Playa Uvas

rscima

We use to spend a couple of weeks in the Gulf Shores in Florida-Alabama but we are hesitant to go back cuz the jelly fish were bad. Our last trip we barely spent any time in the water cuz it was so bad. I got stung and boy did it hurt. We tried to do some snorkeling but the jelly fish were so bad. I don't know if it was the time of year or what.

So, how are the jelly fish at playa uvas? I'm scared to death of them. When i got stung, i got stung multiple times. It just whipped me from thigh to thigh. I was walking in the water and when it hit me i jumped and in the process it nailed me back and forth. It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be but it was bad enough. It just fed to my fears of the jelly fish. Maybe I should wear a full body wet suit? lol. :rolleyes:

:confused:

We use to spend a couple of weeks in the Gulf Shores in Florida-Alabama but we are hesitant to go back cuz the jelly fish were bad. Our last trip we barely spent any time in the water cuz it was so bad. I got stung and boy did it hurt. We tried to do some snorkeling but the jelly fish were so bad. I don't know if it was the time of year or what.

So, how are the jelly fish at playa uvas? I'm scared to death of them. When i got stung, i got stung multiple times. It just whipped me from thigh to thigh. I was walking in the water and when it hit me i jumped and in the process it nailed me back and forth. It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be but it was bad enough. It just fed to my fears of the jelly fish. Maybe I should wear a full body wet suit? lol. :rolleyes:

:confused:

We were in and out of the water swimming most of the day and there were no jelly fish. Many many people snorkeled and swam and there were no reports of jelly fish stings.

How about you two take your environmental arguments somewhere else and duke it out so that the rest of us can post reviews and answer questions about Playa Uvas. It would be a shame to have your ongoing issues cause this very informative post to go poof.

Unless evironmental issues are addressed there may be nothing to see while snorkeling, or diving. This does pertain to the thread as it was a UVAS employee that broke the law.

there has to be a balance.

If you are environmentally concerned enough to fight against feeding of fish, how can you participate in supporting the the cruise ships bringing thousands of passengers which im sure are causing the bulk of the damage to the ecosystem of cozumel,other than mother nature herself.

Human interaction has been a part of the natural environment for as long as cozumel has been populated. Fish were being fed by humans. And are all over the world, but i still dont understand why this is suddenly destroying the eco system, when not a word is being mentioned in protest of the cruise industry itself?

This tourism, and the enjoyment of the people who visit the island enriches cozumel as well. I am not saying do not concern yourself with the environment and destroy the natural beauty of cozumel, but i am saying, this is a hyppocritical fight to pick for a cruiser when the accusations directly and unfairly focus directly upon playa uvas, which is also a business which employs the natives of cozumel. The cruise industry by nature is destructive to the natural environment.. the people of the island have to adapt and cater to these cruisers which feed their economy.

but in this case, even if not for cruising, fish and reef of cozumel would still be subject to human interaction, and feeding.

A ship is not allowed to dispense anything other than smoke from the stack until it enters international waters, and even then it has to be controlled.

I dont want to disrupt the thread any further, nor do I want to offend anyone or argue...i just want to make a point, so Ken dont take it personal, i just want to really put something out there for anyone reading to think about. Because its easy for this to become a witch hunt.

the reef and the sea creatures dont go undisturbed by the cruise ships....And the thousands of people it herds in every single day pollute the waters, feed the fish, swim with sunblock, insect repellant and other chemicals... etc.

fish feeding is going to come from cruise passengers bringing cereal off of the boats just for that purpose, whether they are grouped into excursions or in the water on their own. I think the argument that somehow responsibility lies with the beach club and excursion guides for destruction of the eco-system is really misdirected.

People go snorkeling in Cozumel to see the fish. Much like people go to stingray city in Grand Cayman to see the stingrays. If the guides stop feeding the stingrays, then there will no longer be a stingray city...

If guides take tourists on a snorkle excursion and they dont see fish, they are going to start reporting that these excursions are not worthwhile, and youre better off going on your own and bringing cornflakes for the fish, and instead of a few guides feeding fish to bring them out for groups, youre going to have many more individuals taking it upon themselves to coax the fish out of the reef. Its just as likely that it will have negative effects on cozumel's environment and economy..

i mean everything is speculative. But you have to rationalize all sides. There is no concrete evidence that after the damage to the reef due to hurricanes, that the feeding of the fish isnt supplementing the food chain and helping to replenish the sea life surrounding cozumel. Nature is resilient, and we as humans are a PART of the eco-system.

I just think its easy jump on someone without first assessing your own role in the problem you're fighting against.

I dont want to disrupt the thread any further, nor do I want to offend anyone or argue...i just want to make a point, so Ken dont take it personal, i just want to really put something out there for anyone reading to think about. Because its easy for this to become a witch hunt.

the reef and the sea creatures dont go undisturbed by the cruise ships....And the thousands of people it herds in every single day pollute the waters, feed the fish, swim with sunblock, insect repellant and other chemicals... etc.

fish feeding is going to come from cruise passengers bringing cereal off of the boats just for that purpose, whether they are grouped into excursions or in the water on their own. I think the argument that somehow responsibility lies with the beach club and excursion guides for destruction of the eco-system is really misdirected.

People go snorkeling in Cozumel to see the fish. Much like people go to stingray city in Grand Cayman to see the stingrays. If the guides stop feeding the stingrays, then there will no longer be a stingray city...

If guides take tourists on a snorkle excursion and they dont see fish, they are going to start reporting that these excursions are not worthwhile, and youre better off going on your own and bringing cornflakes for the fish, and instead of a few guides feeding fish to bring them out for groups, youre going to have many more individuals taking it upon themselves to coax the fish out of the reef. Its just as likely that it will have negative effects on cozumel's environment and economy..

i mean everything is speculative. But you have to rationalize all sides. There is no concrete evidence that after the damage to the reef due to hurricanes, that the feeding of the fish isnt supplementing the food chain and helping to replenish the sea life surrounding cozumel. Nature is resilient, and we as humans are a PART of the eco-system.

I just think its easy jump on someone without first assessing your own role in the problem you're fighting against.

Excellent post, Indie.

In all fairness, this thread has been enlightening to all of us, but is now deteriorating and moving away from the original intent of the thread.

I would hope that from this time forward anyone who has concerns with Uvas and how they treat the environment will contact Uvas personally and in private. It would be a good idea to visit Playa Uvas for first hand experience before making judgement. You can email Eduardo at eduardoczm@gmail.com with any concerns.

Eduardo has been on vacation for the last several days. I'm sure he will be as surprised as we all were to find that his orders were not followed in his absence and he will handle the matter internally.

There are many, many beach clubs on the Island...if Playa Uvas is not to your liking, there are many more to choose from.

Not to interrupt this great debate, but I would like to again focus on Playa Uvas. (for the record, I agree whole heartedly with Indie. Many signs in many countries are politically connected and not necessarily in the best interest of anyone or anything)

My family spent March 15th at Playa Uvas and would do it again in a heart beat. Carmen greeted us at the entrance and gave us a brief tour. We met our server- Santos, who was very nice and attentive. My kids did the kayak first followed by the snorkeling tour,and had a great time. My 4 year old and I spent that time in the water. While it is not a sandy entrance it is managable with water shoes. The food was fantastic. We all had fajitas- chicken, beef and mixed. No need to comment on the drinks-they just kept coming! I enjoyed this so much, that I wrote on my RCCL comment card that they should consider using Playa Uvas for one of their excursions.

Hola Eduardo- Thank you for a great day!

This is a thread about PLAYA UVAS. It is for people to get information about the place and it's facilites. Could you people who are debating the enviroment please post your own topic and fight somewhere else? Moderators could you please bring this topic back to focus?

Great post.

Excellent post, Indie.

In all fairness, this thread has been enlightening to all of us, but is now deteriorating and moving away from the original intent of the thread.

I would hope that from this time forward anyone who has concerns with Uvas and how they treat the environment will contact Uvas personally and in private. It would be a good idea to visit Playa Uvas for first hand experience before making judgement. You can email Eduardo at eduardoczm@gmail.com with any concerns.

Eduardo has been on vacation for the last several days. I'm sure he will be as surprised as we all were to find that his orders were not followed in his absence and he will handle the matter internally.

There are many, many beach clubs on the Island...if Playa Uvas is not to your liking, there are many more to choose from.

Stircrazy,

Thanks I tried that method first, and now that you say he is on vacation I guess that is why I havent heard back.

Stircrazy,

Thanks I tried that method first, and now that you say he is on vacation I guess that is why I havent heard back.

I'm sure you will hear back from him if you've tried to contact him by email. He's been away from the computer and the Island for several days.

-----

Back to the original intent of this "Playa Uvas" thread:

I've got some photos to post from my recent visit to Uvas. As soon as I figure out how to post them to the thread instead of putting them in an album, I'll have them up here.

(BTW, I will be observant of other's bandwidth, and post small photos and just one per post.)

Our family also visited Playa Uvas last week and we loved it! We arrived very early because day light savings time put us two hours ahead of island time. They were so nice to us and quickly made chairs available and took our lunch order. We enjoyed the beach and then had a great kayak trip and snorkeling trip. When we returned from snorkeling our lunch was ready and served to us. They were so kind and attentive to our group of 14. Everything that they said they would do, they did. We only wish we could have spent more time there. The place was busy, but not overcrowded. I really appreciated that they didn't oversell the day. I would go there again in a heartbeat!

Thanks for the great new reviews of Uvas :) I am sorry for disrupting the thread...I just don't like hypocrisy very much <grin>

Glad to hear that even in the crush of Spring Break and 8 ships in port etc that Uvas was not overcrowded, I think they do a great job

Good to know that Eduardo will be back on ....can't wait to see the new photos...thanks in advance

OK, so now i'm really confused! i know that coz. is on central time so if we leave from an east coast port then the ship is 1 hour ahead of Coz. time,BUT do they or do they not use daylights savings time, i thought they did, but according to the other poster they don't? Please help me!

OK, so now i'm really confused! i know that coz. is on central time so if we leave from an east coast port then the ship is 1 hour ahead of Coz. time,BUT do they or do they not use daylights savings time, i thought they did, but according to the other poster they don't? Please help me!

USA changed before schedule (march 11) this year, but Cozumel and the rest of the world will change to daylight savings april 1st as usual

Hello Everyone,

I will be traveling to cozumel in two weeks time and am interested in going to Playa Uvas. I am a little concerned with their lunch due to some dietary restrictions. On the website to reserve it says that you have a choice of quesidallas. Is that all that I get to pick from?

Do they give you a bigger menu selection.

Please help!

Regards,

Laurie

Hello Laurie, here is the menu posted in August in this thread. However i think if you get a lunch inclusive package, you are limited to the Fish Plate, Chicken or Beef Fajitas, Burgers or Tacos.

I requested this from them a couple of weeks ago, so this should still be accurate, hope this helps...:)

TAPAS PRICE UScy

ENDIBES WITH ROQUEFORT $ 5.00

FRIED CAMEMBERT CHEESE $ 8.00

SALMON & TEPENADE CROSTINI $ 8.00

SMOKED SALMON & POTATO PATTIES $ 9.00

BASIL & GRILLED BELL PEPPERS CROSTINI $ 4.00

CRAB CAKES WITH YOGURT LEMON MAYONNAISE $ 6.00 PASTRY PUFFS MINIPIZZAS $ 5.00

SPRING ROLLS WITH SHRIMP & CRABS $ 9.00

COLD CUT PLATTER salami serrano turkey pastramiwith gouda, camembert and gruyere cheesse $ 9.00

CRUDITIES $ 5.00

SEAFOOD PRICE UScy

FRIED CALAMARI RINGS WITH CURRI DIP $ 9.50

SEAFOOD KEBABS $ 9.00

BELGIUM MUSSELS $ 11.00

FISH CEVICHE UVAS $ 11.00

SHRIMP CEVICHE UVAS $ 11.00

CARACOL CEVICHE UVAS $ 11.00

FISH FILLET garlic, butter or breaded $ 15.00

SHRIMPS garlic, butter or breaded $ 15.00

GRILLED SEAFOOD (2 PEOPLE)lobster, shrimps, squid, fish, snail, calamaries, mussels $ 40.00

MEXICAN FOOD PRICE UScy

CHIPS AND MEXICAN SAUCE $ 4.00

GUACAMOLE UVAS $ 5.00

CHICKEN / CHEESE MEXICAN NACHOS $ 8.00

BEEF / CHEESE MEXICAN NACHOS $ 9.00

SHRIMP / CHEESE MEXICAN NACHOS $ 10.00

CHICKEN / CHEESE MEXICAN QUESADILLAS $ 8.00

BEEF / CHEESE MEXICAN QUESADILLAS $ 9.00

SHRIMP / CHEESE MEXICAN QUESADILLAS $ 10.00

CHICKEN TACOS $ 8.00

BEEF TACOS $ 9.00

SHRIMP TACOS $ 10.00

CHICKEN FAJITAS $ 11.00

BEEF FAJITAS $ 12.00

SHRIMP FAJITAS $ 14.00

SANDWICHES PRICE UScy

CHEESE HAMBURGUER WITH FRENCH FRIES $ 8.00

CLUB SANDWICH WITH FRENCH FRIES $ 9.00

ICE CREAM PRICE UScy

DIFFERENT KIND AND FLAVORS from $3.00 TO $5.00

DRINKSWE HAVE ALMOST 50 DIFFERENT MIXER, FRAPPE AND BRANDS OF DRINKS,EXAMPLES

10 BRANDS OF MEXICAN BEER

DAIQUIRIS STRAWBERRY MANGO ETC

PIÑA COLADA

SCREWDRIVER

MIAMI VICE

BLOODY

MARY

MARGARITA

SLAMER

KAMIZAKE

MOJITO

PALOMA

TEQUILA

JUICES, SODAS, BOTTLE WATER, ETC

I'm trying to figure out how to post this:

Playa Uvas Fish Filet Plate

served with papas fritas (fried potato wedges), or steamed rice, and steamed veggies.

Yum!

stircrzy,

thanks! we already saw the photo and it looks great! now there is no way he doesn't want to go to uvas! as a matter of fact, he already accepted i call Eduardo to get our reservation, so, i'll be there next may!!! :D

regards!