Beach glass????

cruiseescape

if they are in a good mood, they will definitely be fine walking it.

will they have their own backpacks so parental units don't have to carry EVERYTHING??? <grin>

One silly point-

We did not bring the beach towels the first day. Second day we did...

they're kinda plush aka heavy compared to most beach towles (free advertising for cruiseline)

We only had two....

so if they have a backpack they can stash theirs in- in will definitely make you all happier campers...while walking...

and make sure you have drinks...instead of water- we carried Costco/kirkland version of GatorAde.

Gets DARNED humid at times.

Now- on a kind of related note- wish I had packed a sheet from home to use on the beach- we used the towels....to lay out on....

Bernadette

What is the best time to go and gather sea glass? And what beach was your favourite to do this? Thanks.

Peace.....Anna

I only picked up the beach glass on Achilles Bay Beach. I would think the best time would be when the tide is out. If you read this whole thread, a lot of people mentioned other beaches too. Have fun.

Jackie

• 2 weeks later...
Just returned from the Norwegian Crown (yes, the ship stuck on the reef). There was so much beach glass on the small beach next to Alexandra's Battery Park, the beach glass washes up right on the beach. To get there from the dock in St. George's make a right onto Duke of York street, this then turns into Barracks Hill, then it is Cut Road (all the same street just name changes, you are walking with the water on your right). You then make a left onto Floral Lane, Battery Park is just ahead and the beach is to the left. You can see the beach glass from the road at the waters edge!

So you are saying you walked there? If so how long does it take?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Walked (1.4 km or 7/10ths of a mile I was told) to Alexandra's Battery Park (went up Duke of York Street towards Gates Fort to Floral Lane (1 block long) and made left and and saw beach on right and dug up sea glass. Used a kitty litter shovel which worked well and easy to transport. The locals there said it was rough that day but that didn't stop me from going in and shoveling it out. My dh sat on the seawall and sorted it out. As we had never been in that area before, it was a nice walk (about 25 mins. some places being uphill). We took great shots of the Empress and town from the hill up there walking back. In fact, a carriage stopped at the beach so they could get off and look for glass.

Bermuda was beautiful last week with no rain (a sprinkle as we were tying up at St. Georges).

Happy sailing!

Evie

7/10th might be right. I was guessing 1 mile. Either way, it's about a 30 minute walk to Alexandra Battery Beach Park. The Battery isn’t much to see, but the real prize here is sea glass! You’ll find it by the handful at low tide amongst the reef rocks at the end of the cement seawall (located between the battery and the beach). There is some scattered on the beach too, but the treasure lies beyond. Especially look for the cave, about 15 feet beyond the seawall, where the sea glass is 5-inches deep and sparkles in the late afternoon sun. Pottery with blue or green stripes, impressions, blue anchors, and inscriptions can be found amongst the white, green, blue, brown, red, clear, and ivory hued glass. We filled 2 quart-sized bags in about 30 minutes. You can do it in 5 minutes, but it was fun to be particular.

Walking back to town, we stopped into the Bermuda National Trust Museum at the Globe Hotel. This interesting museum tells the tale of the profitable blockade running that took place during the civil war. Cool souvenir: they have a press with the official “Great Seal of the Confederate States of America” plates and they make silver-foil copies of the seal with a nice matte border for $5.00. The seal itself was commissioned in 1863, measured 3.5-inches in diameter and cost $700. Around 1864, the seal reached Wilmington, NC on it’s fourth blockade run (then on to Richmond. Today it can be viewed at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, Virginia), while the press itself remained in Bermuda.

Tips for Bermuda Visitors and Cruisers

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

My Family of 6 (four children ages 14,13,12 and 10) and my husband took your advise and a taxi to Alexandra Bay in St. Georges to look for seaglass.

The Taxi driver thought we were a little crazy for this request. He had never heard of such a thing.:eek:

I have never collected it or seen it for that matter, but after reading this post thought it would be a nice (and free) experience for the kids and something for them to bring home.

Well, it was the biggest highlight of their week. The beach was covered in multiple colors, and as stated it started at the road and went all the way to the shore.

I would not have walked this from town as it was remote and quite far from the pier. Thanks for the great info.

My kids mounted their seaglass and brought it to school the first day.

I love all the info found on CC. I have been to Bermuda 5 times before this trip and never even thought about this until I read it on CC.

Thanks again:D

Sherrie:

How much was the cab ride from St. George's to Alexandria Beach and assume a van type that can hold 6 persons?

Did the cab wait for you and drive you back?

Hi, He charged us $50- per hour and was well worth it. We ended up spending 6 hours total with him and got to see the entire island end to end. I'm not sure how much it would be just to that beach and back?

• 3 weeks later...

We were there a few days ago. It is about a 20-25 minute walk. As you go up the road, you can see a street that goes to the left with a view of the ocean. That is floral lane and it cuts through directly to the park. It is a scenic walk. if you continue without taking the cut through, you to to an old small fort that guarded the small entrance you sailed through.

We also continued our walk to Ft. St. Catherines and Tobacco Bay, but it was a pretty long trek. Recommended if you are used to walking.

Happy hunting.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Cabs come into King Square in St Georges constantly, just look around and you will find a 6 passenger one. We took one to Alexandria Bay Beach, it took about 5-10 min to get there. Ask the cabbie for the phone number of his cab company because there is a payphone right on Alexandria Bay beach so you can call for a ride back. Or, you can just wait for the next cab full of cruisers to arrive and grab their cab!!! They don't arrive there too often, though, because most of the cruisers go to St Catherines or Tobacco Bay beaches.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, the cab fare for four of us from the ship to Alexandria Bay beach was about $5. and worth every penny!!!!

Archived