Maybe We Made a Mistake...RCCL

We leave next week on the Splendour of the Seas and after reading all of the misc. notes about RC's liquor policy we're already regretting our decision to sail with them. Will they really confiscate my French wines and favorite champagne? I would gladly pay a corkage fee (as with most other cruise lines). Considering their meager wine list with prices almost double of what you pay in a store, I am very disappointed. Any bright lights here????

We leave next week on the Splendour of the Seas and after reading all of the misc. notes about RC's liquor policy we're already regretting our decision to sail with them. Will they really confiscate my French wines and favorite champagne? I would gladly pay a corkage fee (as with most other cruise lines). Considering their meager wine list with prices almost double of what you pay in a store, I am very disappointed. Any bright lights here????

With the recent tragedy, you can bet they will be confiscating all alcohol brought onboard. However, it is their right, it is clearly against their rules.

This is from their website.

Can I bring my own liquor onboard?

We apologize for any inconvenience but due to our regulatory and licensing requirements guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your purchases.

This policy may not apply to every ship or itinerary depending on local laws, customs, or license requirements. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for fines imposed or items confiscated by local authorities

Carol

This exact topic has been a discussion with all the major cruise lines. A friend of mine works in the corporate office of one of the major lines. She said that it is about to come down on all the cruise lines due to the government. Texas ports have been getting stricter, and now they all will.

Will the fact that you can or cannot drink a particular type of wine ruin your overall cruise experience? It seems like a minor issue to me.

I received this reply to my emailed inquiry:

Regarding your inquiry, for guests who have a unique request for wine only, and is not listed in the wine list, Royal Caribbean will allow a maximum of two bottles of wine. A corkage fee of $12.00 per bottle will be charged. We do not allow more than two bottles.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Corey Richburg

Customer Service Representative

But this was sent to me on 5/15/06, which I believe was before the young man went overboard - so I have no idea if this is still acceptable.

Are you bringing a whole case of booze onboard? I think they're cracking down because of that kid that fell overboard drunk. Best to just get some wine onboard and leave yours at home, I'd say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parisgrandma

The more I think we booked with the wrong cruise line...we're sailing next week on the Splendour of the Seas and already regretting our decision...We can't take our favorite French wines/champagnes and have to pay over $30 for their horrible selections? I can't bring a bottle of Myer's Rum for cocktails in my stateroom before dinner? Do they even have Myer's Rum? What will they do if they're in our carry on? Confiscate it until the cruise is over??? Are all cruise lines this rigid? Have we made a big mistake????:(

I posted this for you yesterday when you asked on another thread. If you did not see it, here is the RCCL web address again. You can email and get an answer about your wine.

This has been in effect since August of 2005. You were allowed to bring two bottles of wine with you for special occasions. In the past week or so, this may have changed. They will be held for you and presented to your table on the night you want them. You can not buy and take it to your cabin anymore.

Contact RCCL at web_reservations@rccl.com and ask them about the wine. There is a _ between the word web and reservations. Make sure you put it in there. It can not be seen once the address is unlined.

They should answer you in 2-4 days.

I highly doubt that one unfortunate incident will result in the widespread searching of suitcases to discover smuggled in liquor. Think about it: each passenger brings 2 bags, there are 2,500 pax on board equalling 5,000 suitcases. Within a few hours, these bags are loaded on board, sorted out as to floor and stateroom, and delivered. A huge task, never mind screening them.

If they are searched at all, and I seriously doubt if more than a small random sample are ever opened and searched, they are run through some kind of screening belt and are scanned for bombs or things like that.

If people think that a kid getting drunk and falling overboard is going to result in RCI making a quick decision to individually open and search thousands and thousands of suitcases on each and every cruise, I think you're being overly dramatic in the extreme.

For one thing, passengers can get drunk any number of ways - in port at Carlos and Charlie's, in their stateroom with liquor they've brought with them, or with liquor they've bought in port (yes, I know they sometimes catch that when you return from port but not always), with drinks that they or another passenger have bought. If the boy in question had gotten drunk at C & C's and pitched over the side, would people be anticipating RCI to impose a ban on anyone going there? That makes about as much sense. RCI has a stated policy that doesn't allow you to bring alcohol onboard, that covers a great deal of their liability; whether they dutifully screen each bag for liquor is a whole other question.

I'll be on the Serenade on 6/4 and will bring our customary one bottle of liquor in checked baggage. Who wants to bet me that it makes it to our stateroom just fine? To the OP: wrap your fine wine and champagne in bubble wrap, put in your checked baggage, and don't worry about the 2 bottle limit. I'm sure you'll be just fine - and the worst that will happen is that they'll keep all but two bottles for you until the end of your cruise. And I would bet dollars to donuts even that won't happen.

Here is a copy of an email I sent to C&A yesterday. I would be happy to share their response with you, when I get it.

I have read conflicting information regarding your

policy regarding bringing beverages on board.

I understand, no liquor is alowed to be carried on

board. Is this correct?

I have read that 2 bottles of wine are permitted so

long as they are not brands that you offer on your

ship. With a $15 corking fee. Is this statement

correct?

What about beer?

What about water?

Our TA always has 2 bottles of wine waiting for us in our cabin,an above post said they will only serve it to us at dinner? I don't think so. This is not a city where you can not walk around with a drink in your hand. Has anyone just called RCI and asked how much the corkage fee is with out asking why the have one? If they respond $ 12 or $15 won't that answer everyones question. If they changed the rules on bringing any wine they would say they no longer have a corkage fee and why.Right?

I'm not sure what the policy is at each port and I have no idea if they will crack down more now after this most recent tragedy. I DO know for sure whether I'm allowed to bring on a few bottles of wine or not, I'm going to have a blast on the cruise and it wouldn't effect my cruise experience in the least. If you are honestly regretting your decision over a few bottles of wine maybe you have made the wrong decision choosing RCI.

The mark up is actually closer to 300-400% on RCI. And, yes, their wine list is less than interesting. They eliminated Sommeliers several years ago to cut costs.

I bubble wrap my wine and check it through, and will do so this weekend.

You can call and ask anyone you like but it will not change what can happen at the pier, nor are you likely to get a consistent answer to the same question.

I also wonder why this is such an issue for RCI as X, HAL and the other mainstream lines do make this such a problem. I am happy to pay corkage, I just drink the good stuff!:D

As far as I know, all main stream cruiselines are doing the same thing. NCL was even more strict than RCCL.

HAL, Princess and X permit you to bring as much as you like and pay a corkage. I do not understand why RCI makes SUCH an issue over this!!:(

I just got back from a Transatlantic cruise on the Jewel of the Seas. Before we left Fort Lauderdale I bought 6 bottles of my favourite wine and wrapped them in bubble wrap. When I got my bags delivered to the cabin they were there!! I did have to pay a corkage fee for the ones I drank with dinner. I also drank a bottle in my room and opened it myself (no corkage fee)

HAL, Princess and X permit you to bring as much as you like and pay a corkage. I do not understand why RCI makes SUCH an issue over this!!:(

Considering the last two missing passenger scandals of the year have been at least in some part alcohol-related, and have been on RCI cruises, it seems understandable to me that RCI is taking extra precausions.

In all honesty, as someone who frequently drinks a variety of alcohols, I have no problem with what the company is doing to protect themselves, and I don't forsee it causing much of a stir in the future.

I highly doubt that one unfortunate incident will result in the widespread searching of suitcases to discover smuggled in liquor. Think about it: each passenger brings 2 bags, there are 2,500 pax on board equalling 5,000 suitcases. Within a few hours, these bags are loaded on board, sorted out as to floor and stateroom, and delivered. A huge task, never mind screening them.

If people think that a kid getting drunk and falling overboard is going to result in RCI making a quick decision to individually open and search thousands and thousands of suitcases on each and every cruise, I think you're being overly dramatic in the extreme.

RCI has a stated policy that doesn't allow you to bring alcohol onboard, that covers a great deal of their liability; whether they dutifully screen each bag for liquor is a whole other question.

I'll be on the Serenade on 6/4 and will bring our customary one bottle of liquor in checked baggage. Who wants to bet me that it makes it to our stateroom just fine.

As far as I'm concerned, until I see mass postings of people who have had their liquor or wine confiscated from thier checked luggage, I believe that Travelgrrl's statement above is pretty much the last word. The fact that RCCL says "don't bring liquor aboard" is their "get out of lawsuits free" card. They might increase deck patrols, and give their bartenders a refresher course on when it is necessary to stop serving a wasted passenger, but they are not going to piss off their customers by confiscating their liquor, liquor which, for the most part is not abused as was done by that poor guy who fell overboard.

We're probably booking another Rhapsody cruise in early December, and, like Travelgrrl, I will be bringing my customary one bottle of Crown Royal (and not in a Lysterine bottle either) and if anyone plans on taking up Travelgrrl on her wager, I want in on her side of that action. There will be no mass confiscations. Mark my words. ;)

Archived