How possible are upgrades on Carnival when you're booked in a 6A on Riveria deck?

Hi there. Help! I booked a Carnival cruise on Ecstacy in a guaranteed 6A cabin thinking it was a middle deck. Only to find out that it's on the bottom Riveria deck. They said I have a guarantee of at least a 6A Ocean View, but that I could be upgraded to a higher deck. Has this ever happened to any of you out there? What are my chances of being upgraded? Plus is there a extra charge to be upgraded? Plus is the Riveria deck miserable? Thank you!!!!

It really depends on how booked the ship is what kind of upgrade you might get. If Carnival upgrades you, then there is no charge. But, if you want to be certain, you may want to call your TA and pay a little extra to move categories. You get the same cruise of anyone that pays for a suite, you just have to decide how important the room is to you.... Enjoy!!! :)

Our group always books a 6A, and we have always recieved an upgrade. On the Paradise, we went all the way to the Empress deck (6D), and one of our cabins went from a 4A (inside Riviera) to a 6D. Having a great TA, and doing repeat business may account for our luck so far.

Good Luck!

Last year was our first cruise. We had picked out a room on the sixth floor. My daughter's friends were on an inside on a lower level. They got upgrades higher in the ship on an outside level (I think it was seventh level). We got something like a $400 discount. That was on the Sovereign.

This year we are going on the Conquest. I haven't had any upgrades that I know of and we leave in a month. We finally upgraded ourselves since we were on the lowest level (weren't wild about that and we wanted to know where our girls were going to be). We had one of those "guaranteed" things. We now know where we are going to be.

Both of these cruises were in July.

I dont understand why people think that the riveria deck is a bad place to be. Its quiet. There is no public rooms above you or below you. Now a lot of people running through your halls. Any place on a cruise ship beat being at home or at work.

Upgrades depend on how well your sailing sells. If there are a lot of cabins then you will get upgraded. Keep an eye on your price of your sailing and if it comes down ask your agent for an upgrade or a credit. Sometimes ya can get both

If you get upgraded from your 6A to a 6B, 6C, or 6D, You will have the EXACT same cabin, just on a different deck. And there is absolutely NO difference or perks between one deck and another. The bottom deck is best for those who suffer from Mal de Mer altho the difference is slight. On the higher, [upgraded HA!] decks, you could be over or under a bar or galley and hear some noise. The myth of higher decks being more desirable stems for the old. old days of separate classes of passengers. First class pax had the top decks. Second class had the middle decks and third class had the bottom decks. And the cabins became smaller as the decks went lower. But the biggest thing was there was no AC, so 1st class got the fresh air and open decks. Course, in winter crossings, 3rd class might have been the place to be.

But on todays ships all that is meaningless. ALL cat. 6 cabins ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

THE CRUISELINES CHARGE MORE FOR THE HIGHER DECKS ONLY BECAUSE OF THE OLD MYTHS. AND BECAUSE WE'RE SO STOOPID, THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.:rolleyes:

Dan

I agree, there's nothing wrong with the Riveria Deck. It's not the bottom of the ship, y'know. Below that are other decks, including crew quarters. You won't be at sea level!

We've stayed on the Riviera deck and have NEVER had a problem. It is indeed much quieter on that deck. I can't seeing paying SO MUCH MORE just to be on a deck further "up" on the ship when I'm not even in my room except to bathe and sleep. So don't worry if you don't get an upgrade to another deck. You should be fine on the Riviera. ;)

We did a guarantee 2 years ago on our Paradise cruise. We did the 6a guarantee. We sailed end of Jan beginning of Feb and did not get upgraded. We did however get a cabin that was midship. Nothing wrong with Riviera deck.

I agree with the others. I've been on the Riveria deck and there's absolutely nothing wrong with this deck. It's much quieter and the cabin is exactly the same as all the other cabins on higher decks in that category. Plus when you get off in the ports, you only have to go down one deck which was really convenient. :)

I usually book a riviera deck guarantee for the value and if I get an upgrade, fine. If I don't, that's fine, too.

I have had both inside and OV on the Riviera deck and been happy.

On the Conquest we booked within a month of cruising inside cabins, guarantee, on the Riviera deck, and were upgraded to inside Lido deck.

I just love to cruise.

Every cruise I have been on except the one we booked last minute we have been upgraded. Usually if you booked an inside you get bumped up a deck or two to an inside cabin-if you booke an oceanview-you are bumped up to an oceanview. I have read posts where a few got bumped from an inside to an oceanview but usually the oceanview had an obstructed view.

Also when we were on Miracle we ran into sevearal who had booked an oceanview and got a balcony but if you look at a diagram of the spirit class ships you will see there are very few oceanviews-mostly balconies on the outside. We booked a balcony and received an extended balcony.

So I guess you should really book what you want if you are not willing to settle for less and then if you get better it is a nice surprise.

There are actually advantages to being on the Riviera Deck. You are only one deck above the exits for the ports. You have to go down to deck 1 to get off the ship. If you are on the Riviera Deck, you can take one set of stairs and you are there. No waiting for elevators this way. The rooms are much quieter and if you look at a picture of the ship, the lowest deck is a good 2 stories above the waterline. Look for the larger windows and that starts the passenger decks. The small porthole ones are the crew quarters.

We just have to trust the "UPGRADE FAIRY" when you take a guarantee. We have never had a bad cabin on any ship! A bad cabin on a cruise ship is better than having to go to work anyday!!!

Archived