First cruise in 2007 - Alaska

rfbdorf

We're looking into going on an Alaska cruise in 2007. We have never been on a cruise before, and frankly I figured I would be bored by one. We had planned to make a flying trip this year through Alaska with several other light planes, but recently my wife became paraplegic (complete) and must use a power chair, so that killed that idea. So a cruise started looking more attractive to me.

The most likely plan so far is to drive to Seattle and do a round trip cruise from there - flying to or from Anchorage is not an option for her.

From what I've been able to find so far, it appears that our options are the Celebrity Mercury, NCL Pearl or Star, or RCI Vision. I wasn't able to find 2007 info on Princess. Is that a complete list?

My wife's chair (and her pain) can't handle more than a very small threshold. I was thinking that a cabin with a large window would be good - since she can't regulate her body temperature well, a balcony would likely go unused.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to ships, etc.?

After we make that decision, then we'll start thinking about shore trips.

Thanks for any help!

- Richard

Sounds like Seattle round trip might be the best option for you (there are also Vancouver round trip Alaskan cruises... if you can make the extra drive, the itineraries are usually more optimal as far as scenery is concerned).

Princess Seattle round trip cruises for 2007 opened today.

Holland America will also be coming out with their deployment/ability to book sometime soon.

By doing some research on these boards and other websites (like the cruise line websites), I'd recommend choosing your cruise line first as it seems the two of you may likely spend a lot of time on board. Each cruise line offers a distinctively different onboard experience and each is great in its own way.

Thanks for the starter.

At the moment, from what I've read about them, I'm leaning toward Princess.

Does anyone have any comparative knowledge of the Sun Princess vs. Golden Princess as far as accessability goes? Golden is bigger (106,000 vs 77,000 tons); would the larger size make it more likely that tendering would be required for the Golden at the Alaska ports?

- Richard

For 2007 Alaska, if you are looking at roundtrip out of Seattle, Celebrity and Holland America have much better itineraries than Princess. Princess does not cruise either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier on their Seattle itineraries, while Celebrity is going to Hubbard Glacier, and Holland America has ships going to Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. Honestly, if you are going to take the time to go to Alaska and you have a choice, I would look for a cruise that does go to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.

I would definitely recommend looking at Holland America. They have a lot more round trip options out of Seattle than any other line and most include either Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. They also have smaller ships which tend to be easier to maneuver around if you have mobility issues. I would recommend looking especially at the Noordam, since it is the newest of the ships cruising Alaska, which makes it the most likely to be handicapped friendly. Another plus to Holland America is they are known for having great naturalists on board for their Alaska cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Alaskan cruise that included Glacier Bay. Also saw College Fjord and on previous cruise Tracy Arm and Misty Fjords. Of all of them, Glacier Bay was a disapointment--just one big glacier. Seems that seeing first glacier calve years ago was more exciting than recent experience. If you REALLY want that experience--look for a small ship experience--they can get closer. Inside Passage is fairly calm--llittle "rolling seas". Bigger ships--better stabilizers, etc. You gotta make choices. We've now cruised on 3 lines; really enjoyed open dining of

Princess--I think NCL doies that now too. With assigned times, you can get stuck. Most recent cruise, we only met our assigned table mates on last night of cruise; not sure where they were at beginning, but we chose not to attend one of the formal nights and missed onboard dinner due to excursions on a couple of port days. It seemed like Princess had more onboard activities than did either of our two Holland America cruises. Princess also has it's scholar-at-sea program which we also enjoyed. Just a few things for you to consider...

whatever you decide as far as ship or cruise company, the fact that your wife uses a power chair would seem to make it imperative that you get a wheelchair accessible handicapped cabin. they have extra wide doors into the cabin and the bathroom and all the newer ships have roll-in showers with no raised threshholds or lips. even the newest ships generally have no more than 20 or so such cabins and they go fast. holland america is putting its newest - the noordam - in alaska next year and we spent a month on a sister ship - westerdam - in 2004 and found it very accessible. celebrity's mercury for instance has only inside(no window) accessible cabins at present

We are booked on the Mercury in November with a fully accessible cabin for 3, and it is not an inside room. We will be in 5059, which is right next to two identical cabins on the port side. There are 4 just like it on the starboard side of this same deck (Plaza).

Perhaps you are thinking of Oceania cruise lines, which only has inside accessible cabins.

Thanks to the help here on CC and elsewhere, I knew just what to ask the TA for (she saved us a good chunk of change, too). We've booked 6004 in the Oosterdam in June 2007 for Alaska out of Seattle (Hubbard glacier). It's an accessible room, portside at the bow, with a balcony. Sitka will be a tender; we'll see whether or not a shore excursion is possible; no biggie if not.

- Richard

Archived