Playa Uvas

rscima

Just heard from Eduardo:

9am, we have power, telephone and as far as i can see from my window (apt window) there are some tree branches down but thats it. is still raining and windy but it looks normal...

He'll be heading over to Uvas shortly to check things out there!

My family of 5, - myself, wife, 12, 16, and 18 year old searched for our own shore excursion prior to arriving in Cozumel on 8/9/07, and found Playa Uvas.

I cannot say enough positive things about our experience there. The facilities were excellent, the staff was incredibly nice and accomodating. The snorkeling was wonderful - perhaps not as great as it "used to be" in Cozumel, but thanks to experienced guides, we saw beautiful corals and fish, a few rays, a scorpion fish, an eel, and just had a blast. We did the clear kayaking as well which, while not as gratifying as the snorkeling, was still lots of fun for us all.

The beach was beautiful and calm. It wasn't too crowded. We got the all inclusive package and the food was good (and there was enough to satisfy us all - even the teens) and the alcohol was non-stop for my wife and I.

All told, we highly recommend Playa Uvas for anybody looking for a place to relax and even find a little adventure on the beautiful Isla Cozumel.

How does the snorkeling at Playa Uvas compare to the snorkeling done through the ship's excursion? Which beach does Princess use for its snorkeling trips? Also, can you walk to the facilities of Chankanaab Park like the Lagoon or Dolphin Discovery since Playa Uvas is supposedly located in that vicinity?

Also, can you walk to the facilities of Chankanaab Park like the Lagoon or Dolphin Discovery since Playa Uvas is supposedly located in that vicinity?

My DD and I walked from Chankanaab Park to Playa Uvas. It is a very short walk and we felt safe. She is 16 and I am over 40;) and we didn't have any problems.

Would love to hear about Playa Uvas post Dean. Heard no damage but did it affect the snorkeling? Anyone going to write a review? :o

Sorry for my delay guys. I've been terribly busy since I came back from my cruise but here's my review. I hope ya'll will enjoy it! :)

This was my second visit to Cozumel and Playa Uvas and I enjoyed it a lot more this time! : ) As some of ya'll may know, I arrived there after Hurricane Dean passed through. The locals told me that they didn't receive any damage. Thank goodness! I could tell that they were grateful that Hurricane Dean didn't hit them directly. Cozumel looked beautiful as ever. The ocean was calm and it was a beautiful day. We arrived around 11 am at Playa Uvas and like last time Carmen was waiting for us. We went shopping before we went to Playa Uvas, so we had several shopping bags. We left our items w/Carmen and she said that she would take care of them. (Which she did, she's such a doll!) We got situated and placed our items on the beach bed and enjoyed the view of the ocean. Immediately Jorge, our waiter introduced himself to us and we ordered our drinks along w/our lunch order. Shortly thereafter, I met w/Eduardo and began taking photos of us enjoying Uvas. While I was snapping away I noticed that the roofs of the buildings there were roped down so the wind wouldn't blow the palapa roofs away. But the beach and Playa Uvas itself had no damage to any winds of Hurricane Dean. I went snorkeling by myself which of course only lasted about 30 minutes because Ms. Fiona Lomax (our Wedding Consultant) arrived and we had to discuss the details about my WEDDING! (I was so excited!!) Shortly thereafter, I went back to the water and snorkeled some more. I snorkeled for at least 3 hrs by myself. The boys went kayaking and they enjoyed it. They came back with a huge smile and I knew that they enjoyed it. They rested for about 15 minutes and then off we go to our guided snorkel tour. Let me just say: I HAD A BLAST!! I couldn't believe how many fish I was seeing. I don't know the name of all the fish that I've seen but I saw several and different types of fish. I also ended up seeing a stone fish!! The guide came up and said look a stone fish is by that rock and he dove down and got his camera close to the fish and the stone fish moved out of the way...it was awesome seeing the stone fish move. Other people that were snorkeling said that they saw 2 stingrays but I didn't see it. The drinks and fajitas were DELICIOUS. I didn't want to leave Playa Uvas! I wanted to stay there longer. L I had a great time and enjoyed my day there. I didn't have a chance to try out the hammocks or get a massage. I was busy snorkeling my butt off! LOL Maybe I will give them a try when I go back there in December. I enjoyed our waiter, Jorge. He was very friendly and he made sure our drinks were never low. The snorkeling guide was great. He knew where to take us to and showed us several fish.

I highly recommend Playa Uvas to anyone looking for a great relaxing day in Cozumel. Playa Uvas can't be beat!!

I admit...I am selfish...so know in advance! I don't want to leave my great review of Playa Uvas, as I don't want anyone to know about it! The one time a year I go, I want to be the only one there!

Ok so after that horrible personal disclaimer...

I LOVE Playa Uvas. We went on the "hurricane Dean" cruise from hell on the Conquest August 19th. The cruise ended up NOT being the cruise from hell like we were worried about....Ok..Tuesday with like 10ft seas was bad...but rest was great...

We had gone to Playa Uvas last year. It was so nice, there was not a doubt we would go again. So we did. Last year we did nothing. Just walked in, paid admission and ate amazing lunch. We are not much into drinking.

This year we did the all inclusive with clear kayak. As mentioned above, Carmen was there to greet us, they had our name on the welcoming sign ( which my kids thought was super cool!) and our waiter was amazing.

The clear Kayak was great...There were two guides and I so appreciated that as my two teen boys kept getting off course and going out to sea! Ramon kept pulling them back in while I helplessly watched! The Kayak tour was much further than I thought it would be...it was awesome. WARNING! I did not put sunscreen on my legs. I sat legs out in front of me on the kayak and still, 2 weesk later have peeling tops of my legs!

The food was amazing....

My only regret: I did not have cash on me except for cab ride and little extra. Last time I went the umbrellas were free. So I did not know now they were 5 dollars plus 5 dollar deposit. I also would have wanted to leave our Kayak guides and waiter a tip. I was able to leave a tip on credit card for waiter. Other regret: last time we went ( there are 5 of us) we were able to get a mini bus as a cab. This time we had to rent two regular cabs.

We also were hassled much less now that we were able to dock. The ship excusion area looked like a crowded NIGHTmare! We were so glad we did not book a ship excusion. We never do book through ship...it is a rip off.

So Playa Uvas was our best stop on the cruise! Hope we can go next year.

Originally posted by yummykaz:

My only regret: I did not have cash on me except for cab ride and little extra. Last time I went the umbrellas were free. So I did not know now they were 5 dollars plus 5 dollar deposit. I also would have wanted to leave our Kayak guides and waiter a tip. I was able to leave a tip on credit card for waiter. Other regret: last time we went ( there are 5 of us) we were able to get a mini bus as a cab. This time we had to rent two regular cabs.

That's weird. I've been there twice and have never been charged for umbrellas. You said you had the all-inclusive package right? When I went w/my mom, brother & cousin we had the all-inclusive package and I was never charged to use their umbrella. It comes w/the package. I would suggest that you e-mail Eduardo & let him know that you were charged a fee & a deposit to use their umbrellas. I believe that this was someone's mistake and Eduardo should know what happened so that this won't happen again. Please e-mail Eduardo and let him know so that he can take the appropriate action.

Glad to hear you had a great time. :D

My husband and I visited gorgeous Playa Uvas just five days ago. I wish we were still there!!!! It was an amazing day. I booked it last minute so I didn't know if they would be expecting us. Well, Carmen greeted us by name as we stepped out of the taxi. Our name was also on the welcome board. This place definitely knows how to treat their guests!!!! We had the snorkel/drinks package. I told her I wanted a massage with Luz and she informed that Luz has moved on to Playa del Carmen, and introduced me to Gisela. Gisela said she had 15 years experience and that I would not be dissappointed. Carmen introduced us to Ralpael, our server for the day, and instucted him to set up an umbrella for us at a beach bed.(A gratis surprise!!)

We only saw one other couple there and they were heading out for the kayak tour. We were told that when they came back, we could all do the snorkel tour. It seemed like several other small groups came and went during the day. Also, a few dive/snokel/kayak groups came and got their equipment and set off for tours throughout the day. But we didn't seem crowded out by them, they came and went. Raphael kept us in beverages all day, and asked if we wanted to order food, but was not pushy about that at all. When the other couple came back from Kayaking, snorkeling instructions began for them and my husband. My husband said I would not be going because I wasn't comfortable with it. Between the guide and the other couple, they talked me into it. I just didn't want to hold anyone back, because I didn't think I could do it (I USED to be SO not a water person) They were all so nice and assured me that they wouldn't mind and were so sweet about it that I thought I would try. I am so glad that I did. It was amazing!! I was so proud of myself I just relxed and had the time of my life. Laura, our tour guide was great. She was extremely informative and patient, she really put me at ease. She said she normally has about 30 people in a group so I felt very spoiled to have the wonderful tour that we did. We were out there for at least an hour. When we got out of the water, Raphael was waiting with beverages, what a guy!! A while later, I had my massage with Gisela. I know everyone has raved about Luz, but, I can't imagine anyone doing a better job than Gisela. This is true paradise!!!! A lovely massage with the sound of waves breaking, nothing could have been more relaxing.

The hammocks were great also. I couldn't get my husband in the pool with the ocean right there, but I took a short dip. It also was gorgeous. Our whole day was perfect!!!! We did not want to leave!! We can not wait to go back. I'm hoping that our next trip to Cozumel will be a week vacation instead of a cruise stop. After eleven cruises, Cozumel still remains my favorite place to be. We have done different things every time we have been here, and all were great. I plan on spending many days at Playa Uvas on our next trip. Simply the best deal, best service at a beautiful place. I will be back. Perhaps a beach vow renewal..........................................

Lisaanne

Sounds awesome!! Can you tell me how much was your massage?? I dont guess it was the $20.00 they charge in Costa Maya was it? I was hopeing to get one around that price range :rolleyes:

Sounds like a wonderful place. So the snorkel is a GUIDED tour? Just what we need.

Danielle

I've read through some of the posts but can't tell - do you have to book Playa Uvas in advance or can you just go there on a whim when you arrive? It sounds great, but not sure I want to commit to anything until I see what we feel like doing that day. On our last cruise, we booked a ton of excursions and wound up exhausting ourselves.

Thanks!

First--The massage was $60 for 60 minutes---heaven. I also had a $20 -45 minute massage at Costa Maya, which was fine, but...no comparison. Gisela at Playa Uvas is the BEST!!!!!!!It was worth every peso.

Second--You can just show up, no reservations needed. $7 entrance and then pay for whatever you want. But if you sre staying for the day, a package is well worth it. You can book the packages also when you just show up.Again, great day, great place. We will be back.

I've read through some of the posts but can't tell - do you have to book Playa Uvas in advance or can you just go there on a whim when you arrive? It sounds great, but not sure I want to commit to anything until I see what we feel like doing that day. On our last cruise, we booked a ton of excursions and wound up exhausting ourselves.

Thanks!

You CAN just walk in and pay the entrance fee...but if you reserve in advance you are guaranteed a spot.

Uvas takes reservations so that they can control the amount of people and insure a great experience for it's guests. Reservations allow them to serve the freshest ingredients because they know about how many people to prepare food for.

At least drop Eduardo a line to let him know you're thinking of stopping by...eduardoczm@gmail.com...if you're not ready to book a reservation.