Kenai Fjords NP Crusie Tour

Perseids

Is one vendor better than another... The way I'm reading it they all are the NP Service run tour, right? We are contemplating doing this tour on 06-08. The 8am tour. Should we make reservations in advance, or will we most likely be able to walk up and get availability?

There are 3 major companies that do boat tours of Kenai fjords. (a few smaller ones) I've gone with Alaska Heritage and Major Marine, well run tours. Go with what fits your timeframe best. The only one with a park ranger on the boats is Major Marine. But I haven't sailed with on cpt on Alaska Heritage who did not know Kenai Fjords extensively. :)

Yes make advance reservations, unless you are flexable with several time slots.

There are 3 major companies that do boat tours of Kenai fjords. (a few smaller ones) I've gone with Alaska Heritage and Major Marine, well run tours. Go with what fits your timeframe best. The only one with a park ranger on the boats is Major Marine. But I haven't sailed with on cpt on Alaska Heritage who did not know Kenai Fjords extensively. :)

The Alaska Heritage site takes you to the Kenai Fjords NP site when you check into the cruise, so I am assuming that it is the same outfit.... Or they are an agent for them anyway...

All of these companies are privately owned but Major Marine contracts with the National Park Service for a ranger to be on board. The National Park Service does not run their own tours. Kenai Fjords is the longest running company in the business and provides the most departure options; they are owned by the Cook Inlet Native Regional Corporation or CIRI whose hotels and tours are under the name of Alaska Heritage. Major Marine Tours, Mariah Charters, and Renown Tours are their top competitiors. New this year is a two hour tour of Resurrection Bay and the Alaska Sealife Center run by the Sealife Center. Their site is http://www.alaskasealife.org

In all the years we've taken the tour, I've never found that the ranger vs. no ranger on board made that much difference.

As Budget Queen said, go with what best fits your schedule. The 8am tours tend to be less crowded since folks haven't had the time to come down from Anchorage. I'd still never do a tour without a reservation. If you do drive down, give yourself extra time since construction season is here so allow at least 3 hours to get to Seward or get to Seward the night before. It's a beautiful drive down from Anchorage along Turnagain Arm and through the Kenai Mountains.

A good site to check them all out is the Seward Chamber of Commerce at http://www.seward.com They also have hotel, cabin, and b&b listings.

We have taken the Kenai Tours 6hr tour twice and had great tour both times. The boat has never been crowded, we put all our stuff in a table booth, and then wander around the boat all tour, mostly outside except when crossing open water at high speed. The captains as said are very knowledgable and they are the largest operator in Seward I believe. There lunch of fish and chips or chicken strips, plus cookies, fruit and a drink are fine and fit into the schedule and glacier viewing.

BQ, according to Renown's web site (http://www.renowntours.com/), they now feature a National Park ranger on-board too. We're doing Renown because of the Toursaver 2-for-1 coupons--what a bargain!

Archived