PG v SeaDream

Anyone able to compare PG to a SeaDream cruise? I've about convinced emy husband that the flight isn't really that long . . . (forcefeeding him ambien should help!)

Would love to have specific comparisions on public areas, food, service, etc.

Does anyone know if the PG ever gets chartered - if so, how much advance notice do you get if you are bumped for a charter?

I notice the cruises in July and August have activities for children . . .any idea about the numbers on board? No problems with children, but when there are no activities, boredom seems to affect atmosphere.

thanks so much.

FT

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd try to reply here, as nobody else has. I suspect the reason is that few here have cruised SeaDream, and therefore can't give you a good personal experience comparisson of that line and the Paul Gauguin (PG). I have not cruised SeaDream, and was not aware that this line offered an "all French Ploynesia" cruise. If this line does offer such an itinerary, I'd like to learn of it.

As to children on the PG, we have spent five weeks on her, and there were always a few children. Given the PG's itinerary and activities, children usually enjoy the same water activities as do the adults. And with the port intensive itinerary, children are not left without these activities long enough to become bored. Bottom line -- I would not expect any problems with children on the PG.

I think that all past PG cruisers agree that the service, public areas, and activities are top notch. We think the food is top notch too, but food is always a subjective matter. Though this ship was built in 1996, she is in first class condition. Guests enjoy the all-casual dining, and the motus (private beach days) where absolutely everything is included. As you may be aware, all soft drinks and water are included onboard at all times. Wine, beer, or cocktails with dinner are included, and the PG cruise provides so many other "drinks included" times that bar bills rarely even exist. And, starting in '07, the PG will be all beverage inclusive 24/7. The PG provides great excursions at a price lower than what you'd expect on many other lines. They are offered as a "service" and not a "profit center". I was told by the tour director on the PG last Sept. that guests' cost is the ship's cost, plus 27% to cover the ship's cost of running the excursion program.

Again, I am not sure that SeaDream offers a comparable itinerary, so I can't compare prices. I can say, however, that fares on the PG have risen less on the PG in the past three years than most "lux line" ships. So, my guess is that you will find the PG attractively priced among competitors with similar quality and itinerary.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard summed up the PG experience qute well. Like Richard, I have never been on the SeaDream so there is not much I can add.

In response to your charter question - I do think that has happened, but as best as I can remember they have given at least several months notice. Last year we benefited from the change to Grand Circle who sold mostly the F and level 4 E cabins and we were offered a free upgrade to an E cabin on level 6. We had booked 9 months in advance and they only changed our cabin assignment after receiving our OK.

In regard to the long flight my advise is to stay awake on the way over and go to bed early your first night. Do try to spend at least one night in a hotel in Tahiti before boarding the ship so that you are well rested and can enjoy every moment on the PG. On your return flight, when you'll most likely be flying overnight, take your Ambien or whatever as soon as possible after the plane is in the air. On our first trip my husband did not fall asleep with his first Ambien and he took a second one about 3 or 4 hours into the flight. He had a drug hangover through LAX and on our final leg home.

• 1 month later...

I haven't tried cruising the PG or any of the Regent at this time, though I am planning on a Regent cruise soon. I have been on the SeaDream Yacht Club and its a wonderful cruise line. They only have small ships, 60 cabins equals 120 passengers, so it is very intimate between crew and passengers. Its very easy to get to know most of the other passengers.

MLCPA

been on both, pg all the way, better food, better service,

not nearly as stuffy, better wines with dinner, on the pg,

you could actually talk to other passengers and have a great

conversation instead of everyone trying to "puff" themselves up.

We have a group of 10 booked on the january 07 presidents cruise for

2 weeks, cant wait.....

What's the difference if you book with Regent vs. Grand Circle? And does anyone know the difference in staterooms from, say a D class to a B or C class, and is it worth the extra money? We are booked on another PG cruise;absolutely loved the other one we have done. Who could get tired of the PG.

Archived