Our Much Loved "S" Class Ships.....??

sail7seas

Too bad to miss out on a great ship, IMO

Nothing in life comes with guarantees. Sure, some people have reported problems. Some may have even reported them fairly objectively. Lots of people have also reported fantastic cruises on the beautiful and elegant ms Maasdam. :)

We've had a great many wonderful cruises on that very pretty ship and are eagerly looking forward to two more fabulous cruises on her this summer.

Of the many weeks we've spent aboard, we have had very, very few problems. No more than any other ship. She has such a terrific crew; such a beautiful ship; great itineraries......what a shame to cross her off your list.

The Rotterdam V was in service from 1959-1997 wasn't she. That was 38 years. I would hope the "S" class would stay that long. They are all good ships and I doubt HAL would have spent the millions in renovating them if they were not going to stay in the fleet for the forseable future. I hope they are along for a long time. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the "S" class and the "R"class ships. Doug, you made some good coments.

And soon, with you aboard :) ! You lucky woman... HAL one way, Cunard the other. Best of both worlds :) !

I never allow myself to forget just how blessed I am. This is gonna be one heck of a fantastic, once-in-a-lifetime voyage ... and I just thank God I have the health and the means to do it.

Sailing the QE2, despite my aversion to having to "gussy up," will be an awesome experience. I can't wait. And, the Veendam ain't too shaby either. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

On a related note ...

Do you more experienced cruisers think the Prisendam will still be around in 2008? I would love to sail her, but can't imagine being able to do so before 2008. Two cruises a year is my absolute max, and I'm already booked up for 2006 and 2007. 2008 would be my first opportunity to try the Prisendam ... one of her shorter voyages ... and I'd hate to miss out because she left the fleet before then.

What do you all think?

Blue skies ...

--rita

KK,

Thanks. I have seen a couple of your posts about the Sea of Cortez and the ports sound interesting.

It's a shame you can't work out a b to b. Did you ever think about getting off one ship and getting on another ? You could do this next Oct . The Ryndam does the Sea of Cortez and the Zaandam does Mex Riviera.

We thought about it. But with the condition that DH is in right now, he doesn't need all the extra stress of packing, finding a porter to move from one to another, etc. If we were younger we would do it in a heart beet.

We just spent an hour this morning with Delta trying to get flights straightened out for June. We booked our flights last August and we knew that there would be some changes - there always has been in the past. I just happened to be nosy and checked our flights and found out that they had been changed on May and we didn't get an e-mail concerning this. Delta has us arriving in Atlanta after our flight departs for Seattle.

We just spent an hour this morning with Delta trying to get flights straightened out for June. We booked our flights last August and we knew that there would be some changes - there always has been in the past. I just happened to be nosy and checked our flights and found out that they had been changed on May and we didn't get an e-mail concerning this. Delta has us arriving in Atlanta after our flight departs for Seattle.

Don't feel bad KK, the same thing happened to us with United. We also booked ours last August and had 7 flight changes all together. Twice they had us arriving after our next flight left, they even switched us to Air Canada once, then switched us back. Then would never seat us together. Very frustrating. So far our September one going non stop on Air Canada to Vancouver has not changed, keeping my fingers crossed.

I agree with the posters that said the S-class ships have aged well. They are favorites of mine and I hope to do a Fall New England tour on one of them in 2007 or 2008.

My very first cruise was on the S.S. Independence in 2000 when she was 49 years old! She was still in decent shape. I had a great time and enjoyed the feel of a true ocean liner. The S-class are just pups by comparison!

-Jim

Lisa

One of the problems we also had with Delta was first class tickets. The plane from Atlanta to Seattle had only 1 first class seat left when they began making the changes. After finally being able to talk to a supervisor, we got our 2 first class seats - we figure someone got bumped - probably a freebee ticket.

And, then there are those of us who Get our Cake and Eat it too.......those of us who love both style of ships. We have always loved the "S" class but also very much like the Vistas. :)

When we first went to Zuiderdam, we only went out of curiousity and because we had friends aboard with whom we wanted to sail. We Never expected to like that ship at all. After being aboard less than a day, we were won over. The final evolution of the Vistas that ended with the arrival of Noordam, produced a magnificent ship IMO Noordam is Fabulous!!!

So.....sometimes we feel like an "S" and sometimes we feel like a Vista. ;) -----or an "R" or a "V" :)

:D When I saw this I thought this was going to turn into another 'CAKE' discussion.

What makes the Noordam so different from the other Vista's?

In September we'll have our first "Vista" experience. I'm trying to keep an open mind but my biggest reservation is the increased amount of walking to get around the ship. I used to love to walk but I just can't do as much as I'd like to anymore.

I'm sure we will have many revelations, and I hope most of them are positive. We've got a really good deal on Westerdam's last Alaska of the season and I'm excited to try a Vista ship, but still, my nostalgic older side would prefer the "traditional" HAL.

GN

I really enjoy the S type ships as well and sailed on the Westerdam last week in Alaksa. It does not really seem as large,walking around this ship was easy and I too do not do well with long distances. The shops area was nicely laid out and seemed to be several more lounges to sit and enjoy the views etc. But, I did have a crowded feelling at most times. With over 2,000 on board a few hundred more people does make a big difference. The ship has more decks but does not seem to be longer. The balcony S type rooms vere VERY nice! You will enjoy the Alaska Cruise I have to say one of our best and only 7 days,very scenic and we are from Oregon.

GwenMarie,

Thanks for your information on the Westerdam. Since you are from Oregon, could you suggest cities for hotel stopovers from Seattle to Portland. We want to see Mt. St. helens on Monday and the columbia River Gorge on Tuesday. We need a stopover for sunday after getting off the ship, and one for Monday night before the gorge. We will stay at the Springhill Marriot at the airport on Tuesday night.

Thanks in advance,

GN

Today, ships are named after they're finished. In the old days when ships were launched down slipways - rather than just floated out of drydock - the naming ceremony usually took place at the physical launching of the ship.quote]

Hi Doug,

This isn't quite right. All of the present HAL ships have been officially christened and named when they were 'launched'... or floated for the first time in the building dock. Coin under the mast ceremony etc etc.

Then for some strange reason... PR purposes actually, the ships are given a second christening an hour or two beore they commence their first revenue voyage.

It would be bad luck to put a ship in the water withut a proper christening!

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, I never realized that they continued christening the ships when they are launched as well as the "PR christenings" before the ship entered service.

When did these "PR christenings" start anyway? I guess sometime in the 1970s. QE2 was christened by the Queen at Clydebank when she was launched, but CUNARD PRINCESS was christened in New York by Princess Grace.

Sometimes the PR christening is even after the first revenue voyage - e.g. GRAND PRINCESS was christened in New York after having already done a whole season of Med cruises!

Doug I pray that you are correct and the S and R classes are around for decades to come. I don't know what I would do if my only choice were a vista class ship. We tried the Oosterdam and weren't at all impressed; too many people, too few staff.

In September we'll have our first "Vista" experience. I'm trying to keep an open mind but my biggest reservation is the increased amount of walking to get around the ship. I used to love to walk but I just can't do as much as I'd like to anymore.

I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended). Since my accident, walking long distances is more difficult for me. The only advice I can give you is to plan your cabin location carefully. If you know that you like the Explorer's Lounge and will spend a lot of time there ... try to find a cabin that is mid-way between the location of the lounge and the dining room. Figure the places you spend the most time at and then plan your cabin location accordingly. Of course, it probably doesn't matter what deck your cabin is on ... elevators are plentiful and strategically located at both ends, and middle of the ship. But location on the deck will be important if you want to be close to the facilities you most like to use.

I will say those hallways can be daunting. They are awfully long on the Vista ships and can involve an awfully long walk to get back to your cabin at the end of a tiring evening.

While I won't say this would preclude my ever sailing a Vista class ship again, it is certainly something that makes me want to find another alternative if at all possible.

Blue skies ...

--rita

What airport are you leaving from? Portland, I was not familiar with the airport hotel you indicated. The road trips to Mt St Helens is a full day from Seattle and the Columbia Gorge would be at least half a day including travel time from near Portland from I-5 area of Mt St Helens exit/Touttle River. We did that trip for the 1st time last year and we have lived in the PDX area over 50 years and hiked to the top of that Mtn in 1972, it blew it's top in 1980 so I took us awhile to make the return trip. Very interesting trip good that you are going. We live near the Columbia gorge near Mt. Hood/Timberline Lodge and it is a beautiful area. There is a really nice hotel in the gorge about 45 min drive from Portland called Skaminia Lodge. Beautiful views from your room and public areas.

gwenmarie,

We will leave the ship Sunday morning, pick up the rental car, and head south down the I-5. We're considering stopping Sunday night in Chehalis WA off of the I-5 and going to Mt St Helen's on Monday. We will continue on to the gorge and are considering the Comfort Inn at Troutdale for the Monday night stop. Can you offer an opinion? I'll certainly check out the Skamania, Thanks bunches.

GN

That sounds like a good plan. Staying at Troutdale is close to the PDX airport if that is where you are leaving from PDX. This would be the far west end of the gorge mainly a truck stop and large outlet shopping mall(but no sales tax in Oregon). The web site for the Skamania Lodge is http://www.skamania.com check it out it's about 30 min from Troutdale and really beautiful right on the river.

gwenmarie,

Thanks for the Skamania link. It looks lovely. We are flying home from PDX.

We'll be coming from Mt. St Helens so we'll probably stop closer to the 205 highway for overnight and the go to the gorge on Tuesday. I'll decide after I figure the mileage from Chehalis to Mt. St. Helens and then on to our Monday night hotel either Troutville (I love outlet malls, is it a nice one?), or Skamania. We'll have to get to the airport hotel early Tuesday evening as we have an early flight out of Portland on Wednesday morning. Thanks for your help.

GN

GN: Yes is really is nice and right off the freeway at Troutdale. You may want to stay near the airport the evening before you flight,there are so many now. A new lightrail train was recently added from downtown Portland to the airport so we have had alot of building going on in the PDX area. Most are only a couple years old and all name brand. You would be about a 20 min drive at the max on a Tuesday AM to PDX from Troutdale so you would be near the shopping mall and a couple of hotels-I think Troutdale has a Holiday Inn Express that is new there. Happy travels!

Just a short add. You guys really know how to hurt a guy. We sailed the maiden voyages of the Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam and would have been on the maiden voyage of the Rotterdam out of Venice except Fincantieri badly missed the deadline (and made several big errors in the plumbing installation that weren't fixed until later).

And those madien voyages seem like only a year or two ago.

And were now talking "OLD"???

Yikes.

Archived