myself!Let Martha Live!:)Tony

Archived