Sea conditions in the Pacific

QE2 fan

There is usually lots on discussion in this forum about weather conditions on the North Atlantic. However, I was wondering if anyone here has had experience of the Pacific on QE2's world cruise. I know conditions vary from one time to another, but, in general, is the Pacific usually calmer than the Atlantic ? Is any particular part of the world cruise known for the likelihood of rough seas? I would like to do the World Cruise while QE2 is still around.

hi., in my and my friends experience i think you'll find that the sea conditions from fiji or tahiti down to New Zealand are usually pretty balmy and calm during the world cruise., the same unfortuantely can not be said of NZ to Australia which is purportedly usually a little on the exciting side of rough... though....given the opportunity of traveling on the qe2 again....it wouldnt put me off.........

True, gross generalization, the Pacific is calmer than the Atlantic.

We've done several trans-Pacifics, various itineraries and varied times of year, and for the most part it has been smooth.

The Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand has a reputation for being rough - but it has been very smooth the three times we crossed it.

Our roughest Pacific experience was in the China Sea, between Hong Kong and Manila, 11-86, trying to outrun back-end of a typhoon on the little Golden Odyssey, a 10,000 tonner.

We had green water over the bridge, screws out of water, and inclinometer pegged several times. It was pretty rough for about 24 hrs.

During WW2 Halsey's Fleet lost three DDs (or DDEs?) to capsizing in a typhoon in same general waters.

We were on the QM2 to Hawaii in February, and it was fairly rough seas. There was a storm that lasted for a couple of days. Many people on board were seasick, including the crew! Some of the crew said that they had never experienced such a storm. I found it to be exciting!

Archived