new/disabled/want to cruise

livelife

Hi live life Jo,

You might try calling RCCL, and speaking with their Special Needs department. RCCL does have a four day cruise out of Los Angeles. The ship is older but does have some handicapped cabins. You could ask WHEN the first cruise is that does have a H/C cabin available. Or, have your travel agent do all that calling.

Don't worry about your clothes. A lot of people shop for dressier things at consignment shops. A pair of slacks and a beaded or sequinned top will do for the formal night, and the rest of the time is pretty casual. You just have to remember no shorts, no jeans in dining room at night. You also have options if you are too tired to go to dinner, you can order room service, which is included in the price of your cruise, or go to the buffet.

We take my scooter and a folding wheelchair when we cruise. Sometimes, we just take the scooter and rent a folding wheelchair, which is onboard when we arrive in our cabin, and we leave there, when we get off the ship. We take the scooter and rent the chair because the chair is cheaper to rent than a scooter. We have not had much trouble flying with the scooter or the chair. I just ride up to the gate, they check the scooter down below, and have it right back up, outside the door of the plane, when I get off. Very convenient.

I know it sounds like a lot to do, but it's really not bad, and if you let a travel agent help, that's half the battle. I have found that a travel agent that's a little bit older seems to be more helpful, and I think that's just because they have more experience with more types of travelers.

I do hope you'll go, because cruising is the BEST for those of us that have a bit of a problem getting around, and everyone on the ship makes you feel so special............like "Queen for a week"! :)

The cruise price includes your cabin and all of your meals for the week, plus some entertainment. You have to pay extra if you want to play Bingo or slot machines, but they even have penny slot machines now. And they are FUN to play!! :)

Jo -

DsrtDrmr had some good ideas for you, like talking to the RCCL special needs people; do give them a try. Or maybe have your husband call them.

You're right, how people who are not brain injured don't really understand. I don't - I can only guess and try to empathize.

I sure hope things work out for you.

And hey - you're not ugly, you're a pretty woman (saw your pics on the other board)!!!

- Richard

My husband has been a wheelchair for 23 years from an auto accident, we have been on 4 cruises, Royal Carribbean and Princess. The handicapped rooms are nice and spacious and every one we have had has a roll in shower with a shower chair. We always book a HC room with a balcony and they have a ramp to put by the door for you to wheel out on to the patio. Also we only take his manual wheelchair when we fly, we rent an electric wheelchair and it is delivered to the ship and in your room when you arrive. After the cruise the company comes back and retrieves the chair. It is much easier than taking your own power chair and airlines tend to destroy them. I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We (husband, myself and service dog) took Celebrity, Summit for 6 days in Oct. 2005 to the Mexican Riviera, mid-ship (located near a bank of elevators) deck 6, in a handicapped room with a veranda. Cost: Less than $2,000.....HEAVEN!

It was perfect! I have balance problems. The location of our room was excellent, not much movement. Lots and lots of space, both in the bedroom as well as the bathroom. The room had a small couch with a coffee table; where we ate our room service breakfast, every morning! The beds were a bit hard but you can ask for another mattress to soften them up! Celebrity treated my service dog, like she was the queen!

You can walk or wheel chair it off of the ship in Catalina or Ensenada and and do lots of shopping. There's a small shopping area right off of the ship about 100 feet, (in Ensendada) and a bit more walking in Catalina but not that far, where you can pick up gifts for family and friends! Cabo requires tendering and can be a bit rough!

This was a fabulous cruise, which got us back into the "cruising" thing and we're going again this September on the Diamond Princess!

LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH! Cruising helps do it all! :p

Much Love and Happy Sails,

Roz

• 2 weeks later...

In general, the lower down in the ship and the closer to the middle of the ship, the less movement you will have. The higher the deck, the more movement and aft and bow locations will have more movement also, especially in rough seas. In calm waters it makes little difference where you are.

Archived