When to stop wearing a bikini

There is a new option out there too, which is fun...board shorts! If your tummy is good, you can do a bikini top with board shorts and look super cool, while covering the flabby part of your leg!

I am hoping mine get here before June 3rd when I leave for FOS. Ordered a classic pair from www.birdwellbeachbritches.com. They are men's, but they tell you how to measure for women.

I have a skirted tankini with two tops, and now the black board shorts. It will be like having four different suits. :)

Tracy

Tracy, my Meg wears those because of her surgery scars, they have taken skin grafts from that area on her-she only measures like 33 in the hips if THAT much-she has no tummy what so ever-but boy do those shorts put a BUTT on her-I DO NOT think that is a good look on even a slightly "hippy" woman. I have tried to convince Meg to just buy something skirted-but she has a mind of her own!

I had a HUGe wake-up call Monday nitght. I watched the Oprah special. Oprah and I have a lot in common, except for that skin color thing. She's my weight almost to the pound and a little taller than me. She was wearing a nice tied up shirt (not showing any belly) and a long tiered skirt. Her bottom half looked HUGE! I mean monsterous and she's not that large on the bottom. I am now re-thinking the long full skirt thing I do in the summer.

Yep those put the pounds on me too- but I love those cotton crinkle skirts just for the comfort factor! I wear them anyway! but I would never wear a top that ties at the waist-I just wear tops that don't need to be tucked in-and that are NOT long, like the weskit blouse or tops.

The weskit style top helps to slim me down a bit-so the skirt is not quite so "enlarging' on me.

If hubby wants you to wear it, that's a pretty good sign.

Perfectly stated!

If you are comfy wearing it then go for it. As far as the opinions of others...in my book DH's opinion is the only one that counts.

~e

but boy do those shorts put a BUTT on her-I DO NOT think that is a good look on even a slightly "hippy" woman.

Some are for sure worse than others! Here's the thing...in a perfect world, I would never ever have to wear a bathing suit. :) Both my butt and thighs are large...there really isn't much getting around them (pardon the pun...LOL)

My main goal is covering up the wobbly bits. I'll do my best to optimize my figure in clothing, but as for swimsuits...well, it's much harder to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear :)

Tracy

Perfectly stated!

If you are comfy wearing it then go for it. As far as the opinions of others...in my book DH's opinion is the only one that counts.

~e

I already pretty much toldher that before that post ws even made- I told her if hubby pants after her in her bikini then that was a good sign she still looked good.

Heck too-there are coverups she can wear going up to the pool and else where-so what if she is sunning in a bikini-many people looking nothing like models sun in bikinis. No one will notice her while she is sunning for sure. She can just add the coverup when she leaves the pool area.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided to stick with the bikini and not worry so much about it. Besides I have a few months to lose a little and maybe some crunches will help tighten up my soft tummy.

True story-last year I took my first cruise on the Glory. Hubby and I were soaking up the rays on the Lido deck and enjoying the music. I had to go to the cabin for a few minutes and didn't take the time to put on my cover up. When returning to the deck I was asked to judge the hairy chest contest. Thinking it would only take a minute and I could be on my way, I agreed. Oh boy, what did I get myself into? Everyone was watching and clapping and I was mortified.

Well, hubby was on deck watching the whole thing. I had some explaining to do, let me tell you. He had a good laugh and bought the video which he has shown to everyone-friends, family and coworkers! I was so embarrassed.:eek:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided to stick with the bikini and not worry so much about it. Besides I have a few months to lose a little and maybe some crunches will help tighten up my soft tummy.

True story-last year I took my first cruise on the Glory. Hubby and I were soaking up the rays on the Lido deck and enjoying the music. I had to go to the cabin for a few minutes and didn't take the time to put on my cover up. When returning to the deck I was asked to judge the hairy chest contest. Thinking it would only take a minute and I could be on my way, I agreed. Oh boy, what did I get myself into? Everyone was watching and clapping and I was mortified.

Well, hubby was on deck watching the whole thing. I had some explaining to do, let me tell you. He had a good laugh and bought the video which he has shown to everyone-friends, family and coworkers! I was so embarrassed.:eek:

I have been a little embarrassed myself a time or two-so I do get you and your story as judge! You probally did not need to be though-if young women size 16 plus can wear g string bikinis to sun in and it be okay-well heck I believe you will show them up for sure-you probally had a few jealous of you!

If hubby wants you to wear it, that's a pretty good sign.

ITA! Men are usually honest - sometimes brutally. Go for it. I had tons of stretchmarks on my belly and wore one even though I am thin and never got any funny looks. I saw a plus size gal in a pink bikini. All goes on a cruise. Have fun and don't worry about what everyone thinks! ;)

ITA! Men are usually honest - sometimes brutally. Go for it. I had tons of stretchmarks on my belly and wore one even though I am thin and never got any funny looks. I saw a plus size gal in a pink bikini. All goes on a cruise. Have fun and don't worry about what everyone thinks! ;)

Except my husband thinks I should run around in mini skirts. I just don't know what to say to that. He has serious blinders on when it comes to me. Bless his heart! I hope they never come off.

Except my husband thinks I should run around in mini skirts. I just don't know what to say to that. He has serious blinders on when it comes to me. Bless his heart! I hope they never come off.

That is what I say to my poor husband. sometimes I think he looks at me with rose colored glasses or else-he still has that picture of me in his mind from 25 years ago when we first met!

He's a sweetie and a keeper for sure! I actually think he looks BETTER-he does have a little "pauch" but 25 years ago he was so skinny!

I'll be 40 :eek: next month and I just bought a new bikini for my cruise in June. I work out and have really been going to the gym more than ever to prepare for the cruise! So, if you're comfortable wearing one, than wear it. That's all that matters.

Plus, you will see so many shapes and sizes in bathing suits of all sorts at the pool!! And no one is even paying attention anyhow.

If you need to ask if it is alright, then, it isn't.

I can't get the picture out of my mind of the woman on the pier during my Mariner cruise in Oct. who had on a string bikini. with a transparent scarf tied around her. At least, I am assuming it was a string bikini--you couln't actually see them for the fat rolls. I don't THINK she had pasted on the visible parts of this suit!

I think that I am a bit more forgiving than most. When I see a large sized woman in a bikini, I have to smile. I think it is awesome that she has such a great self-esteem to not care what others think and is embracing her womanhood. If she can do it, so can I!:D

If you need to ask if it is alright, then, it isn't.

I can't get the picture out of my mind of the woman on the pier during my Mariner cruise in Oct. who had on a string bikini. with a transparent scarf tied around her. At least, I am assuming it was a string bikini--you couln't actually see them for the fat rolls. I don't THINK she had pasted on the visible parts of this suit!

Sounds like the young woman on one of my cruises who was at least a sz 16 in the g string/thong bikini. I think though the OP is concerned because she has picked up 5 pounds and is now over 40- five pounds do NOT make rolls of fat. Nor is whe talking about a thong bikini-just a normal one.

By the way I was on MOS on the Oct. 2-9 cruise- were you on that one?

My cruise had the red hat ladies and also lots of Little People including Matt and Amy from LPBW on TLC. I actually got to meet them- briefly!

LOL-you described me!

My bikinis are now on display at the Smithsonian!!!!!!

I used to think that "big" girls wearing a two piece had self esteem...now I think..they have no mirror!!!

Oh well...we are all different shapes and sizes...I'll stick with the "miracle suits."

My bikinis are now on display at the Smithsonian!!!!!!

I used to think that "big" girls wearing a two piece had self esteem...now I think..they have no mirror!!!

Oh well...we are all different shapes and sizes...I'll stick with the "miracle suits."

I am not that big-except for my mid section area! but you know I never could ahve comfortably worn a thong even in my young days.

I really do not think a bikini looks that bad on all women who are plus sized-but you do need a "perfect" body to wear a thong! I don't care how highly "self esteemed" a person is.

To me is shows more self esteem to camaflauge your flaws. You care about what you look like.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I think you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I'm 31 and from what you describe, I'm sure you look better in a bikini than I do. I actually wear a skirtini to cover up my thunder thighs and stretchmarks. I'm smaller on top than I am on bottom, so I just pad up my boobs and cover up my thighs(but only with a straight skirt). I feel it gives more of an illusion of hourglass, but maybe I'm just delusional.

But I'm also under the philosphy of "Just because they make it in your size, doesn't mean you need to wear it." I'm a size 12 and there are definitely things that I shouldn't wear. Like crop tops and ultra hip huggers - with all my "baby" fat (that I still have after 6 years) hanging out.

We're going on our first cruise as adults this fall. Any tips from anyone for this newbie.

I've been thinking about this. We, as women, get so hyped up about stretch marks. No, they are not pretty, but most of us, who've been through birth, have them. They are badges of honor, not something to cause shame. Not everyone has to feel this way, but I do. So if someone has them out for show I won't say a word. I might smile but... I've lost a child. The stretch marks are one of my few reminders. I almost lost my preemies, again the stretch marks remind me how close we came on the days I want to cook and eat them (the kids, not the stretch marks).

Speaking as someone who tans, swims, hot tubs & gardens nude at home, you all are lucky I wear a bikini on vacation (unless, of course, I'm at a nude beach--which is as often as possible:p ) I'll wear a one-piece if I'm doing something active like water aerobics or windsurfing, but otherwise--less is more as far as I'm concerned. My body is far from perfect but as long as my suits fit me properly, I'm not concerned about what others think of my less-than-toned legs or midsection, cellulite, or stretch marks.

Whoever said--stop wearing the bikini when you're not comfortable in it--was right. I don't think it has anything to do with age or size.

And if people talk about how I look behind my back, I don't care. Have great self-esteem, you see:D BTW, people who vacation nude are a LOT more easy going (about body image) than people who fret about what bathing suit to wear. It's a very interesting phenomenon....

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I think you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I'm 31 and from what you describe, I'm sure you look better in a bikini than I do. I actually wear a skirtini to cover up my thunder thighs and stretchmarks. I'm smaller on top than I am on bottom, so I just pad up my boobs and cover up my thighs(but only with a straight skirt). I feel it gives more of an illusion of hourglass, but maybe I'm just delusional.

But I'm also under the philosphy of "Just because they make it in your size, doesn't mean you need to wear it." I'm a size 12 and there are definitely things that I shouldn't wear. Like crop tops and ultra hip huggers - with all my "baby" fat (that I still have after 6 years) hanging out.

We're going on our first cruise as adults this fall. Any tips from anyone for this newbie.

It sounds to me you want to make yourself look as attractive as possible-just like Stacey and Clinton teaches us on WNTW on TLC- there is nothing wrong with that to me and that has nothing to do with self esteem for those who dress as though they don't care how they look. They just appear not to care how they look-if anything that conjers up in my mind a LACK of self esteem!

No need for you to apologise for wanting to look attractive! I do beleive you have the tips already!

I've been thinking about this. We, as women, get so hyped up about stretch marks. No, they are not pretty, but most of us, who've been through birth, have them. They are badges of honor, not something to cause shame. Not everyone has to feel this way, but I do. So if someone has them out for show I won't say a word. I might smile but... I've lost a child. The stretch marks are one of my few reminders. I almost lost my preemies, again the stretch marks remind me how close we came on the days I want to cook and eat them (the kids, not the stretch marks).

Nancy, :)

I am currently quite a bit overweight but in fairly good proportion - I have NEVER worn a bikini and at age 47 have decied that what the hell, so have purchased 2 really nice ones for my cruise in September - (okay i am now on a strict diet and hoping to lose 24 pounds in the next 12 weeks).

I have some nice cover ups to wear and will only wear the bikinis while sunbathing. For swimming I will resort to the Tankini or One-piece.

:p :p :p :p

Archived