"R" "S" "Vista" .... what's the diff?

boomerSexyK

Never sailed HAL.have Zuiderdam SY booked for Nov/06. Only other cruise was on Celebrity Constellation ( Millenium class).

I see various posters raving about the R or the S or the Vista classes of HAL. I realize that the R & S 's are smaller than Vista (which I figure are similar to Celebrity's Millenium class). For the people that have sailed them what are the main or deciding differences between the classes of HAL"s ships? Which class is your favourite and why?

Can't see us ever sailing a ship bigger than a Vista class, but was looking at a possible Transatlantic for next spring and wondered which we should be looking at? I'm in a wheelchair and I guess that's why we have looked at the newer builds, but I would assume that earlier R & S ships have been updated to allow total accessiblity

Thanks for any comments from fellow CC'ers

Never sailed HAL.have Zuiderdam SY booked for Nov/06. Only other cruise was on Celebrity Constellation ( Millenium class). I see various posters raving about the R or the S or the Vista classes of HAL. I realize that the R & S 's are smaller than Vista (which I figure are similar to Celebrity's Millenium class). For the people that have sailed them what are the main or deciding differences between the classes of HAL"s ships? Which class is your favourite and why? Can't see us ever sailing a ship bigger than a Vista class, but was looking at a possible Transatlantic for next spring and wondered which we should be looking at? I'm in a wheelchair and I guess that's why we have looked at the newer builds, but I would assume that earlier R & S ships have been updated to allow total accessiblity Thanks for any comments from fellow CC'ers

Hey, boomerSexyK... we just got off the Caribbean Princess (3100-3800 pax) and were very disappointed by the experience. We can't wait to get back into a Cat SY on Zuidy on 11/4. Vive la difference!

Candy the ZuiderPrincess <-- looking forward to #7

Welcome to HAL cruising! The main difference between these 2 'classes' is that the 'R' class (the MS Rotterdam & the MS Amsterdam---also HAL's co-flagships) are just a little larger than the 'S' class ships (The Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and the Veendam) and the 2 'R" class ships have a few more elevators. All are lovely ships with wonderful crews and staff.

The Vista class ships which is comprised of the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and the new Noordam are currently the largest and newest ships in the HAL fleet. But tho they might be the largest of the HAL ships...they are not considered 'big' in comparison to many of the megaships that are sailing the seas. The Constellation that you recently sailed on IS larger than HAL's Vista class ships. I've sailed twice on the Millenium which is the sister ship to the Millie and I'm sure that you will enjoy your Zuiderdam sailing.

And currently my very favorite ship of all the ones that I've been fortunate to sail on is the beautiful and elegant MS Amsterdam!!

Happy sailing!

As far as I know, the S-class and R-class ships are just as easily accessible as any of the brand-new ships. I saw quite a few wheelchair passengers last year aboard ROTTERDAM (R-class) and all seemed to be having a great time and were very well looked after.

The main differences between these ships and the Vista-class ships is that the Vista-class ships are much larger. the Vista-class ships are around 82,000 tons, just a bit smaller than the MILLENNIUM-class ships which come in at around 90,000. (The layout and design of the Vista-class ships makes them feel much "smaller" though, since they have smaller and more intimate spaces rather than the big dramatic ones aboard the Celebrity ships.) The S-class ships, in comparison, are approximiately 55,000 tons and the R-class about 60,000. So an S- or R-class ship is about two-thirds the size of a MILLENNIUM-class ship.

The main advantage that I can see of the Vista-class ships is that they have a greater number of balconies, which tends to make balcony prices a bit lower. For an equivalent cabin, the S- and R-class ships tend to be slightly more expensive. On the other hand, the S- and R-class ships have larger cabins, more space per passenger, and personally I prefer the decor and layout of the S- and R-class vessels. Also keep in mind that since they are smaller, they may be easier to get around.

They are all lovely ships, but personally I give the edge to the S- and R-class ships, which I prefer to just about any other ships in this price range. They are a more "manageable" size while at the same time having all the features and amenities that people want in a cruise ship these days.

Doug, while we're on the subject, what class is the Zaandam? I could use a chart showing which ship belongs to what class. The more I learn about the ships, the more I feel like a maritime "train spotter," and I'd like to be in the know about the various classes of the HAL ships. Now that the Alaska season has begun, I take a 3-mile roundtrip walk on my lunch hour every Friday to visit the Zaandam through the chain-link fence at Terminal 30. The Vision of the Seas was moored next to her last time. Much bigger than Zaandam, with lots of glitzy green windows. My HAL ships are much more nautical-looking. When she first called on May 5, I was almost hyperventilating as the bus rounded the flyover and I got my first look at Zaandam. "That's my ship!" The woman next to me was very kind, and listened as I told her that I would be aboard the Zaandam on September 15. I think she was relieved when I got off the bus at the next stop, however.

One other thing. I visited the lovely Veendam (through the fence, at Pier 66) when she called on the 12th in Seattle, and started a conversation with a woman who works for HAL as a shore excursion person and as a port lecturer. She pronounced the name of the ship as Veen-dam (long e, dam as in damn). I've been to the Netherlands, and I would have pronounced it VAYN-DAHM. Is there a guide as to how the name of our ships are pronounced? Is Zaandam ZAHNDAHM or ZONDAHM? Ryndam RHINEDAHM or RINDAM? Aboard the Westerdam last year, Captain Dirk van den Berg welcomed us aboard the VESTterrrrrrrdahm.

Mrs Muir

Can't see us ever sailing a ship bigger than a Vista class, but was looking at a possible Transatlantic for next spring and wondered which we should be looking at? I'm in a wheelchair and I guess that's why we have looked at the newer builds, but I would assume that earlier R & S ships have been updated to allow total accessiblity[/color][/b]

Since HAL generally has an older passenger demographic, most all their ships will be totally wheelchair accessible. I guess the lure of the new Vista class is that they carry more passengers and thus have more onboard ammenities than the older ships. For example, the show lounge would be more state of the art, allowing for more elaborate stage productions.

The larger ships tend to cater to the family market, with popular itineraries ... mostly seven-day sailings. So the Vistas will generally have more children onboard, since there are more diversions available for them.

But the reason some of us like HAL's older ships is specifically because of their smaller size, and thus more "refined" ambience. I've sailed one Vista ship (Zuiderdam) and both "R" class ships (Amsterdam and Rotterdam). As far as I am concerned, I could have taken those cruises on two entirely separate cruise lines. The Zuiderdam experience was totally different from the other two. The ship was much bigger, hence more walking to get around. With the dining room on one end of the ship, and the show lounge on the other, you've got a nice hike to get to the lounge after dinner. The hallways where the cabins are located are long ... and if your cabin is at the opposite end of the ship from where you are, you've got a nice walk. With the smaller ships, this isn't really an issue. The walk is never that long.

Also, the passenger demographic is entirely different. The smaller ships ... at least from my limited personal experience ... are more expensive to sail. Simple economies of scale. If you have a Vista ship holding over 2000 passengers, the cruise fares can be kept lower because costs are spread out. Because of this, you'll find a lot more families with kids onboard the Vistas. That means a crowded, noisy pool deck ... noisy dining room ... longer lines in the Lido Buffet, etc. The shows will often be geared to a younger audience as well, with late night adults only comedy in one of the lounges ... musicians playing music that will appeal to a younger audience. Not necessarily a bad thing ... just one of the differences.

Since you get an overall younger passenger demographic, of course, this means that you have the potential for having the "party crowd" ... "beer by the bucket" ... group onboard. If it's a shorter itinerary ... say seven-days ... you will also get more affinity groups onboard ... that large auto dealership incentive group who wants to party hardy at the pool each afternoon. Again, not necessarily a bad thing. It just depends on what kind of a cruise experience you're looking for.

There's also a disco, Northern Lights, onboard the Vistas. You won't find that on the other ships.

Like I said, it's really all a matter of what you are looking for. I look for peace and quiet on a cruise. I get enough excitement at home. I like a smaller ship where I can get acquainted with my fellow passengers. I see the same people repeatedly over the duration of the cruise, and it's easy to start up a conversation. On a Vista, since there are a lot more people, you could conceivably never see that person again who you had such a wonderful conversation with yesterday. Also, since you have more families and groups traveling together on the Vistas, it's harder for someone like me (who generally travels solo) to make acquaintances with others. They are in their own groups and sometimes not interested in meeting new people.

There's nothing wrong with the Vistas. It's just that some of us prefer the ambience of a smaller ship, and a more intimate cruise experience.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Doug, while we're on the subject, what class is the Zaandam?

ZAANDAM... R-class.

This question about the different "classes" of ship is one of the most common ones we get. I've always meant to make a "sticky" post about this, but never got around to it until now!

So, click here for a full explanation of the different classes that make up HAL's wonderful fleet.

Hey, boomerSexyK... we just got off the Caribbean Princess (3100-3800 pax) and were very disappointed by the experience. We can't wait to get back into a Cat SY on Zuidy on 11/4. Vive la difference!

Candy the ZuiderPrincess <-- looking forward to #7

Candy -

I enjoy HAL so much and have referenced your reviews of the Zuiderdam many times. I booked the Star Princess just to try something new only to have the trip canceled due to the fire. So, I have a credit to use on Princess. I would love to read your review of the Caribbean Princess. Any chance you will be posting??

Thanks

Candy - I enjoy HAL so much and have referenced your reviews of the Zuiderdam many times.
Thanx, boatlover... it's hard not to love Zuidy.
I booked the Star Princess just to try something new only to have the trip canceled due to the fire. So, I have a credit to use on Princess. I would love to read your review of the Caribbean Princess. Any chance you will be posting?? Thanks

OK, here's part of it, but you won't like it.

Thanx, boatlover... it's hard not to love Zuidy.

OK, here's part of it, but you won't like it.

Thank you Candy. Doesn't sound anything like HAL. I will however give Princess at try as the credit was appreciated and I won't let the opportunity for a discounted cruise pass me by. I will do more research on Princess ships before making my selelction.

Thank you Doug for the excellent description of all HAL ships.

I have sailed only one HAL ship (ms Westerdam) which I loved, and several Princess ships. Candy I agree with you - the Caribbean Princess is the worst of the Princess line - much too big and too crowded.

***For the best experience on Princess, go with either the Island or Coral Princess*** these ships are smaller than the "Grand Class" and are the best the line has to offer, IMO. I have sailed the Regal also, an older traditional ship that is truly a grand lady, but sadly not to be with the Princess line for very much longer. I understand the Sun/Sea/Dawn Princesses are small and wonderful ships as are the larger Sapphire and Diamond Princesses. I would advise staying away from the Star, Grand, Golden, Caribbean, and Crown as being larger and not as personable.

I hope you will enjoy using your credit on Princess, boatlover.

Archived