Playa Uvas

rscima

My family and I visited Playa Uvas on April 4. We had a great time! There were 8 of us; 2 adults and 6 teenagers. We purchased the package that was $39/pp which included snorkeling, fajita lunch (very good) and open bar. I booked directly through Playa Uvas Website and it was much cheaper than booking through the cruise. Well worth every penny!! After the guided snorkel tour and lunch, my husband and step-son went out and snorkeled on their own for a while. The rest of us enjoyed the sun, beach, & pool at Playa Uvas. Everything was very clean. Keko was our waiter for the day and he took wonderful care of us. We loved it there!!! I'm so happy we picked Playa Uvas!:)

My family visited Playa Uvas on April 14th. We found the place to be very nice and clean. Yes, it's not very big, but the service and scenery makes up for the size. We did the snorkel, open bar & lunch package. The lunch was very good, and Kiko kept the drinks flowing, alcohol & sodas. The snorkeling was nice. We saw lots of fish, stingray, lobster. The only complaint I had - you have to walk a long ways to snorkel. And then walk back to the beach. We enjoyed the trip overall - very pleasant.

We did the all inclusive. Everybody says you get greeted by name but that didn't happen. I had prior reservations and was on the list. When we got there (one of the first groups) they told us to go stand over there and basically forgot about us. We sat around for for 2 hours with me constantly asking when we were going to get started before we did our first tour. After the kayak and snorkeling we ate lunch around 2 so got a couple of drinks in (good service on the drinks) but by 3 had to leave to catch the boat. Getting the ALL inclusive was a waste of money, I had 7 people in my group and the main concern was for the groups off the boat that were coming in. Next time somewhere else for sure.

We did the all inclusive. Everybody says you get greeted by name but that didn't happen. I had prior reservations and was on the list. When we got there (one of the first groups) they told us to go stand over there and basically forgot about us. We sat around for for 2 hours with me constantly asking when we were going to get started before we did our first tour. After the kayak and snorkeling we ate lunch around 2 so got a couple of drinks in (good service on the drinks) but by 3 had to leave to catch the boat. Getting the ALL inclusive was a waste of money, I had 7 people in my group and the main concern was for the groups off the boat that were coming in. Next time somewhere else for sure.

Sorry to hear you did not have a good experience there. We were there in Feb. and had a wonderful time. We did not have any problems with the service that day. Uvas really is a nice and friendly place. I know first impressions are hard to change, but you should try to give things a second chance sometimes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

b2dave--

Please send an email to Eduardo and let him know. I'm not sure if Carmen wasn't there or not but please let him know of your experience. It's sad to hear that you did not have a good experience but this is not like Playa Uvas. They have always greeted several ppl by names and normally their service is exceptional. I would also give them another try.

My family and I visited Playa Uvas on April 4. We had a great time! There were 8 of us; 2 adults and 6 teenagers. We purchased the package that was $39/pp which included snorkeling, fajita lunch (very good) and open bar. I booked directly through Playa Uvas Website and it was much cheaper than booking through the cruise. Well worth every penny!! After the guided snorkel tour and lunch, my husband and step-son went out and snorkeled on their own for a while. The rest of us enjoyed the sun, beach, & pool at Playa Uvas. Everything was very clean. Keko was our waiter for the day and he took wonderful care of us. We loved it there!!! I'm so happy we picked Playa Uvas!:)

Thanks for posting your review..I"m so jealous i wish i was there right now!! LOL

DH and I went to Uvas in early April. We had a very good time and would definitely go back. We weren't greeted by name or anything like I always hear about, but Uvas had our reservation all set and we just paid, got our wristband, and went in. We were a little bit annoyed, because a group had just left to go kayaking, so we had to wait for another guide who wouldn't be there for another hour. The good news was, there were only 4 other people on our kayak tour, and two of those four didn't join us for snorkeling. So it was very close to a private tour, which was awesome. I wasn't very impressed by the snorkeling -- there just wasn't a lot to see except schools of fish. No rays, no turtles, no really unusual looking fish. My husband really liked it though. We used disposable waterproof cameras to take pics, but the quality is terrible.

As far as Uvas itself, it was great. The beach chairs were comfy, and there were plenty of umbrellas. The food was DELICIOUS. We had the fajita lunch that came with our package, and it was just unbelievably good. We devoured every morsel in record time. On the negative side, I agree with a previous poster who said the flies were very annoying. They were flying all over our food and doing kamikaze nose dives at my face.

After the kayak tour and the snorkel tour, we dried off and had our lunch, then relaxed on the beach until the very last minute when we had to get back to the cruise ship. I felt like I could have laid there for the rest of my life. Our waiter brought us margaritas and waters, and I hope I never forget the brilliant blue color of that water for the rest of my life. It was truly paradise.

Here are a few photos of Playa Uvas:

2352365990105058984oHFDtP_th.jpg

2909404810105058984Tltqcf_th.jpg

2670870620105058984HjYtuL_th.jpg

2619092620105058984DvRrIK_th.jpg

2192841950105058984JockqZ_th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
DH and I went to Uvas in early April. We had a very good time and would definitely go back. We weren't greeted by name or anything like I always hear about, but Uvas had our reservation all set and we just paid, got our wristband, and went in. We were a little bit annoyed, because a group had just left to go kayaking, so we had to wait for another guide who wouldn't be there for another hour. The good news was, there were only 4 other people on our kayak tour, and two of those four didn't join us for snorkeling. So it was very close to a private tour, which was awesome. I wasn't very impressed by the snorkeling -- there just wasn't a lot to see except schools of fish. No rays, no turtles, no really unusual looking fish. My husband really liked it though. We used disposable waterproof cameras to take pics, but the quality is terrible.

As far as Uvas itself, it was great. The beach chairs were comfy, and there were plenty of umbrellas. The food was DELICIOUS. We had the fajita lunch that came with our package, and it was just unbelievably good. We devoured every morsel in record time. On the negative side, I agree with a previous poster who said the flies were very annoying. They were flying all over our food and doing kamikaze nose dives at my face.

After the kayak tour and the snorkel tour, we dried off and had our lunch, then relaxed on the beach until the very last minute when we had to get back to the cruise ship. I felt like I could have laid there for the rest of my life. Our waiter brought us margaritas and waters, and I hope I never forget the brilliant blue color of that water for the rest of my life. It was truly paradise.

Here are a few photos of Playa Uvas:

2352365990105058984oHFDtP_th.jpg

2909404810105058984Tltqcf_th.jpg

2670870620105058984HjYtuL_th.jpg

2619092620105058984DvRrIK_th.jpg

2192841950105058984JockqZ_th.jpg

thanks for posting pics!! I miss Playa Uvas!! *tear!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Playa Uvas for the fourth time the week before the ships stopped going there and I’ve just now had a chance to write a review. I’m so glad the ships are returning to Cozumel and encourage you to spend a day at this resort.

As usual, we had a great day at Uvas! We were met by Carmen’s smiling face and shown to our chair front-row beachside. This trip, we opted for just the open bar and beach day because we’ve done the snorkeling and kayaking before. If you haven’t done them, it’s a great place for both snorkeling and for kayaking. I thought the kayaking might be too hard for me to do when we did it but it wasn’t hard at all and was actually relaxing.

I was happy with my strawberry margarita’s and my dh with his beer so we just relaxed the day away. It was incredibly clean as always. After a while, we went up to order lunch and split an order of nachos and the fajitas. I can’t tell you how good those fajitas and their guacamole are! We’ve been to a lot of restaurants in Mexico but I think the fajitas are the best at Uvas. It was more food than 2 people could eat and so reasonable! (We didn’t have lunch included in our package because we like to order from the menu.)

Many ship tours came and went but they never disturbed us. In fact, we would see them for a few minutes as they came in or went out in their kayaks and some stayed at the beach for a while but it was never crowded.

My dh got a massage from Betty. $1 per minute and he loved every minute of it and said it was very good. I went shopping in the little shop and still recommend that you ask for Solidad’s jewelry - they still carry it at Uvas although she is now in Cancun area. Her glass fusion jewelry is so pretty and extremely reasonable. I think I have 4 sets now and have brought back many more necklace/earring sets as gifts.

If you’re looking for a great snorkel and kayak experience, good food and drinks and a relaxing beach and atmosphere, Playa Uvas is the place to go!

Thanks Eduardo and Carmen and staff for another wonderful day. You know we’ll be back!

2349669920029775315S425x425Q85.jpg

2602971020029775315S425x425Q85.jpg

2058519430029775315S425x425Q85.jpg

2460273730029775315S425x425Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This may have been asked on here, but I have only gone through 20 or so pages. If you sign up for the Diving trip, do you need to be certified? Or can first timers go diving with Playa Uvas?

To answer your questions:

I believe these are the options that you do if you are not a certified diver. I hope this helps you out! Let me know if you have any questions.

UV-9 Uvas Discover SCUBA Instruction | US $75.00

Entrance fee to Playa Uvas

From Uvas Beach, This is a safe and fun introduction to the adventurous world of scuba diving for beginners,

Children 10 and over and non-certified divers. One tank and all equipment included!

Marine Park fees

Adult or child US $75.00

AUV-16 Discover Scuba Instruction Uvas Plus | US $130.00

Entrance fee to Playa Uvas

This is a safe and fun introduction to the adventurous world of scuba diving for beginners , includes in-water dive Padi instructor, lessons, ocean shore practice, one tank from the beach diving to Chankanaab or Paraiso reef, boat ride to the big reef, one tank from boat diving at Palancar or Colombia reef

Children 10 and over and non-certified divers. two tanks and all equipment included!

Marine Park fees

Adult or child US $130.00

And for those of you who have never met them, this is Carmen and Eduardo - two of the nicest folks you'll ever meet!

2199974930029775315S425x425Q85.jpg

ahhh! Thanks for posting this pic!! It's good to see a pic of them!! I love em!! They are the nicest people you will ever meet!

BTW, great review! I enjoyed your pictures and your review! :D

We truly dislike paying the high prices that cruises charge for tours so we decided to go out on our own. I found Playa Uvas online and booked about a week in advance since we were still up in the air if we would even go to Mexico because of the stupid swine flu scare. We easily side stepped the people selling tours and found the actual taxis that took us there. It was a very quick taxi ride (around 20 for the 8 people in a van). We quickly checked in and my husband left to do his scuba dive. My daughter(7) and son (5) and I stayed to snorkel and relax. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!! The beaches are different from where we have been (a little rocky right by the shore)but we quickly learned they were full of beautiful fish and even saw a sting ray! Wear water shoes and you will be fine, but the people we travelled with did not have them and they were fine. I have never seen such clear water. The people that worked there were very friendly and several spoke English pretty well. Our lunch was delicious! Yummy guacamole!!! We did the snorkel tour and it was great too! Don't pay the high prices the cruise line charges! Our cruise did not even offer this place and you are able to avoid the large crowds too!

Wih everything that went on, I thought we would not be able to make it to Cozumel, but fortunately, our ship, Freedom OS, did make it Thursday the 28 of May to the island - I think we were the second cruise ship to arrive in Cozumel after all that happened. Uvas was like always, with its beautiful, well-tended gardens, clean bathrooms, etc... Carmen, as always, greeted us very lovingly; Kiko was the one taking care of us, so he arranged the lounging chairs on the first row, right in front of the ocean, and he was always looking in on us to check on my margarita glass was never empty :D. Because it was our 4th time at Uvas, we asked Eduardo to make reservations for the all inclusive package, but with no tours; our plan was for total relaxation and that's what we did. I took my book "The 6th Target", by James Patterson (can't put it down, don't want it to end) LOL!!! My DH went snorkeling (which he loves!!). The day was wonderful, lots of sun and just a welcome breeze which made the day perfect for a dip in the ocean, and we did. We had guacamole and fish filet - all absolutely delicious - then after lunch I went to get a massage from Betty and after that I was perfectly ready for more relaxation - by the way, I again saw the glass fusion earrings and necklaces (by Soledad), and this time I took advantage and bought a pair for me and a couple more as gifts for my mother in law and my friends - they all loved them! Soleda's work creating those pieces of jewelry is unbelievable; I recommend it because of the incredible craftsmanship. Then, around 2 pm it was time to say goodbye to Carmen, Kiko and all the rest of the staff - I really don't have any idea when we'll be back, but if not by ship, maybe by air and then we'll be able to stay for a week (like when we got our scuba certification). Thanks to Eduardo and Carmen for another lovely day! (In the photo, Carmen and Eduardo).

Does anyone know how much it costs just to participate in the clear kayak tour and the snorkel tour? I've seen a lot of packages including lunch and drinks, but my family's just planning to take a taxi there and see what activities happen to interest us on the spot. Thanks!

Does anyone know how much it costs just to participate in the clear kayak tour and the snorkel tour? I've seen a lot of packages including lunch and drinks, but my family's just planning to take a taxi there and see what activities happen to interest us on the spot. Thanks!

Uvas usually only takes reservations so you might want to e-mail them and check on that before you make definite plans about it. They have a website. Just google.

I would go back in a heart beat, in fact I am. I have a B2B booked in sept/oct and plan to go to uvas at least one of the days and then another B2B in feb and will go back for another day.

Hi to Carmen and Eduardo and all of the staff from the BIG GUY FROM IOWA. Carmen I will try to bring you some snow in february.

Last year, my wife found Playa Uvas through this website. We had such a wonderful time that we had to go back this year. We cruised on the Conquest leaving June 21.

As expected, Carmen greeted us by name as we stepped out of the taxi and gave us both a big hug! And, to our pleasant surprise, the entire staff was the same as last year! Service was amazing, even though there were several tours that came through as part of the cruise ship packages. We always felt like we had our own personal staff to wait on us! Talk about spoiled! Food was great! Roman did a great job of leading the clear kayak tour. Jacquin (I probably misspelled his name...sorry!) did a wonderful job keeping us supplied in drinks! He is about the sweetest kid we have ever had the pleasure of talking with.

The beach was spotless. The chairs and shade were abundant and comfortable. Everything was perfectly maintained.

My wife had a massage that was wonderful. I could tell by the smile on her face and the dreamy look in her eyes afterwards!

The only problem was the flies (actually, small gnats) were a bit thick. Our waiter kept the table clean and set up a fan behind us to drive them away. So, the annoyance was very minimal. It definitely did not spoil a perfect day in any way!

When it was time to leave, there was a taxi waiting for us. I swear Carmen and Eduardo have ESP and can read our minds!

It was truly another perfect day in paradise. We can't wait to return!

After reading and reading all the treats and tours that Cozumel offered us, and I really mean it, there are so many beautiful activities that its really a problem to choose one.;) My DH and I talked and talked and finally we made an agreement!:D I', the lazy type that likes to relax, lay under an umbrella on a beachlounger and sipping the biggest margarita that I can find. And my DH loves to snokl, swim and he took the tour to go in a kayak. He is the sportsman, I'm the lazy woman. That's why we ended going and taking the tours to Playa Uvas, it's a magical spot where you'll find everything that you like doing, besides, you'll never regret going and spending a day there.

I went all around the tread and the websites, but couldn't find prices for earring and necklaces that are made of glass fussion; Want to buy something different for my friends back in the states; if you know something about glass fussion by Sole, would you please let me know????? TIA:confused::confused:

Edited by missyfu

I'm so glald you decided to go to Uvas; we've been there 4 times and I'm sure you'll love it. As for Sole's jewelry, I cannot really give you exact prices beause they're all handmade and they're unique. I was there not long ago, and just to say something, the earrings were between and $12 and $15 dlls., the necklaces were around $14 and $20 dlls. She also has incense burners and ashtrays priced between $20 and $24 dlls. I bought several things and asked for a discount, and the girl in charge gave it to me, LOL. Just to give you an idea, we had a small problem on the ship, and the Cruise Director assistant helped us solve it, and I wanted to get something special, so I bought her a pair of Sole's earrings and she loved them - I know this because she wore them twice during the cruise.. Imagine all those crew members, they've been in all the stores on the Islands and ports... what haven't they seen already?? But she loved the earrings :D. So you can be sure that whatever you buy from Sole would be loved by your friends, and also, buy something for you (you never know when you'll be coming back), and besides, I've only seen Sole's jewelry at Uvas.!!!

Hi artseeker now all my emotions went up to the top, sory for not being able to anwer before but the beautiful cruise and one of my daughters its finally getting married in october i have been like a crazy old woman, not too old, jaja neither haven't been able to go into the internet but believe it or not in this era I'm not good at it so forgive my errors In the rest of the islands my DH an our TA :) took control of all our reservations and I found Uvas with the hel of my dauchter when we were looking something different to buy in cozumel for my friends ant that's when I found the the things of Sole I'm not good at the internet you must have noticed it don't know where to find the right punctuation so sorry:mad: thank you for the anser to my doubts about the prices of the earrings and the necklaces I haven't noticed but saw the ashtrays and like them and thouht of buying them and surprise my DH for christmas:eek: now I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time in Uvas and my shopping will be out of this world!!!!!!!! if it hasn't been for Cruise Critic I would never had found somebody that already had bought the glass fussion jewelry so in order to return your kindness promise that as soon as we are back from the cruise I'll write to you with details of everything that we did in Uvas, hope I wont have a terrible hangover with all the margaritas that I'll drink:o cheers to that:)