Let's take a Dog Cruise !!!

boomerSexyK

I am just loving reading everyone's stories about their dogs and their love for them. Makes me feel a little less weird about our dog!!!:)

But I'm beginning to think those cabin stewards are used to the dog pictures in the cabin. We always bring bring a small framed pictures of our Molly! It's almost the first thing out of the suitcase and the last to go back in;) .

Just had to show you my babies! Lucie (the brown & white) and her sister Luckie. They are Portuguese Water Dogs & just turned 6 months old. They would be right at home on a ship!

rocks

1545920600_outtosea.jpg.0c6d17c60d0b78adc84f1c80bd554403.jpg

Can I send my Golden retriver and labradoodle on a cruise by themselves? :)

We LOVE travelling with the dogs, but its only recently that large chains like Lowes Hotels and others are realizing that it makes economic sense as well. Perhaps the cruise lines will someday "come on board" also.

We are RCI timeshare members. They did a magazine cover story on travelling with pets, yet even they offer only a handfull of third rate pet friendly destinations.

Just had to laugh at this thread. I have 12 dogs. 2 will be going to doggie hotel and the others will stay home with our young adult kids while we are on our first cruise. We will be on the Veendam, on our first trip to Alaska.

As we were choosing our shore excursions my husband and I both read the dog sled camp info. We looked at each other for a second, and in unison said "Uh, no dogs"

I will miss them, but they are part of what will bring us home. I fear we will get there and not want to leave.

As for flying: Northwest has a wonderful (though pricey) set up for pets. We flew to San Francisco from Detroit and their fare was actually more than ours. But, we saw the van pull up to the plane, they were the very last items to be loaded, and before take off, the fight attendant brought us the paper showing they had been loaded. Both of the dogs were fine, my nerves were the ones that were shot LOL

So let's see now. Every week, just about every cruise ship has to turn away passengers who were unaware that they need certain documents to travel internationally. Next we will have to turn away passengers AND their dogs who were unaware that:

1. You need a passport or other documents to leave America and return.

2. Your animal needs even more documents than you do to visit another country and return.

And if your dog bites another passenger, who settles the lawsuit? You, the cruise line, or both?

When your dog does his business on the open deck and you are too busy to clean it up; a jogger comes by and slips in it. Who pays the medical bills and settles out of court?

If another passenger is allergic to dogs, who refunds the price of their cruise?

You or the cruise line?

Do you mind if the Deck Steward is cleaning up dog poop and then handling the limes in your Corona?

Your neighbor's dog is barking on the balcony all night. You cannot sleep. Does the cruise line give you a refund?

If you can bring your dog, then I get to bring my cat. Otherwise it's discrimination. And if I can bring my cat, then Bob can bring his pet alligator.

Our golden retriever, Eddie, would love cruising! He likes people and he loves napping. If we were to relax on the Promenade deckchairs, he would lay down and nap as long as we stayed there. I always board him at our Vet. I could save a little money at cheaper pet boarding places, but I can't leave him with anyone who is not familiar with his routine of spoiling. He needs his bed, his favorite toys, and constant reassurance that he's the best dog in the world. Our vet is in love with him and lets him have the run of the office with his own dog. The two of them have a grand time together. But for me, I always hate the separation. I wish my Vet had video cams in the office. I could buy some Internet minutes and check on my boy from time to time! I read that there are some boarding places in California that have that...

I am just loving reading everyone's stories about their dogs and their love for them. Makes me feel a little less weird about our dog!!!:)

But I'm beginning to think those cabin stewards are used to the dog pictures in the cabin. We always bring bring a small framed pictures of our Molly! It's almost the first thing out of the suitcase and the last to go back in;) .

Heather even the wine steward saw the pictures we had on the cabin door & inside of our "Brandy"..Like you I too love the Lizards & Frogs on the patio..Have to keep rescuing them from Brandy though..shje thinks they are playthings..Happy Cruising everyone..Betty

P.S. The squirrel left the fish pond & Brandy is sad..

Do you suppose there will be a few people in wheelchairs that our yellow Lab "Polar Bear" can chase?

We did take our Portuguese Water Dog (Stumpy) with us coming home from Naples to New York on the old SS Constitution via the Italian and French Riviera. The Kennels were on the uppermost deck. They had a "Kennel Master" who fed the dogs and took care of them. We were not allowed to give Stumpy snacks but could see him and walk him at any time which we did several times each day.

Here's my only concern... our dog was a 175 pound Neapolitan Mastiff, who had a dog sitter (that would be her human grammy, my mom) stay with her when we were gone 'cause she was giant stressball - and we would love love love to take her with us, but there is NO WAY I could subject those great stewards to her drool on the walls, on the floor, on the blankets. And HAL's beds are the best... and I want to sleep on it, but she always managed to take up the ENTIRE king size bed at home and look like you have completely annoyed her if you had her move! Could you imagine what she would do with those HAL beds ???

Archived