Luggage...Favorites?

Can anyone reccomend great luggage? I am looking for something that holds a ton, and organizes it too. I have one piece that I would love to duplicate that I bought years ago, on QVC of all places,and it is amazing! It has a garment holder, all kinds of compartments, zippered pouches for jewelry.... it's wonderful but I have never been able to find more like it.

I prefer it to be solid color.

Thanks,

Heather

I lucked up on several pieces of Samsonite at TJ MAXX. Dark green, sturdy, large, and has a suiter inside one piece. I love the wheel system. You don't have to tilt the bag to roll it. It has inline skate wheels that swivel so you can turn the bag in any direction and it still rolls smoothly. GREAT for the carryon because you can pull it sideways through the narrow asiles of the plane.

I have several pieces of luggage that are very nice. My most recent purchase was a rollaboard from TravelPro. It came with every accessory you can think of. I love the handle, it is so much easier to roll than the typical straight across handle.

Here is a link to the 29" case:

http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelID=47028&Subcategory_Link=Details_Travelpro_47028

Perhaps a little pricier than what you might find at QVC, but the quality is superior and I feel my case will last for years to come. I chose this case over both more and less expensive counterparts. I do suggest you go to a luggage store, or department store and try them out first, rolling them on different surfaces, lifting, checking zippers. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I put a lot of investigation into a suitcase before purchase, I want it to work and last a long time.

I packed everything I needed in my 22" case, plus a toiletry case, for a long weekend.

I have several pieces of luggage that are very nice. My most recent purchase was a rollaboard from TravelPro. It came with every accessory you can think of. I love the handle, it is so much easier to roll than the typical straight across handle.

http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelID=47028&Subcategory_Link=Details_Travelpro_47028

Perhaps a little pricier than what you might find at QVC, but the quality is superior and I feel my case will last for years to come. I chose this case over both more and less expensive counterparts. I do suggest you go to a luggage store, or department store and try them out first, rolling them on different surfaces, lifting, checking zippers. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I put a lot of investigation into a suitcase before purchase, I want it to work and last a long time.

I packed everything I needed in my 22" case, plus a toiletry case, for a long weekend.

I think that TravelPro is very good as well. The only thing I want to mention is that given the airlines weight restrictions to be careful with a 29" piece of luggage. We have found that depending on how you fill up a 29" piece that it can easily go above the 29" weight restriction so of late we've purchasing pieces smaller than 29".

Keith

Keith, I have to agree with you, but the smaller (26 inch) case is only 2 lbs lighter. I know you are thinking about how much extra a larger bag will hold, but it's not the packing space, it's the weight of the stuff in the bag that makes the difference. I think people just need to learn to pack lighter, and give up the thought that they have to have a different pair of shoes for every outfit they pack.

I also use my suitcase for clothing only and pack my toiletries in my carry on. My makeup and skincare are not only costly, I'd hate for any of it to spill and ruin my clothes, then not have my favorites along. I never have a weight problem with my 29" case.

It's been a shock for people that the airlines are now enforcing their weight limitations and it will take a while for adjustments. I think the more people cruise, the more they learn to pack less and pack lighter weight clothing. We read over and over on this board how first timers come back and state they packed way more than they needed. I also think people need to learn to leave home a lot of the extra stuff they haul along. You can really get by for the week without many of the extras I see mentioned on packing lists.

We met a lovely couple a while back that cruise several times a year, mostly 2 weeks or longer. They only take carry on luggage. They had it down to a science and did say it took several trips and some trial and error with clothing choices before they learned what works best.

Happy KS. You make very good points and we try to be so very careful what we pack in each bag. Likewise, we do not put cosmetics in these bags but carry them on the plane with us.

Ideally, we have found that 28" works the best and unfortunately the pieces we recently looked at with TravelPro came in 29" and I believe 26". We thought that 29" just wouldn't work for us given our experiences with the weight limitation and that 26" was too small.

What we do have from TravelPro is two carry on pieces that my wife and I take on the plane and a large Luggage Suiter that can hold five mens suits or a combination of men's suits and ladies dresses/suits, etc.

I am hoping that given the new weight limitations that TravelPro will come out with 28" pieces which we have found not only worked great in terms of the weight but also fit more easily into automobile trunks.

we continue to get better and better about how to pack after so many cruises. We keep lists of what we take on each cruise so we can refer back to past cruises and look at what we take and what we actually wore. The challenge continues to be those cruises that we take where the weather will be a combination of warm and cool weather. Our other challenge is that we typically go on cruises that are 12 days or longer and then we also add on a fair amount of days pre-cruise and post-cruise.

While we do prefer 28" but obviously you have mastered the 29" so obviously that is a good choice for many as well.

Again, travel pro is a great choice in luggage. We like it's quality and the varoius compartments that it provides.

Keith

quote]

YES!!! This is what I am looking for! It is very similar to the one that I have and adore. I paid nearly $200 for it at the time, so I would not paying more for something that will last.

Thank you both for all the info.:)

I agree about Travelpro, they are great. My MIL gave me the 26" case for my shower a few years ago. Then DH and I were going to buy the matching suiter and discovered the Travelpro Ultralite (I think that's what it's called) and decided on that. It's just as large but a lot lighter. It seems just as durable....it's survived many times on airlines and a few cruises without any noticeable marks or damage. Just food for thought.

Great buy, Bernadette! I've seen some good prices on luggage at TJ Maxx before, too.

I didn't pay nearly what Ebags charges, but it's a wonderful site to look at and compare luggage. Unfortunately, the really good luggage deals are not online at all, they are in places like you found. I've purchased a few items from them and they are a reputable retailer. You just have to know the prices aren't really any different, or can be more than a luggage store or department store.

I have 2 pieces of Victorinox luggage, a 29 inch case and a wonderful garment bag. The 29 inch I bought at a luggage store going out of business, I paid less than half of the price you see for it on Ebags. The garment bag, I found it by accident at Nordstrom Rack, for $75, I still see the same bag for nearly $400 in stores.

Archived