new/disabled/want to cruise

livelife

good afternoon, I was given this site from someone (RN), my husband and I would like to take a cruise, we did one in 89, I am now fully disabled and currently very ill with rare brain and spinalcord disease, post 4 brain surgery, spinalcord and stroke. this will proably be the last fancy trip we can take, I will not live a long life, but this is important to me to do one more thing alone with hubby that is really neat!:) . We have ruled out caribbean too long a flight for me, my husband is my caretaker of almost 11 years, I am switching to motorquickie wheelchair soon from manual quickie all these years, but to travel we will take my manuel as I cannot use arms anylonger to push. We are in mid 40s and we are FUN! folks, we like all ages having kids 11 and 20, but we also would like to be around people our age, our kids will not be on this wedding anniversary trip, as we have not done anything for anniversary in 10 years due to my health and being in hospital so often.

We want to take a mexico trip, we feel I could handle at least 5 days, and the flights to california for us are not far, and we have frequent flyer miles we can use to get there so thats a plus. We would like to go the first part of October even the first week.

We know nothing about crusing this way , we want to use a travel agent. We realize from reading here that its hard to get HC room, however there is 100% no option BUt a HC room for me with roll in shower. My husband said he would like a view of the water, I will be happy just to be on the cruise;) . We need to try to do this by then due to my health or may not get to ever again so any help would be appreciated. I also realize there seems to be NO shore excursions we can go on with me? or am I misinformed, as I looked at sties none seem to be accessbiel. Im VERY small at this point (89 pounds), he can whip me around anywhere in my chair and I dont mind it at all as he can lift me easily hes 6ft2 190pounds). I need to see the water one more time its important to me and he understands. Can a travel agent help us get decent room and decent ship (want a classy one thats not too expeinsice), I loved the Fantasy ship we took back in the day but we really like the Princess line weve seen online, whihc would be best to look at with agent. Can we buy insurance, is thiere helath insurance we can buy (or does mine cover being on ship), do we use passports to mexico???, we do have them recently updated too. When they show the prices of the curise I get confused:confused: , when it says 469.00$ for that room does that mean for the entire days? and I know its per person. So Im thinking and guessing a cruise for 4-5 days is about 2000.00 plus incidentals we will want.

Can we go shopping at least at ports.

so many Questions, so sorry to ask but we are novice at this and need to be prepared so we can really enjoy. We love to have fun and love music, we love shows and vegas type shows they say are on cruises, we love to gamble slots (not bigg money like quarters,ha,ha,hah,a), and we LOVE SWIMMING pools on the ship we see online, he can carry me and be with me no problme, we do this at our rec center all the time. I CAN wear a life jacket on a shore excursion, even if we Cant go on a small Tender Boat its ok, just hope we can get OFF the boat at least one or two times and see SOMOTHING!!! and get the kids and freinds some gifts to bring home.

Thankss EVer So much been readding every day, Im Mostly AFraid of not being Able to get a room because I cannot be withoutt a HC room I AM in WC, I Use CAtheter and have to rest alot. Do they have HC balconys or would that Be too rough on me (Heard that Mexico seas are rougher).

THanksks AGain.

Hugs s to ALl of you, cannootbleive how many cruises ome of you have taken WOW:) . SOrrry about speelling now, had to TAKe my DRagon SPeakeassy off!.

LIve Life

It was hard to read your posting without wanting to tell you to go for it.

I am in a chair (permenantly). I am 41 and was a little skeptical of cruising.

Boy was I wrong....Great ships & people..they try to make your stay the best experience they can.

I went on the Dawn out of NY

Had a HC room with no problems with the shower or toilet

Yo ugot to take it one day at a time and do the best you can

Glenn

You did not say where you live, but I would recommend a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise for you. There are a number of cruise lines that do this out of either LA (Princess, RCCL, Celebrity, NCL, Carnival) or San Diego (HAL, Celebrity). Start looking for a ship with an accessible cabin NOW. When do you plan to go?

As long a you book your trip insurance immediately when you book your cruise, you don't have a pre-existing condition problem. If you wait, you will. Trip insurance is to pay for the cruise fare if you can't go, or for bringing back to the States if you get ill. It does not replace health insurance.

In Mexico there are some companies (Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta) that you can hire privately to provide lift van tours, but with your size and assistance, I would recommend just using your manual chair (I assume it is a light weight folder) and use cabs. You could do this in all your ports, and probably as cheaply as ships tours. Cabo is easy to push to shopping, but it is further at the other ports and easier to take a cab there and then walk. PV has some curb cuts although they are very steep. Your husband should have no problems managing your chair there though.

The price is for the entire cruise, but does not include airfare, alcohol or some entertainment, and no shore excursions. It is per person. You should expect to pay from $100+/day per person on a nice cruise. Use a travel agent even if they don't know accessible from a hole in the wall. They can take care of a lot of potential problems for you before or after the cruise. Just be sure that you get a cabin that you can see is marked as accessible on the ship's deck plans. Ships built in the last 5-8 years are best. You might also want to look at some of the discount on-line cruise sites...we just recently booked this way for a 10 day on Celebrity for 3 of us and it is only going to be $2300 total. They won't let us post those sites here, but you can e-mail some of us for the names.

Unless the water is very rough, you should be able to tender and the ship's crew will do all the work of lifting you in your chair. Generally this is only Cabo San Lucas on a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise anyway. If you really want to use the pool, look at RCCL as they pretty consistently have a pool lift on their newer ships. We have done this trip many times but rarely have a balcony. We had a very nice accessible cabin with a balcony on the Vision of the Seas that you can see at this site: http://www.cgta.com/

I say go for it!

Go for it. Get as large a room as you can afford. I have MS (remitting repeating) and while I am not wheelchair bound I do have some balance issues onboard. I would suggest speaking to your doctor ahead of time about any motion issues you might have.

No matter what this is going to be a wonderful time for both of you and I am so excited to hear about your trip. CC is a great place to get information! You've come to the right place.

Definitely go for it. You and your husband deserve it. I recommend contacting a travel agent and tell them your time frame and have them search for cruises with handicapped rooms available. That may be easier than narrowing it down to a specific line and hoping a handicapped cabin is available. If the TA comes back with more than one option of lines, then you can decide which one will be a better fit.

Thankyou all so much, it took me a few times to log in, my temporal lobe and cerebellum are damaged so a bit brainfried:D . Your support to go for it is right in line with my personality. I have gotten so overwhelmed with trying to plan this my brain couldn't handle much more that is why I decided to write here as suggested to me, sure glad I did. I looked at the cruises out of California that have the most HC rooms, and things we would like on board, for myself I want to treat myself to a salon visit, like a facial and manicure type deal, cannot get massages , but that is where hubby comes in handy;) . The monarch of the Seas does NOT look good for us, very very few HC rooms, I really want a balcony after looking at the ones on the Serenade ship on the Royal C ships that go to Mexico , its a 5 day cruise in October, otherwise couldn't tell if the Princess ones have them, but Royal C definitly has some for HC, I Have to at least see out a window or I will feel cooped up being I will have to be in there sometimes to rest. I like the idea of Traditional dinner times and that you can pick earlier (6-6:30pm), I have to eat early because I have DGE, and have to take medicine at certain times, I also dont mind sitting with others, being pretty isolated at home it would be a treat for us to be social. I also like that you can dress up! sometimes, we NEVER get to do that. I must be able to do into swimming pool so will make sure they have lift available on the ship.

Im very excited, I dont know what ship we will be on but I will bring all your information with me to Travel agent and make sure they fully understand our needs. If I can endure what I do then I can surley make this happen. My bestfreinds said if we needed any help $ they would chip in knowing we never go anywhere I found this to be so wonderful of them, maybe for the spa or a special night gambling or such.

Sorry you are in ill health but Im glad to know you all have traveled on a ship and had a good time, it makes me worry less:) . I have a silly Question to ask, is being higher up (like on a deck 7 or more) better for not feeling the ship movement???? that could help me, I have a plate in my head over part of my eye from Aneurysm and movement sometimes can be hard on me , Im also totally deaf in one ear from Brainstem dysfunction so thinking less movement the better, I dont get sea sick at least that I know of.

Thanks again, your all lovley people. I appreciate your trying to help me make one of my dreams come true.

LiveLife

I like the idea of Traditional dinner times and that you can pick earlier (6-6:30pm), I have to eat early because I have DGE, and have to take medicine at certain times, I also dont mind sitting with others, being pretty isolated at home it would be a treat for us to be social. I also like that you can dress up! sometimes, we NEVER get to do that. I must be able to do into swimming pool so will make sure they have lift available on the ship.

Sorry you are in ill health but Im glad to know you all have traveled on a ship and had a good time, it makes me worry less:) . I have a silly Question to ask, is being higher up (like on a deck 7 or more) better for not feeling the ship movement???? that could help me, I have a plate in my head over part of my eye from Aneurysm and movement sometimes can be hard on me , Im also totally deaf in one ear from Brainstem dysfunction so thinking less movement the better, I dont get sea sick at least that I know of.

Thanks again, your all lovley people. I appreciate your trying to help me make one of my dreams come true.

LiveLife

I snipped what you wrote to answer the questions I can.

I was looking at the Princess brochure today. They have a lot of Mexican itineraries, that might be best for you. They also have a fair amount of handicap rooms.

Honestly I get seasick in the bathtub. Movement is movement to me. I feel it up high and down low. The only time I really noticed it worse on a higher deck was last fall on the Mariner of the Seas. I was in Portofino's and the moon was moving back and forth behind a curtain with the movement of the ship. Bleah. That was the worst it's been. Portofino is way at the top of the Mariner.

My three year old is deaf in one ear. I've noticed movement really bothers him too.

The Serenade of the Seas is a great ship, very beautiful and elegant. You can definitely request early seating on RCCL. If for some reason they don't assign you to early seating, let RCCL's special needs department know and they will accommodate you.

I agree with Nancy's suggestion of also looking at Princess as I've heard they are a good line.

In our travels, one thing that is clear is that a cruise ship is an excellent choice for the disabled traveler, especially if you have a spouse that can help with things.

It is ideal because once you board, everything you need is within reach.....room, meals and entertainment.

If your Doctor approves......I would go for it.....:)

I have MS and we love cruising. I get handicapped room, with balcony because I love to sit on balcony as we cruise along and read and just rest. Just wont sail without my S SUite on HAL

I use scooter when we travel because I can be self sufficient to a point.

I get off where we dont tender...but usually stay on board because the ship is so nice when everyone is gone..like having my own cruise ship lol

We sail HAL because of the smaller ships so cant comment on Princess ot RCCL but I am sure they are great. RCCL seems to cater to teens so you may want to do Princess which seems to cater to adults.

Please have a greata trip and know that cruising is the best way to travel when you have a handicap.

IMO you should look at Princess. As I recall they have a lift by one of the pools so you can get in and out of it. Their handicap rooms are very nice and the bathroom facilities are very good. Also, they do the muster drill for safety inside the ship rather than having to sit out in the sun.

A cruise would be just the thing for you, I know it's the only type of vacation I would consider now since it is so easy to manage.:cool:

If they have any 3 or 4 day cruises you might want to try one of those first to see how you manage with the motion. If your doctor will let you take Bonine or wear a patch or take the shot for seasickness you might want to consider that until you know how it will affect you.

I have the Princess Brochure open on my lap this very second. There's something about an actual paper brochure that's more compelling than a website to me, I think it's my age.

They're shortest Mexican Riviera cruise is 7 days long. If I were you, and I'm not so feel free to disregard my advice, I would seriously consider a 7 day. You really want to relax and get away on this trip. As you've stated, it's once in a lifetime for you.

You can leave from Las Angelas or San Francisco your choice. It's the Diamond or Golden Princess (The Island has one sailing). Both the main ships are excellent choices. Get great reviews here. The Los Angelas sialing has more sea days by one. I do not believe any of these are tender ports, I could be wrong. The Golden has only one sailing, so it might be too confining time wise for you.

The brochure makes a point of stating that Princess does their best to make cruising accessable and suggests you calll 1-800-PRINCESS. I still like the TA idea. A good TA could really smooth the way for you. Costs nothing more.

Like the others, I say go for it. My husband is disabled due to MS and as far as I am cocnerned, it is the only way for us to travel. Most ships are very accessible these days and I unpack once and they take us places.

We prefer 7 night or longer cruises because you lose most of the first and last day so you do not get much chance to relax and enjoy being aboard ship on on shorter ones. You do not say where you ive, but you might also want to think about leaving from Houston (Galveston) if you live in the midwest as the prices tend to be a little lower. In addition, I have always been able to find HC cabins on ships that leave from there. The one issue about Galveston in early October though is that its hurricane season.

Yes, they have handicap balconies, but they tend to be harder to find. No, they are not rougher than other rooms, but I would suggest trying to get a cabin as much mid-ship as possible (back/front and up/down.) We usually decide on a ship and initinerary, find out what HC cabins, if any, are available and then decide based on cost.

As far as age of your fellow passengers. It depends on when you cruise. Carnival, RCCL and NCL have passengers of all ages but generally attract a younger clientele. HAL and Celebrity attract mostly a older group. Princess is in between.

I would suggest you take both chairs if possible. We do. The power chair will give you freedom aboard ship and the manual one will be more flexible ashore.

Getting ashore should not be a problem even at tender ports unless the water is rough. If there is no tender lift, the crew carries my 6'2" husband down in his manual chair so they should be able to handle you with no problem as long as you are in your manual chair. Note: RCCL has installed a tenderlift on all its ships, but whether or not you can use it depends on which tender exit they are using.

You are correct, there are few, if any, accessible excursions. However you should be able to do a little sightseeing and shopping at most, if not all, ports. We research where we want to go and then hire cabs for the day. This not only is more accessible, but we get to go where we want and stay as long as we wants. And we can go back to the ship if my husband gets tires.

My husband plays blackjack and the slots so you should be able to do so too. And many ships have nickel and penny slots today.

We want to encourage you,also. My husband and I just returned from a TA to Barcelona on Celebrity. He is disabled and we find that cruising is the best way to travel. We took our own lightweight chair and used it both on and off the ship. Planning is the key to a successful trip. All of our friends on this board gave us very good advice. There were many people who had challenges on this cruise and you "have it made" when you get onto the ship. We had a balcony and loved it. There are so many things to see even if you can't go off the ship.

Enjoy yourself.

We are first-time cruisers who will be taking our 26-yer-old darling daughter on a cruse in July. Our daughter has CP, but enjoys the fresh air and wind in her face. She's never said a word, but we know how to make her happy! Hope you follow through and go for the cruise. Don't stop!

Cannot thankyou all enough for your posts and RICHARD! yes I know who you are how delightful to see a familiar person:) that made me feel better being new. I have been on a downslide the last 2 days so could not type nor use headphones. The information I must admit is overwhelming for someone brain injured, but Im trying hard to put all your help into a packet to take to travel agent so I can get the best possible cruise that suits our needs. Something that concerns me is the size of the ships, I just dont know how I feel about taking my new Electric Quickie let alone on the plane and then on board, my quickie manual has already taken a beating and needs tweaking in next few weeks. But I also want to be able to have the freedom to roam about at least a bit like you all do, cant use the arms so Im really stuck here I guess:( . The way those airlines throw around my manual is hard enough, its been 10 years since I went in for a new chair, how one earth can they safely put that in the luggage, yikes!. Part of me wants to give up the idea of one really nice trip, but knowing those will probably not be again for me makes it sad. I can transfer in and out of chair just fine, but with 2 torn rotator cuffs cannot imagine wheeling myself at all on big ship with carpet.

Just dont see how you all do this so easily, its funny how much my body has been through, facing death over and over, being blind getting sight back, going blind again, ecttt, losing hearing, swallowing and most of voice, use of legs and arms loss, and weigh so small a brisk wind can blow me over, yet be afraid of what appears to be so much work to go on a nice vacation ,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha.

Im going into Travel agent next week, once on the ship I feel somewhat ok about things, its the airport, the chair situation and making sure I can cath when I need to and eat when I need to, and get safely to cabin sounds like mobs on elavators from past posts I read, and getting vans, Im a pretty tough gal but if I can pull this off Im going to give myself a medal:D .

Thanks so much, you are all so dear to help me with this and your information is incredibly helpful for us, hopeing I Can come back some time and tell others my CRUISE experience.

Will let you know what I find for a trip, will ask this Friday my Travel/Rec guy at Rehab with help about my Chair (its pretty small but has layback so I Can rest.

PEACE today

LiveLife

Most definitely go for it. Neither you nor your husband will regret the time and money you will spend on this.

You must remember to book a newer ship as they are much more accessible than the older ships. You mentioned being on the Fantasy, but that ship is now considered quite old and isn't very accessible. Any ships built after the year 2000 are the most accessible.

As for tours, some are accessible and some are not. But for every port, the cruise line does try and have at least one very easy tour.

God bless and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I understand your concern about your electric Quickie, but I can tell you that we have been traveling by air with my husband's Quicikie 3 or 4 times a year for the past 8 or 9 years and, although it has been damaged, only once was in inoperable. And they were able to fix it in the airport. In fact his power chair has sustained less damage than his manual one. I would suggest, however, that you take any removable parts like a gel seat, legs, special back, on the plane with you. I would also suggest that you try for a non-stop flight as there is less chance for damage.

There is one other possibility. There are several companies such as CareVacations that will deliver a powerchair or scooter to the ship. The disadvantages are that it is expensive and it will not be the chair you are used to.

Yes, the crowds on the ship can sometimes present a challenge, but we usually try to go early to meals, etc. and are patient other times. Ironically, we have found that the ships leaving from Galveston tend to attract more laid back passengers than those leaving from the East Coast which has lessened the elevator issues. In fact, several times other passengers offered to get out of the elevator to let my husband in!

What to do in port will be less of an issue if you can transfer to a taxi or van. Regardless, I would post your itinerary once you have booked and we will be happy to give you some suggestions.

livelife

My love and I are cruising this next Monday out of Galveston on a short five-day.

Will think of you and your questions as I cruise, I keep a journal, and will also photo or video anything of interest to a cruiser that uses a W/C.

Milli and I are both "rehab guru's" I guess: she worked TIRR in Texas and both of us were at Craig Hospital in Colorado. She was a SCI specialist physical therapist, I did the vocational stuff. We both are experienced divers, although I cannot swim, no less walk much, for a while. But on my last "farewell cruise"

that was three cruises ago I went into the water off the boat she was diving off. Granted, wearing an inflatable vest (with CO2 backup) and such.

She is able if needed to carry me up stairs, I hope the crew or someone helps

:eek: that depends on the cruise line and telling them you are "special needs" NCL always send a crewman or two to our suites for lifeboat muster. I love NCL.

Take the "technical manual" on the powered chair. No promises but I have heard of ship's technicians fixing one's wheelchairs. Suspect if you asked nicely then begged most lines would have a electro-tech look at it.

Trust me if you go to Cozumel, I'd suggest a sailing "snorkel" option. :cool:

I will ask my friends in COZ as to the reality of my "dream" of sponsoring a service in Cozumel for those with "special needs'.

Again, thanks, Joe & Milli

PS

You made me very happy, my wife is so looking forward to this cruise:

it is a Fantasy class ship so I can report on that.

Hi, go for it. I have MS and bring my canes, scooter and wheelchair with me.

Also if you have a special diet requirement ensure that the agent knows. I'm diabetic and have food senitivities. Both are handled quiet well.

When you get on board check your dining assignment. If you do not think youu can handle where they have you, you can have them change it on the ship. I have done this twice now with no problems.

Hi, go for it. I have MS and bring my canes, scooter and wheelchair with me.

Capt Data,

How do you deal with flying and embarking with a scooter and a wheelchair. Does someone roll your wheelchair for you? I am taking my mom on a cruise this Fall and dont know how we will handle her wheelchair, walker and scooter.

Thanks for your help.

Linda

Hi Linda,

We took my husband's scooter and wheelchair on Southwest to San Diego for our Hawaii/Mexico cruise. He rode the scooter. I piled the carryons and my purse on the wheelchair and wheeled the chair to the door of the plane. They took both the scooter and the wheelchair, put them in the hold, and then brought them back to the plane when we landed.

It's easy.

Have a great cruise.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I travel with my 84 and 86 year old parents. Mother is in a wheelchair most of the time. We have sailed over 13 times and never had any trouble. Carnival and RCCL both very good. RCCL was our last cruise and will be the next (in OCT) Do it. Cannot stress how easy it is. They are super with wheelchair bound folks. Casual dining on (buffet) and every time without fail someone would rush up and ask to either carry Mom's plate or push the chair our choice. They would move chairs etc for us with never a second thought. Main dining the same. Head waiter would wait for us move chairs out of the way and make sure Mom comfy... One night the captain dined at a table behind us, so many people squished at that table.. Mom needed a trip to ladies in between courses and the captian was in the way.. No problem, he very quitely asked several others diners to scoot in and off we went, there was a step and he carried Mom down and brought the chair and off we went, he was waiting when we came back. After dinner I thanked him he said no trouble. I thanked the other diners that moved for us and they said the same. People very kind on ships, "off season" (not the summer) cruisers are older and more aware of the needs of others than younger cruisers. You might try going to the cruise line direct for assistance in finding a room. Please know that Handicap rooms are the same price as others, so don't let anyone tell you different. As to shore tours that may be a problem. The 7 Day Mexico trips stop at Cabo (you need to board a tender ... a small boat, to get to shore) Mom has never been to shore in Cabo and we have been there 8 times. She does not like water and small boats... says she is going down with the ship and the captain if any of our cruises sink. No lifeboats for her. But Puerto Villarta and Matzalan the ships dock right along side the jetty and you just roll off. If you can manage a few steps then you can do the bus trips. But, we have hired taxis and gone for "rides" in every port with no trouble. Each port has a Taxi wrangler, speaks English and for a small tip will find a taxi with air cond, and plenty of room. Bargain for a price, but we never have had any trouble. In Matazalan we got 1 hour ride around town for 25.00 and he took us everywhere! and he dropped us off at a resturant in gold zone, we (Dad and I) had not gotten out of the cab and a waiter and the taxi driver had Mom out and the chair out and set up, we rolled her right it. Now Mexico is not famous for handicap bathrooms, so be warned, but as I said Mom can do a few steps. So we could manage. No trouble getting taxi back.. tho the wheelchair stuckout of the trunk and the driver used bungie cord to hold it closed but he was fine with it. So please consider it. Try RCCL.com for Royal Caribbean or CCL.com for Carnival. you can't go wrong.

thanks for the more replies. Today I feel like just forgoing the cruise with the effort it takes to prepare. I used to be able to just throw things in a bag and look great no matter what I wore (always have dressed pretty decent), for the last 10 years of very few trips due to my health and funds$ and 911 it just makes me almost sick to my stomache trying to figure it all out. The only time we can really take this trip is August and we were un able to get a HC room so I really Can only take my quickie manual plus my arms being so bad. I bought some clothes yesterday hubby took me out, found kids terry plants with drawstring and 2 dresses ALL very cheap for the quality, had to take one back today (had tear in it that we didnt notice), I cannot afford to buy 100$ dresses and got it for 25$ finding my size 0 is hard because I cannot just go out and look for such things, shopping for clothes online is REALLY hard for me its too confusing and people who are NOT BRAIN INJURED patients dont understand this, so this morning I sat and cried.

Im not a drinker nor smoker but when traveling

I

do like to just do things I wouldnt normaly so Ican relax, its hard to relax when you dont know what day or year it is or what your doing, its like having mild Alzheimers something my fahter in law has and my grandmother HAD, you just sit and stare sometimes trying to remember what you were doing, now TRY doing that in packing, shopping, counting money, putting clothes on, makine phone calls, asswering Questions at airports and such and you have one seriously overwhelmed person who is Only 46 years yoiung.

Im going to go Cry agaian now, I just WANted one more NICe coolk trip that we wouldnt nomraly do and do it on Buget, but my acesss will be so limited. I GEt my Motor Chair about October or Sept. I DO HAve a nice scooter from aboutt ohh 6- yeas ago, but A: it wont FITtinto our SO ocean view Cabin and B: I Cannot manualy manuer it well in crowds , when hubby Wheels me I dont have to be confused about such things.

WElll thankss for my rambling, feeling Very DOwn today, haventt been ABLe to the Gain the pweight Im supposed to by July 3rd, I feeel middleaged When I shouldd feel young, and I feeel ugly today:eek: , Just a BAd DAY I willl be fine as alwayss. We couldt only affored 4 DAY cruise, its interseting Thouguth I did find out throughg just Checkingg around boards that there willl be someone Using HC room that CLearly SAid Thier PErson WASNT HC, THatss hard for me to swallow today when I rEALLy needed that room on the SO flooor, but what CAN one Do.:(

THankss, hands goingg bad again.

Live life Jo

Archived