gastrointestinal illnesses?

boomerSexyK

Sail we have a young 22 year old girl working in our office who doesn't ever wash her hands even after going to the restroom and being the person I am, I stated out loud that I saw this girl come out of a stall and not wash her hands and the girl in our office volunteered to us she didn't and doesn't see a problem with it.:o I told her it was personal hygene and if she didn't want to do it for herself do it for the rest of us.

Well needless to say I have taken down all the goodies we keep out to share with everyone - ONLY wrapped goodies are left out. I even put a spoon in the Chex Mix with bowls on the side and she would just reach in and grab some. YUCK:eek:

Sorry I do tend to ramble.

Kathy

Isn't it you, Sail7Seas, who always says, "Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands"? Looks like that's the best advice of all.

Yes, Robin......that is my 'mantra'. :)

And, the vast majority of the time for the vast majority of people, it does the trick and keeps them (and others around them) healthy. ;)

Sail!! This is the reason I go back to our own bathroom -- people are just not clear in the public rooms. ec

;) Most of the time, my DH does the same.

I haven't, in the past, always gone back to our cabin. But, after having contracted it, most of the time, I now do. Every now and then though...... :)

Sail we have a young 22 year old girl working in our office who doesn't ever wash her hands even after going to the restroom and being the person I am, I stated out loud that I saw this girl come out of a stall and not wash her hands and the girl in our office volunteered to us she didn't and doesn't see a problem with it.:o I told her it was personal hygene and if she didn't want to do it for herself do it for the rest of us.

Kathy

Oh my goodness.....what is there to say? How can anyone not see the need, the obvious hygenic reasons to wash. Does she shower? Does she come to work with dirty hair?

I sure hope I'm never on a ship with her or someone with her philosphy about hygiene.

Whogo.

You and the Center for Disease Control seem to disagree a bit on how NLV is contracted and spread.

Since I know and trust them - and I don't really know you - I plan to follow their recommendations over yours on my ship.

In any case, If you want to see what they have to say, please go to:

www.cdc.gov/ncidod/revb/gastro/norovirus-qu.htm

Jim,

You are right, although I couldn't follow your link, but quote a different CDC page:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

"How do people become infected with noroviruses? Noroviruses are found in the stool or vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways, including:

• eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus;
  • touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth;
  • having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill)."

I tended to the warning to keep my fingers out of my mouth after touching anything/anyone as something I could do without trying to control the crew or my fellow passengers.

From another CDC page:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-factsheet.htm

"Among the 232 outbreaks of norovirus illness reported to CDC from July 1997 to June 2000, 57% were foodborne, 16% were due to person-to-person spread, and 3% were waterborne; in 23% of outbreaks, the cause of transmission was not determined. In this study, common settings for outbreaks include restaurants and catered meals (36%), nursing homes (23%), schools (13%), and vacation settings or cruise ships (10%)."

From the same page:

"Noroviruses are transmitted primarily through the fecal-oral route, either by consumption of fecally contaminated food or water or by direct person-to-person spread. Environmental and fomite contamination may also act as a source of infection. Good evidence exists for transmission due to aerosolization of vomitus that presumably results in droplets contaminating surfaces or entering the oral mucosa and being swallowed. No evidence suggests that infection occurs through the respiratory system."

Archived