Two way radios?

Gingee

We just saw an ad in Office Max ad today for a two way three mile radios. They are on sale for $14.99 regularly $25. It has a 22 miles radius. We are just wanting this for the cruise to find each other. Any feedback?

Thanks

These are reasonably good radios. They have 22 channels, not a 22-mile range. Range is listed as 3 miles.

However: This is not the radio people buy. This is the business-band radio. What people get are the Motorola TalkAbout (or equivalent other brand) with 14 channels and 38 "privacy" receive modes -- not private in reality, but actually selective receive. They cost a bit more than these and you get about a mile or so, maybe a bit more, range. From all reports, they tend to work pretty well on ships; you might have to stand near your cabin window, depending on where The Better Half is located in the ship.

You could be interfering with licensed users in that band. I don't know if the ship staff uses them, or anyone in the ports, but the GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) is set up for that purpose. Sprinkled inbetween their frequencies is the FRS (Family Radio Service), the radios I mentioned, to be used by most anyone for, among other things, keeping the folks together.

We use and recommend the motorolas, $50 for the pair at Costco, with the subchannels they work great even on crowded ships, please use them thoughtfully, no one enjoys a shouted ten minute conversation over a radio secondhand. I don't mean to imply you would or will be rude, just always mention this is these threads.

:)

When looking for the two way radios look for the kind that has recharable batteries or they will turn out to be expensive. They eat batteries like I eat desserts..lol

Also. let you parties know when you will be in shows or dinner...or public areas where a lot of people are congregating. (then turn it off)

I've heard of one or two people saying the radios eat batteries, but that's not been my experience. If you keep the volume wayyyy down on receive and keep it to your ear (using it like an earphone) it will use very little juice and --an added benefit-- nobody nearby will be bothered. I use mine a fair amount and the batteries seem to last for quite a while. Regular alkaline batteries.

Archived