When to stop wearing a bikini

I am in my forties and am in fairly good shape, nothing to brag about, but only about five pounds overweight. I have noticed that the shape of my body is changing and I am a little "soft" in some places. Should I consider a one piece or a tankini?

I am not one to stroll around in my bathing suit and usually wear a cover up if I am walking around on deck, but I love wearing a bikini for sunbathing.

Hubby wants me to wear the bikini but I know at some point I have to put my bikini days behind me.

and if you feel comfortable in a bikini, then do it. I have been on more cruises than I can remember, and more beaches . . ., and other than the 20/30 somethings, no one has a perfect body (and even some of them don't:eek: ), so go for it. And remember, you probably will never see any of the people again - and with clothes on (at dinner, etc.) no one will remember you from the pool area:) .

My funny story is when I was 30 something (and in great shape by any standards), one of my sons was in little league and they were having a pool party at someone's home and he asked me if I would wear a "regular" bathing suit! It seems that all of the other mothers always wore one piece bathing suits while I was still wearing a bikini. And, of course, I bought a "regular" bathing suit and made him happy. Oh, for those days:cool:

If you feel good in it go for it. Honestly there's not much you can hide in a one piece anyway. They stick to your skin and it's all out there for show.

My stepmother is 70 and wears a bikini. She's in amazing shape tho. The rat! :D

I think if you feel uncomfortable in a bikini, then maybe it is time to stop wearing a bikini.

Take an honest look at yourself naked in the mirror. Remember, women tend to view themselves 25% larger than they really are.

Ask a good friend whos opinion you trust what they think of you in a bikini.

I know if you have been here much you have heard my story of the woman, mid/late fifties, who looked gorgeous in her bikini in Martinique-until she took her top off and exposed the fact her boobs were going south!

I would say unless you have a major tummy or something-wear your bikini-or ask hubby-if he is panting after you in that bikini-my guess is you still look very well!

Heck, I have seen plenty of older women that could give much younger women a competition!

You know I don't like getting older either and feel I look much worse then hubby feels I do. Maybe it is just we don't want to get older huh?

Wear the bikini. We are our own worst critics. Things that you might consider 'flaws', no one else would even notice. Accentuate your positives and your 'flaws' will be less noticable!

Enjoy it... I am in my thirties, a little soft in places and if I were to wait until I got into that 'perfect shape' to wear my bikini... it might not ever happen. Hubby loves me in it and I feel good. Plus, a bikini is so much more bathroom friendly!!;)

Several years ago we were stationed in Saudi Arabia with the military. At our private compound, there were many families from Europe in addition to the US troops.

The bikini fashion show came every weekend at the pool. I basically can't remember a European NOT in a bikini. None of them were uncomfortable. It was only the US ladies that shied away from being seen in a two piece suit.

So it seems to me, wear what you want and are happy in. It's not anyone's business.

But I do wonder about the men that seem to be comfortable wearing those Speedos........

and if you feel comfortable in a bikini, then do it. I have been on more cruises than I can remember, and more beaches . . ., and other than the 20/30 somethings, no one has a perfect body (and even some of them don't:eek: ), so go for it. And remember, you probably will never see any of the people again - and with clothes on (at dinner, etc.) no one will remember you from the pool area:) .

My funny story is when I was 30 something (and in great shape by any standards), one of my sons was in little league and they were having a pool party at someone's home and he asked me if I would wear a "regular" bathing suit! It seems that all of the other mothers always wore one piece bathing suits while I was still wearing a bikini. And, of course, I bought a "regular" bathing suit and made him happy. Oh, for those days:cool:

So cute-your story! what the moms won't do for their babies huh?

Around a 100 years ago-back when I was in grade school- my friend did not want her mother to come to parent's day at school-why?- because some of her class mates had made fun of Mom's red hair (natural) when she had been picked up for a dentist appt.

Kids can be cruel-so children always want their parents not to be "differant".

Why would a one piece impress others?

I think what this person meant if the Op was so concerned about what others think of her. Poor choice of words.

Heck if she has a fairly good figure and has only put on a few pounds-chances are she will impress others in that bikini. So many young women are more then a "few pounds" overweight and are NOT impressive in their bikinis.

I am 40 and in average shape and I wear a bikini. I probably always will. I don't care what others feel, I hate one piece suits and Tankinis. They are both terribly uncomfortable to me. As long as I am in the sun, I'm in my bikini. You will see all shapes and sizes on your cruise in very kind of suit. I LOVE those 70 semthing ladies that have their bikinis on! They rock....and I will too someday when I am that age!

Mrsfuzzmo

Wow, Silverwolf, that could be me writing that post. I'm 45, 5'2" and weigh about 105, which is about 5-7 pounds more than I feel my best at. I'm small boned, so any extra weight shows. I still wear my bikinis for the same reasons you do, my husband likes me in them and I like to tan. I did buy a suit last year that had a bikini top and a matching tankini top, so if I was going to a swim or jacuzzi party with friends I might wear the tankini just to feel a little more comfortable. I work out and am in pretty good shape but, like you, getting a little "softer" overall. My husband keeps telling me I look better than a lot of women in their 20's and 30"s (but he's 53, so he thinks I'm a "hot young thing", LOL!) As long as you feel good in your bikini, you will look good, especially if you project confidence. I wouldn't run all over the ship in one without a cover-up, but certainly out on the pool deck, into and out of the pool and hot tub, on the beach, etc. I say WEAR IT!

Gad you guys could have been at my house today. I was trying on two suits. Both with the longer top and the little skirts on the bottom. My husband is non-committal. He says if you want to hide more, then wear the one with the longer skirt. He says it looks like a short dress. Hmmm. That may have said it all. I don't want to look like someone from the 1910's. I am almost 5 -2 and about 115 pounds (use to be 95 pounds until I hit 40 and then 50). My stomach isn't real big - it's those legs. The area between the swimsuit and the knees. They are kind of mushy. Oh well, maybe I don't care. Our cruise is to Alaska so I doubt we will be swimming much and the rest of my swimming is in our backyard. I have tried walking, riding a bike etc. and nothing seems to change it. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

As long as it doesn't make you self-conscious, wear your bikini. With only an extra five pounds, you've got nothing to worry about. On every cruise I've been on, bikinis were worn by women of every size and shape, and no one really notices or cares if their bodies are 'perfect' or not. It all depends on what you're comfortable with.

I sure do understand on the 'soft' part, though. Didn't happen to me until almost 60, but boy, it's hard to firm up.

Gad you guys could have been at my house today. I was trying on two suits. Both with the longer top and the little skirts on the bottom. My husband is non-committal. He says if you want to hide more, then wear the one with the longer skirt. He says it looks like a short dress. Hmmm. That may have said it all. I don't want to look like someone from the 1910's. I am almost 5 -2 and about 115 pounds (use to be 95 pounds until I hit 40 and then 50). My stomach isn't real big - it's those legs. The area between the swimsuit and the knees. They are kind of mushy. Oh well, maybe I don't care. Our cruise is to Alaska so I doubt we will be swimming much and the rest of my swimming is in our backyard. I have tried walking, riding a bike etc. and nothing seems to change it. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We are all differant. I actually bought a coverup in the same lycra material that I wear with my tankini. Why? Because I hated where the skirted tankinis hit on me-nothing to do with modesty-more to do with-the length made my thighs looks strange-the coverup is only a couple of inches longer but enough that I am much more attractive-I look like I am wearing a tennis dress.

Now I have not worn a bikini since before I had Meg- and I stopped not because of modesty or a weight issue but the fact I have a c-section scar.

I also just look better in the little skirt which is why I wear the skirt-now if I did not have the scar I would go for a bikini with the lycra skirt over that.

Gad you guys could have been at my house today. I was trying on two suits. Both with the longer top and the little skirts on the bottom. My husband is non-committal. He says if you want to hide more, then wear the one with the longer skirt.

Not necessarily. Sometimes wearing less hides more. With your height, a longer skirt will look like it is swallowing you unless it hits you right at the top of your calves and is fitted.

In my experience, most men are completely terrified of fashion questions and will say anything to avoid staying out of trouble when asked. You are probably better off asking a girlfriend.

My stomach isn't real big - it's those legs. The area between the swimsuit and the knees. They are kind of mushy.

There is a new option out there too, which is fun...board shorts! If your tummy is good, you can do a bikini top with board shorts and look super cool, while covering the flabby part of your leg!

I am hoping mine get here before June 3rd when I leave for FOS. Ordered a classic pair from www.birdwellbeachbritches.com. They are men's, but they tell you how to measure for women.

I have a skirted tankini with two tops, and now the black board shorts. It will be like having four different suits. :)

Tracy

I had a HUGe wake-up call Monday nitght. I watched the Oprah special. Oprah and I have a lot in common, except for that skin color thing. She's my weight almost to the pound and a little taller than me. She was wearing a nice tied up shirt (not showing any belly) and a long tiered skirt. Her bottom half looked HUGE! I mean monsterous and she's not that large on the bottom. I am now re-thinking the long full skirt thing I do in the summer.

Gingee - I'm 5'2" and not 115 lbs. LOL! I have the same problem - the legs. No one piece is going to cover that up so I wear my bikinis and hope it distracts from the legs.

Archived