Playa Uvas

rscima

You could easily walk from Playa Uvas to Chankanaab...it's about 10 minutes. It's an easy walk, but watch for cars!

OR,

if it's too hot, catch a taxi right outside Playa Uvas for about $5 for 4 people, and about a 1-2 minute ride.

We will have a party of 13, ages ranging from 9 - 71. I am trying to decide between Chank Park & Play Uvas. Some mentioned that Playa Uvas is more "adult" oriented. We will have a 9, 10 & two 12 year olds with us. I don't like the "touristy" aspects of Chank (swimming w dolphins, sea lion show, etc). We just want to snorkel, swim & enjoy the day.

We have some beginner snorkelers, else I'd probably go to Dzul Ha or something.

How does the snorkeling at Playa Uvas compare to Chank. Park?

Could anyone tell me which would be a better choice for a group with a wide age range?

It is not economically feasible to visit both & pay entry fees at both places so I will just have to pick one place. Thanks for your help!

We will have a party of 13, ages ranging from 9 - 71. I am trying to decide between Chank Park & Play Uvas. Some mentioned that Playa Uvas is more "adult" oriented. We will have a 9, 10 & two 12 year olds with us. I don't like the "touristy" aspects of Chank (swimming w dolphins, sea lion show, etc). We just want to snorkel, swim & enjoy the day.

We have some beginner snorkelers, else I'd probably go to Dzul Ha or something.

How does the snorkeling at Playa Uvas compare to Chank. Park?

Could anyone tell me which would be a better choice for a group with a wide age range?

It is not economically feasible to visit both & pay entry fees at both places so I will just have to pick one place. Thanks for your help!

I can't compare Playa Uvas vs. Chank Park...but if you think about I believe they are what...200 yards away or so..only a min. drive in a taxi..so I would assume the snorkeling would probably be the same. I really don't know I'm just assuming.

But when I went there in Aug. my brother and cousing came w/us & they are 14 yrs. old and they had a blast!! They did the snorkel & kayak combo and they enjoyed it very much. They weren't bored at all. I was worried about it but they spent the majority of their time in the water snorkeling looking for stingrays, conch, sea shells, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure that they'll have fun at Playa Uvas.

I usually have a group from 20 up to 78 yrs old. We ALL have a great time at Uvas...there are 15 of us going in January!

Chankanaab is the same reef that Uvas snorkles. Playa Uvas is inside the Chankanaab Federal Marine Park, that's why Uvas has to charge the admission fee.

If you're not into the dolphin swim, etc. that Chank offers...choose Playa Uvas. Check out their packages, available online for advanced reservations...you'll save money!

I'm not sure if we are interested in the all inclusive food & drink. I am thinking about just doing the entrance & snorkel or kayak. We have our own snorkel gear.

I found a 15% off food/drink on the cozumelinsider website.

Are we allowed to bring our own bottled water in? I plan to eat there & have some drinks, but I really would love to bring my own water. Please let me know if this is acceptable!

I'm not sure if we are interested in the all inclusive food & drink. I am thinking about just doing the entrance & snorkel or kayak. We have our own snorkel gear.

I found a 15% off food/drink on the cozumelinsider website.

Are we allowed to bring our own bottled water in? I plan to eat there & have some drinks, but I really would love to bring my own water. Please let me know if this is acceptable!

It never occurred to me to bring in my own water, so I don't know the answer to your question!

I'd email Eduardo and ask...and if you like shrimp, try the cerviche!! YUM! :D

1347853768_Uvasfishplate.jpg.373b9cad88b3399c2ba37895f3786abc.jpg

DSC00324.jpg.798576854cb271ebf632fb4cbf4c89b0.jpg

Just thought that I would share some pics of Playa Uvas of when I went there in August, after Hurricane Dean passed through the area.

Before I start posting pics of Playa Uvas, I must post a pic of this guy. We saw him downtown making beautiful paintings using his fingers!:eek:

P1000502.jpg

Okay, on to Playa Uvas!!

The wonderful hammocks!!

P1000515.jpg

The jewelery....

P1000513.jpg

Temporary tatoo booth

P1000514.jpg

The massage table

P1000511.jpg

Normally the massage area and the booth where they sell the jewelery will be on the left hand side but Playa Uvas moved several things around b/c of the hurricane.

The roof is normally covered but they removed the top layer so it wouldn't fly away when Hurricane Dean passed through...thankfully, Dean went another route!

P1000516.jpg

Here's a group of ppl that are getting ready to go kayaking, but they have to listen to the instructor for some rules first.

P1000522.jpg

The beach!

P1000507.jpg

I love this picture!!

HPIM0420.jpg

HPIM0418.jpg

And here's a pic of our meal!

HPIM0415.jpg

The last 3 pictures are from when I went to Playa Uvas in Jan., 2007.

Here's are some more pics of Uvas. ( Jan. 2007)

HPIM0399.jpg

HPIM0421.jpg

HPIM0417.jpg

Strawberry daquiri were soo good!!

These are some of the pics that I was able to download on photobucket! (it took forever and a day to download them!)

I'll post some more when I come back from my wedding! :)

Has anyone done this deal from their website? If so how much is a Taxi to go there? Was the snorkeling good as it would be at Chankanaab National Park or is Chankanaab better?

http://www.playauvas.com/Index.asp

AUV-1 Uvas All Inclusive Beach Pass

Includes:

Entrance Fee to Playa Uvas, Full snorkel gear for unlimited time (inflatable life vest, mask, fins & snorkel) , 45 minutes Guided Shore Snorkel Tour , 45 minute Guided Clear Kayak Tour , Marine park fees , Chicken or beef fajitas or fish filet plate per adult. One club sandwich or hamburger per child , Open bar (domestic coke, sprite, juice, water bottle, beer, rum, tequila margaritas, daiquiris etc) , use of one locker per family or couple. Use of one beach towel per person.

Adult us$59.00, Children under 12 years us$42.00

Has anyone done this deal from their website? If so how much is a Taxi to go there? Was the snorkeling good as it would be at Chankanaab National Park or is Chankanaab better?

I've done the package specials...different ones on different visits. Great value for the price! I love the Fish Fillet plate! And when ordering off the menu, I like the shrimp cerviche.

From Punta Langosta Pier a taxi for 4 people should cost you around $10-$12 each way.

Playa Uvas is privileged to share part of the reef system of Chankanaab National Marine Park...one reason Uvas has to charge an admission fee. This is a federal protected area. The snorkeling should be similiar since they share the same reef, although I have never snorkeled at Chankanaab.

Has anyone been there lately? I'm having withdrawals and would love to read a review and see pictures!! :)

We were just there on October 29th. Playa Uvas completely changed my opinion of Cozumel (hated it on the first trip.) We did the all-inclusive pass with the snorkel tour and had an wonderful, relaxing day. Carmen is a gracious host, and Raul, our waiter, took great care of us all day. I'm a newbie snorkeler so I don't know how the snorkeling was but it was fun and we saw some neat coral and fish. Wish I were back there now with a Sol and that yummy grilled grouper for lunch.

I wish I had a picture of the cab on the way back - the spedometer was broken and had a picture of the Virgin Mary taped over the spedometer :eek: :eek: :eek: . Here's a few for you....

11-5-2007-07.jpg.33595d88bd3fd85166578120cc55a34b.jpg

11-5-2007-24.jpg.d40e47ceb2728b279f0930f3642e1ce9.jpg

11-5-2007-23.jpg.b01600d34872403897a6a8df8028ce5a.jpg

Friday, November 02, we went to Playa Uvas. We had booked the $29 snorkel and all you can drink package. We were on the HAL ship Veendam and arrived around 1:00 PM. A $10 taxi ride later we were at Playa Uvas. They had our names displayed on their check in sign and we were in immediately. We stopped by the snorkel desk to see about the next snorkel tour. Since we were the only ones around Roman (spelling?) said "when do you want to go". Ten minutes later we were heading up the beach to do a drift snorkel. It was a wavy day and my wife was having issues with her mask. She isn't a strong swimmer so Roman had her hold on to the life raft that he brought along. Roman took us out and showed us various fresh water vents in the ocean. I have a new Olympus SW 770 camera that does both still and video underwater and this was the first time I got to use it. Roman was impressed with the camera and used it to take pictures at the bottom since I haven't mastered the skill of diving down.

Once back at the beach we elected not to snorkel again so we showered and sat under the covered area of the bar \ restaurant. Before we were even hardly out of the shower the bar staff was asking what we wanted to drink. There was a pleasant breeze so we relaxed there for a while and then moved to a couple hammocks that they have. Where ever we were at someone would check with us regularly to see if we needed anything. This wasn't so frequent to be annoying but was rather 'just right' timing wise. A staff member spent a lot of time talking to my wife. She studies Spanish and is trying to learn to speak it better. He was very patient and I think that they both had a good time doing this.

There are a lot of pleasant palm trees around and I spent some time filming the area.

Eventually we noticed that we were the last visitors there so we felt like it was time to head back to the ship. The staff had been there all day and I'm sure that they were tired. In no way shape or form were we pressured to leave though. I think we left around 4:30 and they close at 5:00 anyway.

I felt like this afternoon was the highlight of the ports we went to. It was very relaxing and I can't see anything that should be improved on. The staff was attentive and fun. The snorkel staff made sure that my wife was OK. The site is beautiful. They stereo that they had was good and also not too loud such that we were in a party mood.

It was a great way to spend an afternoon and we will return there again.

Stir,

I see you made plans to be on the Ecstasy on Sept. 6, 2008. Are you going to visit Uvas?

Since my first visit to Uvas in 2005, I make it a point to stop by there every time I'm in Cozumel...at the very least, for lunch!

So, yes...I'll be visiting Uvas on that trip. It's a group cruise I helped put together, and we have about 75 people already signed up and booked to go!

Some will visit Uvas, and some will do other excursions!

I'll be back at Uvas on February 2, 2008, too...can't get enough of the place!

We were just there on October 29th. Playa Uvas completely changed my opinion of Cozumel (hated it on the first trip.) We did the all-inclusive pass with the snorkel tour and had an wonderful, relaxing day. Carmen is a gracious host, and Raul, our waiter, took great care of us all day. I'm a newbie snorkeler so I don't know how the snorkeling was but it was fun and we saw some neat coral and fish. Wish I were back there now with a Sol and that yummy grilled grouper for lunch.

I wish I had a picture of the cab on the way back - the spedometer was broken and had a picture of the Virgin Mary taped over the spedometer :eek: :eek: :eek: . Here's a few for you....

[ATTACH]62071[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62072[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62073[/ATTACH]

Thank you so much for posting pics of Uvas!!! LOVE EM!!

Since my first visit to Uvas in 2005, I make it a point to stop by there every time I'm in Cozumel...at the very least, for lunch!

So, yes...I'll be visiting Uvas on that trip. It's a group cruise I helped put together, and we have about 75 people already signed up and booked to go!

Some will visit Uvas, and some will do other excursions!

I'll be back at Uvas on February 2, 2008, too...can't get enough of the place!

I would go again on the Ecstasy, but I'm going to try to see if I can book the Conquest this time. I agree w/you I can't get enought of Uvas either!! :D

Miata--

Thanks for posting your review. Roman is great isn't he? He had to tug my friend and my df whenever we went snorkeling too!! He's a great tour guide! Will you be posting your underwater pics?!?

We were in Uvas last week and it was a fun and relaxing place. Carmen and Raul were wonderful and took great care of us. The drinks were good and the food great.

The only negative comment is about the beach. It was extremely harsh sand and rocks. It was very difficult to enter the water because of the rocks. There really wasn't sand, only rocks. I had my parents with me and they were unable to manage the snorkling due to these rocks. I would go back for the beach, food, drinks, and hospitality, but would skip the snorkle and ocean swimming.

The only drawback to our day was that we left our water shoes on the ship! The beach is rocky at the edge and there was some glass around. We did ok with our sandals, though.

In defense of Playa Uvas (about the glass):

The adjacent beach areas on either side of Uvas are used by local families on Sundays. They don't always pick up after themselves. The staff at Uvas is out bright and early on Monday mornings cleaning the area of debris, and they continue to look for problems (glass, etc.) each day.

If you see glass or anything else that needs attention, please bring it to the attention of the staff. They'll take care of it quickly!