What is the port area of Belize like?

MikeNKim

Yes. The tenders will drop you off right by where most of the shops are. Its not as extensive as, say, Cozumel, but we fond some pretty cool little shops. If you wander too far from the area, it can get a little questionable. The city is pretty poor, but the locals we met were mostly friendly. Don't remember many places to eat close by, but I'm sure there's something.

We always like to walk into town and explore rather than taking ship excursions. Belize was not very interesting. Yes, there are stalls near the docking area. We also crossed the bridge and walked into town. I have to admit that it wasn't very exciting. Not much to see.

I would recommend that if you're not going to do an excursion in Belize, plan on spending some of the day on the ship. Belize isn't a good place to just wander around, and most of its beauty (and it IS beautiful) can only be seen on a guided excursion. The tourism village is surrounded by armed guards, which is why the fence (our excursion left from the docks, so we didn't see this ourselves). There were two major points I noted - along the strip where the tenders land, there's a little collection of shops and a restaurant, and far to the left there's a long tunnel of shops (didn't note details on that).

We had little time to shop, so stayed with the shops along the main strip, and found some really nice things. The exchange rate is great (2 belizean dollars to 1 american) and some of the shops initiated bartering. Look around before you buy, as some shops have same or similar items for different prices. (If the shop is air-conditioned, prices will likely be higher and you don't barter, as usual.) In addition to the usual t-shirt/souvenir stuff and the ubiquitous Diamonds Int'l, there are some unique shops with great finds here.

Please explain
The Tourist Village in Belize City is fenced off from the rest of the city. It is not recommended that you venture out beyond the fence on your own.

Not quite as bad as Labadee, but close.

There is a nice little church maybe a mile up the road from the port. Very nice carved wooden doors, some grave markers from long ago. It was the first something Church in the central america. I can't remember what but it was first at something. Other than that not much to see. There are some very shady looking characters wandering around. I would recommend an excursion.

Have Fun!

Upon returning from our excursion, our tour operator let us know that it might not be in anyone's best interest to leave the tourist area, even though I think we had an hour or so to kill if I remember correctly.

Even if they said it so that we would spend our $'s in that area, it was all we needed to hear.

Thank you all for the info.

I think I will just walk around the terminal area and take advantage of getting a chair near the pool.....on deck.

Thanks

Kim

If you are not interested in an excursion, that might be a good plan. I would suggest you take a look at some of the threads on the ports of call board for Belize, if you haven't already done so. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

You might find something that does interest you.

The tender ride from the ship to the port can be a rather exciting excursion itself, lol.

I was in Belize in March of 2006. To me, there wasn't much at all around the port and we could only find one place to eat. We also did the "BELIZE ZOO WILDLIFE TOUR AND BELIZE CITY". We didn't book throught the ship, it cost much less to book one off the ship. Also, there are no beaches unless you go to an island.

Let me add my vote for you finding an excursion in Belize.

DH and I went on a cruise a few years ago that stopped in Belize. We did cave tubing with Reggie and we had such a fabulous time that we went back to Belize this last December and spent 18 days wandering the country!

We had a GREAT TIME. The people are incredibly friendly and helpful (and they speak english!), the country is beautiful and awe inspiring. The snorkeling is amazing. The mayan ruins are fabulous. The Zoo is a kick in the pants. :D The food, while by no means gourmet, it very good. The One Barrel Rum is cheap and YUMMY (and so is the Belikan Beer!). Accomodations were basic, but clean and extremely inexpensive.

All that said, there is one place that virtually ALL Belizean citizens and/or residents will warn you away from: downtown Belize City (which is where the port is). They will tell you not to go on foot. It's dangerous. This was not said (or experienced by us) of ANY OTHER place in the country. We wandered the streets and alleys of other towns in Belize at all hours, and we alway felt safe. Heck, even most of the police officers don't carry anything bigger than a billy club, and they do walking beats! (the exception to this is generally along the border of Guatemala, who is trying to "annex" Belize).

So go: take an excursion (don't limit yourself to the cruiseship sponsored excursions), enjoy the country, the people, the experience. And maybe, like us, you will like it so much you have to return.

My wife and I have "wandered" around Belize City with no problems. Once you get past all the locals hanging around the fence no one bothered us. If someone approaches you want to sell something, just wave your index finger indicating "no" and they will leave you alone. Learned this from some of my Hispanic students.

Dh and I liked Belize but stuck close to the port area. We did venture out of the guarded gates to look at a little flea market that was across the st. but back in the secured area. I would not go out of the port area again unless I had a ship excursion booked. We were fine walking in the market but I felt uneasy....There are some interesting shops in the port area and a couple of fun restaurants/bars...one particulat caught our eye. The bar is to the left as you get off of the tenders...the waiter and a dancer gets patrons up on the bar dancing to latin music....We spent a good hour watching all of the antices...We spent a couple of hours in port and got back to the ship...which was wonderful as the pools and hot tubs were empty. We got choice spots and quiet relaxation.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who have been to Belize, my dh will be on a golf excursion while we are there. This will leave me and my 4 yo DD having the day to ourselves. I really don't want to take a 4 or 5 hour tour with her by myself and I don't think she would like the 2+ hour tour of the city. And after reading this thread, I'm not real sure I even want to do it.

Is Camp Carnival open during the morning time when at port? If so what times generally?

Would it be safe for me to go to the Pier area staying inside the fence by myself or with my 4 yo? I wouldn't be interested in eating there, just maybe pick up a few tshirts or small souvineers. Can I leave my DD on the ship while I go to the port area alone?

Thanks!

1. The pier area is perfectly safe - There are a number of shops and restaurants there. However, I would only recommend wandering around the city to those who are very comfortable wondering around this kind of port.

2. Some of the best shore excursions are offered in Belize - fascinating ruins, lovely countryside, interesting wildlife and cave tubing, taking a boat to one of the Cays - to name a few.

For those of you who have been to Belize, my dh will be on a golf excursion while we are there. This will leave me and my 4 yo DD having the day to ourselves. I really don't want to take a 4 or 5 hour tour with her by myself and I don't think she would like the 2+ hour tour of the city. And after reading this thread, I'm not real sure I even want to do it.

Is Camp Carnival open during the morning time when at port? If so what times generally?

Would it be safe for me to go to the Pier area staying inside the fence by myself or with my 4 yo? I wouldn't be interested in eating there, just maybe pick up a few tshirts or small souvineers. Can I leave my DD on the ship while I go to the port area alone?

Thanks!

Where did your dh play golf while in Belize? Was it a nice course?

He hasn't played yet, we will be leaving on the Valor on 7/23. I think it is called Cay Chapel. We booked the excursion thru Carnival. It is actually quite nice as the golf pro from the ship goes with you and gives you tips and such. You have to take a tender to the shore, then a bus to the airport and a 10 minute airplane ride that lands right at the golf pro shop. It isn't cheap but does include all the transportation and cart and greens fees. I believe it was $235. He has looked it up online and it appears to be very nice. It is an 18 hole course.

Archived