Let's take a Dog Cruise !!!

boomerSexyK

HeatherInFlorida....Robin7 ... and all you dog lovers out there, SexyK thinks that we need to get a cruiseline to set-up a Dog Lover cruise. We could call it the Cruise Critics Canine Cruisers !! CC CC'rs!!

It always seems to be such a tearful time for SexyK.... whenever we have to leave "Charlie" to get a little get-away time. We usually travel with him, booking dog-friendly hotels and such. But as of yet have not found a dog-friendly cruiseline...LOL:D

Can you imagine all the logistical problems? Most definitely a designated "poop n scoop" deck....YUCK! How about dining arrangements? It would be interesting to see HAL's Blue Ribbon chefs come up with a dog friendly menu ... steak tartar could be a biggie. How about turning the aft pool into a doggie swim area? The ideas just keep popping into my head, but would be interested in some other responses. There could be a Scholarship@Sea program for Obedience classes. Turn the under-used HAL's Loft into a dog-sitting area for those shore days. The shops could stock up on cruise-collars & leashes, doggie T-shirts saying "Mom & Dad left the kids at Home, But brought ME!!" A dog groomer in the Spa for those formal nights!

This could be a whole new cruise industry in the making!!!!:D

PICT0010_sm.jpg.5f286384c936c1d9ba979e5f5886a296.jpg

I can't imagine how Dorcas would handle a cruise ... she's a sweetie, but she has a very bad habit of sticking that long snout of her's into other dog's rear-ends.

dorcas104.jpg

But, oh, it would be SO MUCH EASIER on everybody if she could just come with me on my cruises. FAR less whining and crying and acting up when I leave and when I come home. My parents tell me that when I'm gone she can sometimes sit in the living room, gazing out the bay window, looking for my car, for HOURS on end. :(

Can you imagine all the logistical problems? Most definitely a designated "poop n scoop" deck....YUCK!

Our cruise last fall on the Oosterdam had a service dog organization aboard. There were about two dozen dogs. HAL had provided two pallets of sod at one end of the Promenade Deck which were fairly icky (even though the formed stuff was scooped up) by the end of the trip.

Love the dog-cruise idea, though! We'd take Chewy. Bichons are such people-loving dogs. Chewy is friendly to all men and beasts. He's too young to leave at the boarder's and hasn't had all of his shots yet, so we had to take him with us out of state to my neice's wedding last weekend. He traveled in our motorhome like he owned it! It was very funny.

We're taking the kids camping this summer for ten days, and he will be going along. Thank goodness the kids are staying home when we cruise to Alaska on the Zaandam or I don't know what we'd do with him.

Robin

I like a break from them also.

While Bruno (mix 65lb) would be content to lay in the sunshine and nap the three girls would constantly be into something. Emma (lab mix 30 lb)would chase anything she could then bark non-stop at it. Rudy (mix 40- lb) is a shameless flirt who loves to roll on her back as if to say "hi guy, I'm fixed." And the "teenaged brat" Zoey (mix 35 lb) would be irritating everyone.

No they go either go to "dog Camp" or their "uncle" and doggie cousins come stay with them.

I like a break from them also.

While Bruno (mix 65lb) would be content to lay in the sunshine and nap the three girls would constantly be into something. Emma (lab mix 30 lb)would chase anything she could then bark non-stop at it. Rudy (mix 40- lb) is a shameless flirt who loves to roll on her back as if to say "hi guy, I'm fixed." And the "teenaged brat" Zoey (mix 35 lb) would be irritating everyone.

No they go either go to "dog Camp" or their "uncle" and doggie cousins come stay with them.

I so totally agree, I have two Toy Poodles and love them dearly but... sometimes it is good to get away. It is a vacation for me not to have to fix their meals everyday and all the other things it takes to be good doggie parents. Now I have a Cat that I could see bringing along:D He would certainly be easier as far as having a litter box, as long as I can give him bottled water and he was with his mommy he would be a happy cat.

Hi...I'm Bear...a Golden Retriever ....I'm a Certified Therapy Dog just in case someone has problems....I could make cabin calls. I do great kissing and snuggling therapy. I go everywhere with my folks except someplace they're calling the QM2...I overheard them talking about Bear going to "doggie camp". I know I'm Bear...what the heck is doggie camp??? I heard her tell my Grandma Mary that Dr Joe will probably spoil me but I'd be willing to bet that doesn't include sleeping at the foot of his nice soft bed every night! And now there's a HAL brochure on the coffee table...I peeked...it looks kind of like the QM2 brochure did. I peeked at that too. Hey, a guy's gotta know what's happening...Lots of pictures of lots of water...I LOVE water..I'm a retriever...it's what we do! So how come I can't come?

Too bad my Mom is such a computer dufus or I'd have her post a picture of me too...I'm pretty handsome. Cheers, Bear (and his Mom Penny)

??

?

I love my little furbaby to bits and pieces and hate leaving her behind when we cruise but I'd never (willingly) put her on an airplane and relinquish my control of her care to the same people who toss our luggage around.

If we were boarding near home, maybe I'd think about bringing my sweetie but No, No, No.....not on an airplane.

HeatherInFlorida....Robin7 ... and all you dog lovers out there, SexyK thinks that we need to get a cruiseline to set-up a Dog Lover cruise.We could call it the Cruise Critics Canine Cruisers

All kidding aside ... if an organization sponsored a cruise like this ... marketed it nationally ... and was able to do a full ship charter for it ... I can't imagine HAL or just about any other cruise line wouldn't be only too happy to work with you in making it happen. If the whole cruise encompassed this theme, and the group was willing to pay any extra expenses (such as sod for one of the decks, any damage that so many dogs would do, etc.), I wouldn't be at all surprised to see such a cruise happen.

I think there is much more flexibility with full ship charters and a cruise can be put together around just about any legal purpose.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My old dog would love it. She likes nothing better than lying out in the sun all day when she isn't busy socializing with every person and/or dog who comes near the yard. (She has never met another dog she didn't like.)

However.... the puppy is another matter. All it would take is someone accidentally rolling a ball between the rails and she would be dogpaddling in the ocean in an instant - probably with the ball in her mouth. :eek:

I can see it now ... everyone walking their puppies on the Promenade deck and, when they get to the aft of the ship, picking them up and hanging their rears out over the water so that they can "relieve" themselves. :)

when they get to the aft of the ship, picking them up and hanging their rears out over the water so that they can "relieve" themselves. :)

Ya know, this can be read two ways. The second way put a very funny picture in my head. :D

Thanks NoNoNanette....my Mom thinks I'm pretty adorable...personally I kind of think it makes me sound like a sissy. Now if Trouble needs some help on the topless deck, I could probably be available....Cheers....

I would move heaven and earth and drive for a gizillion miles if we could take our Molly on a cruise with us. Words cannot describe how my heart aches saying good-bye to her when we go away.

If not for our wonderful friends who take her into their home, I swear we would not go.

So, BoomerSexy, this is a fabulous idea! I can just see our girl making friends with all the others. Of course she'd be doing a heck of a lot of rolling over on her back so everyone could rub her belly!

Heck, why not??? They can do whatever they want to do. I bring my little plastic baggie and we're good to go.

Thanks for the dream:)

Can I bring my Sis's Dog? (since she wont let me bring my nephew yet...)

Callie is a Husky-Mix who loves to ride in the car with me - especially if we happen to stop by the local DairyQueen for a soft-serve (in a cup please...)

I'm thinking we're gonna have to do this cruise on the rrrrrrrRott-erdam!

My puppy (eight months) has not experienced us leaving her for a couple weeks. I don't know if my husband can handle the separation. LOL

She is staying home in her own house with a member of our family though.

If not for our wonderful friends who take her into their home, I swear we would not go.

I'm hoping we won't ever have to leave Chewy at the boarder's. We leave our 100-pound purebred yellow lab (whose pedigree bred the brains right out of him) but he LOVES it. They have heated/air conditioned kennels and 24-hour access to the play yard, complete with doggy wading pool in the summer. I've heard that Bichons don't do well when their families leave them so we just plan on carting Chewy along. He IS much more portable than our huge lab. (Oh, THE HAIR!!!) I guess it's a really good thing I have seven kids at home so someone will undoubtedly be here to babysit him when we cruise, after all someone also has to be here with my underage children, right?

Is that Molly's own little Bichon, Heather???

Robin

Hi boomersexyK and everyone:

How would a neurotic 8 yr. old border collie named Maddie do on a cruise ship trying to herd up 1400+ passengers for the life boat muster????.....just great because fun is her middle name. The only problem would be trying to keep her away from the chocolate extravaganza. Great thread...thanks

Our two black labs (mother and daughter) love to swim.

I can just imagine the complaints about all the shedded black hair in the pools.:)

girls1.jpg.2abcfdd1bae0c25e138e8b7348a80121.jpg

Archived