Philippine Airlines?

atlmichelle

Has anyone here been on Philippine Air? I am especially curious about experiences on flights within North America. (delays? overbooking? etc?)They have a significantly lower fare from Las Vegas to Vancouver in September. But not being a world traveler, I've never heard of them, and just hoped for some input before booking. THANKS!

Philippine Airlines went through some rough times, including a bankruptcy and major service reductions. The flight from LAS to YVR is a "tag" on the end of their Manila-Vancouver service...it operates once a day, four days a week.

The aircraft is an A340, so any premium class ticket would get the benefit of international premium seating. Not sure of the service level.

Overbooking and delays will occur with ALL airlines. Some are more prone than others. Not sure if the DOT has this information for the LAS-YVR route. I'd say that PAL is probably about in the middle of the pack on this route, since it's a part of an transpacific routing and they would want this service to operate without disruption. However, they are not blessed with spare aircraft lying around, so you run that risk.

You might also want to look at Harmony Airways (formerly HMY) for discount service between these cities. Westjet, too.

Phillipine Airlines is OK. Just OK. Nothing really wrong, but nothing exceptional either.

I flew home from Bangkok on a medical emergency last October. Had RT Cathay Pacific tickets. Couldn't buy my way onto a Cathay flight a few days early. Found the Phillipine flight as my only option on the day I needed to get out of Bangkok to LAX.

It was OK. One thing I did notice-they offered free drinks and wine in coach. Pleasant surprise.

I sure wouldn't worry about LAS/YVR. There are MUCH worse flights to take.

Thanks for the quick replies! Just this evening I got an e-mail announcing a 20% Off Sale this week only on Alaska Air that actually included our route, date, AND one-way trips! I've been watching the fares for a few weeks now, and it seems like one of those important factors is always excluded from the best deals. :(

Anyway, there was exactly ONE non-stop flight available, and since the mid-afternoon Vegas departure fit perfectly into our schedule, I took that as a sign and booked it!

Of course I'm not really familiar with Alaska Air either,but since the deal is done, would anybody like to share any super-positive thoughts about them? :)

Archived