Travel Channels Safety at Sea and Host Caroline

lkmamom

Just a quick note to say that I thought that you were marvelous on the Travel Channel's special last evening. I really enjoyed the presentation. It is good to see that there really is a real Caroline:) .The female cruiser that was raped was a scary piece. :eek: I hope that it rang a bell to those that let their teens run loose at all hours of the night, you just never know.

It was also great to hear that cjskids daughter's pictures were used. That is awesome!

Kudos for cruise critic!!!!

Linda

Just a quick note to say that I thought that you were marvelous on the Travel Channel's special last evening. I really enjoyed the presentation. It is good to see that there really is a real Caroline:) .The female cruiser that was raped was a scary piece. :eek: I hope that it rang a bell to those that let their teens run loose at all hours of the night, you just never know.

I doubt it will change enough minds. There are too many parents with a false sense of safety along with "it's my kids vacation too." Live and learn. Sink or swim.

I haven't seen the piece but is that the girl who voluntarily went into crew quarters, against ship policy, and was raped? I'm not blaming her but where were her parents and why didn't they emphasize to her not to go into crew areas? As parents, we tell our kids repeatedly not to go with strangers. It doesn't matter if you're at home, at school, at a hotel, on a Caribbean island or a cruise ship. My daughter is now 30 and this has been drumed into her since she was a small child. Such terrible events can often be avoided. Not always, but often.

I haven't seen the piece but is that the girl who voluntarily went into crew quarters, against ship policy, and was raped? I'm not blaming her but where were her parents and why didn't they emphasize to her not to go into crew areas? As parents, we tell our kids repeatedly not to go with strangers. It doesn't matter if you're at home, at school, at a hotel, on a Caribbean island or a cruise ship. My daughter is now 30 and this has been drumed into her since she was a small child. Such terrible events can often be avoided. Not always, but often.

No, she was a woman in her forties who said that a bartender put a drug in her drink, took her to crew quarters, and raped her. She didn't report it until about a week after she finished the cruise so even though she had saved the clothing she was wearing, there was not enough evidence to prosecute.

Pam, it was actually an adult female that was slipped something in her drink by the bartender and then she became very disoriented and the rest is history.

I just brought up the teen thing because on our past cruises we have seen a lot of teens out running into the wee hours. I think people sometimes have a false sense of total safety. It was a good reminder to have fun but keep on your guard on any vacation.

Linda

The show was informative and they did show four of my photos of the Star Fire!

Ken Gonska

And what great photo's they are Ken. Glad they used them. Still can't believe you had the presence of mind to grab your camera when you first saw the fire!!! Thanks again for letting me have these photo's. Karen

uh... I'm confused.. what does this have to do with me!:eek: I wasn't on that special??? or was there a "Host Caroline" on the ship that wasn't me/???????:confused: :confused:

Host Caroline, there was a woman interviewed in the show, she was identified as Caroline Spencer Brown, editor of cruisecritic.com. I also assumed it was you. I wonder who is she then??:confused:

Pam, it was actually an adult female that was slipped something in her drink by the bartender and then she became very disoriented and the rest is history.

I just brought up the teen thing because on our past cruises we have seen a lot of teens out running into the wee hours. I think people sometimes have a false sense of total safety. It was a good reminder to have fun but keep on your guard on any vacation.

Thanks for the clarification. I've got the show programmed on my TiVo. Being slipped something in her drink is outrageous. What a horrible thing to happen. And yes... reminders are good. It's a sad world that's come to this. :(

• Administrators

Our editor, Carolyn Spencer Brown was intereviewed and did appear on the Travel Channel show that aired last Wed night, a few times I might add.

Carolyn has been Cruise Critic's (http://www.cruisecritic.com) for three years, and came to us from the Washington Post.

We have much to offer cruisers in the way of professional ship reviews, news, articles and features -- guided by our editor, Carolyn. Go ahead, take a peek: http://www.cruisecritic.com

Laura

Archived