Prinsendam's Future Cruises

mickeyfitz

I understand that the Prinsendam appears to be for sale and that it will be sold when a buyer is eventually found, but can I assume that already scheduled and booked cruises will continue without disruption? We are looking at a European cruise for May 2007. We are actually already booked on the Westerdam, but are looking at a change to a different itinerary on the Prinsendam since we could then add 2 additional days. Can we assume that since Prinsendam is scheduled through the year 2007, any sale would not be effective until 2008?

I tend to agree. However, should a buyer offer HAL a nice enough sum where they could pay off those with Prinsendam bookings (with nice percentage or dollar discounts on other ships) then they just might be convinced to let her go. But again, I tend to believe KAKcruiser has the most likely scenario.

We're booked on a very interesting Prinsendam itinerary that's scheduled to sail 6 Oct., 2007. I sure hope this fine ship is still flying the HAL flag at least until then.

But we also know that business is business - and schedules can, and do, sometimes change.

I noticed that an 11/07 sailing is named "European Farewell". Might that be an ominous sign? Anything to be read into it? Or is it just the last Prinsendam sailing in Europe for the year?

(fingers & toes crossed)

I noticed that an 11/07 sailing is named "European Farewell". Might that be an ominous sign? Anything to be read into it? Or is it just the last Prinsendam sailing in Europe for the year?

(fingers & toes crossed)

The name for that cruise was picked months ago.. I don't read anything into it other than the fact that Prinsendam will have been in Europe for the summer and will be leaving Europe for several months. Marketing has to come up with new names to describe a cruise that will be similar to but not quite the same as one from a year before.

Grumpy -- Thanks for a very logical explanation. We're booked on her 14-day holiday sailing and are oh, so very much, looking forward to it. We're already checking out her 2007 sailings, so your post is encouraging.

Grumpy -- Thanks for a very logical explanation. We're booked on her 14-day holiday sailing and are oh, so very much, looking forward to it. We're already checking out her 2007 sailings, so your post is encouraging.
As you can see by my signature, I'm going to be very disappointed if she doesn't make her first scheduled sailing in 2007, along with the one starting August 30. It looks like you'll be getting off the Holiday cruise as we are boarding for Circle South america/Antartica.

Grumpy, It was your great "Circle the Globe" thread that got our attention and piqued our interest in the Prinsendam. You and Slinkie must surely love that "dam" ship:D

Looking forward to meeting you both at the end of Oct.:cool:

Does anyone know for sure Prinsendam is for sale? Are we all just speculating or does someone have concrete info about it?

Sure, I know......most things are for sale for the right price but how do we know? Maybe that Amsterdam is doing the World Cruise? Is that an indication of anything?

Sure, I know......most things are for sale for the right price but how do we know? Maybe that Amsterdam is doing the World Cruise? Is that an indication of anything?

I don't think so - I understood from some folks on the Inaugural that they preferred the World Cruises on Amsterdam or Rotterdam to Prinsendam, so they complained to HAL (and HAL really listens to it's World cruise pax) Fortunately, there was enough demand for dual "World Cruises" so HAL were able to comply and still have two sellouts making everyone happy.

:)

I don't think so - I understood from some folks on the Inaugural that they preferred the World Cruises on Amsterdam or Rotterdam to Prinsendam, so they complained to HAL (and HAL really listens to it's World cruise pax) Fortunately, there was enough demand for dual "World Cruises" so HAL were able to comply and still have two sellouts making everyone happy.

:)

The Prinsendam Grand World Voyage was a victim of its own success. There was so much demand that it was announced to the passengers onboard the 2005 GWV that HAL would probably use the Amsterdam in 2007 as the demand for 2006 was extremely strong and passengers that wanted to book segments only were being turned away. They also said at that time that a second GWV on Prinsendam was a distinct possibility with a "special ceremony" at some port where the two ships would be there at the same time.

This has all come true with the Amsterdam doing the GWV, the Prinsendam doing two Grand Voyages during the same time frame, and, guess what, their paths will cross in Dubrovik, April 11, 2007. Both will be in port from 8a to 6p. The only thing I haven't seen is any announcement of "special ceremonies", but I bet it will happen.

I'm sure that feedback from past passengers was also a consideration, but the final decision was based on total demand, not passenger preference. Remember, the Prinsendam came into the fleet in order to do a world cruise with a ship of the size needed, based on a much lower demand after 9/11. The Amsterdam sailing at 1/3 full could not continue.

I have seen pronouncements of the Prinsendam's pending sale for about two years now... always by someone that "is on the inside", or knows someone there. So, it's pretty obvious that Prinsendam is on a list of ships that could be sold.. if the price is right. It's also a strong possibility that serious negotiations are underway. The strongest indicator to me is the change in drydock schedule in December 2006. It was changed to a 3 day from a two week and then a longer drydock scheduled for late 2007.

I am only speculating, but that sounds like a "due diligence" hull inspection in 2006 so that the cost of repairs can be determined and factored into a final sale price. Of course, there could be other reasons for the change, such as inability to get needed materials in time for the 2006 drydock, or there may have been something in the propulsion or other systems that they initially thought would require a lengthy repair and was later found to be something that could be addressed in a different manner.

I guess, at this point, information about the Prinsendam being for sale would have to be in the "informed speculation" category.

I don't think that HAL would have any problem selling Prisendam with turnover to the purchaser six months or more out, even if cruises are already being advertised, booked and sold. After all, they already renege on sales when they contract for a full-ship charter with Atlantis or some other organization. I can't see that a sale would be any different.

I heard that the Amsterdam used to do the World Cruise ... pre-911. However, after having to send the Amsterdam out on her World Cruise right after 911 ... with only about 400 passengers onboard ... HAL switched it over to the Prisendam for subsequent years. I would imagine now that travel levels are back up to where they were pre-911, HAL just switched the World Cruise back over to the Amsterdam since it will accommodate more people than the Prisendam.

I personally hope the Prisendam sails for many more years. I've heard lots of good things about that ship ... both on and off this board ... and would love to take a sailing on her one day. I'm just hoping she's still in HAL's fleet when I next have the opportunity to do so ... which more than likely won't be until sometime in 2008.

Blue skies ...

--rita

This has all come true with the Amsterdam doing the GWV, the Prinsendam doing two Grand Voyages during the same time frame, and, guess what, their paths will cross in Dubrovik, April 11, 2007. Both will be in port from 8a to 6p. The only thing I haven't seen is any announcement of "special ceremonies", but I bet it will happen.

Grumpy1 you are correct about a special ceremony in Dubrovik. I saw that in a brochure which was handed out on the Amsterdam during our Pacific cruise last fall. I just cant put my hands on the brochure to quote it. But it did say that there would be a special celebration.

For another reason to return the Amsterdam to the World Voyage HAL says "In addition, the Amsterdam is built to cover the seas quickly, enabling her to travel more than 3,000 nautical miles farther than itineraries of recent years and allowing guest more time in fascinating ports of call."

That statement was in the Winter 2006 Mariner magazine.

Well, if she does leave the HAL fleet - I have my doubts that she'll actually be sold now that Swan Minerva has given their one ship up to Princess - I'd be willing to bet that she's more likely to be transferred over there now...

In this week's Ocean & Cruise News e-mail supplement they reported that rumors are around & about that the Prinsendam might be sold and find her way to Britain’s Saga Cruises. But rumors are just that.

In this week's Ocean & Cruise News e-mail supplement they reported that rumors are around & about that the Prinsendam might be sold and find her way to Britain’s Saga Cruises. But rumors are just that.
Do you think Captain Card might enjoy a "work" assignment as artist on board the Sagadam?:)

I had also heard from a certain ACD that some reps from Fred Olsen were poking around her earlier this year...

...but that was before the R (#?)/Minerva II was transferred over to Princess.

Who knows - I just hope that she doesn't end up someplace where she's not taken care of properly

We disembarked the "Prinsendam" this past Sunday..

During our cruise Peter Daems,the CD, had a coffee chat in the Queens Lounge with Capt. Christopher Turner..Several hundred passengers attended this chat & Capt. Turner stated that this rumor is absolutely untrue & the "Prinsendam" IS NOT FOR SALE..He stated that the reason the "Round the World" cruise was transferred to the "Amsterdam" was due to the popularity of it..He also said the Prinsendam was originally scheduled in dry dock in December..This was changed to a three day WET dock in December & the dry dock will be the following August..They are planning to completely retrofit & modernize the Prinsendam & use it for special cruises such as the Amazon cruise & the Med & North Africa cruise next year..The "Amsterdam's" Round the World is sold out for 2007..The OB Cruise Consultant got the Prinsendam Passengers a special offer to pre-book the "Round the World" in 2008 with a wait-list for 2007 for a $100.00 deposit...This was offered only to the Prinsendam passengers as HAL does not have the prices out for 2008..The deposit would be refunded if you decided not to accept the 2008 prices..

This is a lovely little ship & everyone was delighted to hear that HAL intends to keep her..

Grumpy:

I heard the rumor of the Pdams sale in the sixth floor laundry room which even the GC concedes is the font of all knowledge (and the starting point for all the best rumors). Must be a done deal.

Ides

And why do I get the feeling that you would not be above stepping into the deck 6 laundry room from time to time and dropping a few juicy tidbits into the rumor mill?:eek:

Archived