Tortola/Baths/risk getting seasick?

jpurdy

My big dilemma is whether to risk getting seasick on the ferry to the baths on Virgin Gorda. There is a ferry right? I do fine on a ship, but am very concerned about this! Any feedback is welcome and while I would like to see the baths, if I can find a nice beach to snorkel at on St. Thomas I will choose this instead. Ideas? So far I'm leaning toward Sapphire Beach. Thanks for your help. Will be on the Legend in 2 weeks.

I really am just looking for feedback on the trip over to Virgin Gorda. How long does it take and is it usually smooth or....can it be rocky? 2nd question, just want to me SURE we can get a cab to Sapphire beach from the dock and do we arrange with driver to pick us up later or are there taxis at the beach to bring us back? Thanks again.

We've been to Tortola once and took the excursion to Virgin Gorda. I can describe the ferry ride, but can't judge the "seasickness" quotient as, luckily, I have never experienced this.

The ferry is a boat about 80 - 100' with two levels of seating. Inside on the first level and in the open air on top. It goes at a pretty good clip and the trip is about 1/2 hour. The forward progression was swift enought that there wasn't mutch side to side rocking, but there is some bouncing over waves and wakes.

Other than Virgin Gorda we just did some shopping around roadtown and enjoyed some painkillers at Pusser's, so I can't comment on any of the other beach possibilities.

Hello

Rob and I have been to tortola 2 times and went to the baths both times the baths are beautiful and if you like going through cave etc they are there also. the ferry ride is about 30 min and it does go pretty fast. I have never seen anyone on the ferry sick . dont know if this helps but you should go to the baths, O there is a walk down to the baths that is kinda rough terrain have a great day James

Cane Garden bay has plenty of restaurants/bars and small shops but is not known for it's snorkeling. This is a main stop for the charter sail folks and there is often lots of dingy traffic to shore and not much to see anyway. Your best bet for snorkeling here is toward the west end curve of the beach

Hey jpurdy, are you doing the 13th of June trip? We are and I decided to go with Patouche charters. I gave them a call last week and set up a time. Even though their website said Sundays was something else (Peter Island?) Julie is putting us the Extreme Machine to go to the Baths. Everything I've read says go to the Baths at least once. Let me know and maybe we can all save some $.

Archived