Do excursions run in the rain

TylerMan

I just checked the forecast for next week and it looks like rain everyday for the ports of Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway. We are booked for crab fishing, White pass RR and a float plane excursion. How bad does the weather have to be before an excursion is cancelled? I know this forecast is not set in stone but it doesn't look good in the weather department.

Also, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the on line weather forecasts you see for Alaska. They seem to put up that it's going to rain in May and leave that forecast up until Oct. Then they add in occassional snow.

-Monte

We did a 7 mile hike in the rain! And actually it was kind of nice because had it been sunny and hot like all the other days, we probably wouldn't have been able to do that hike without falling down from exhaustion! It kind of reminded me of being on a Girl Scouts camping trip! :p

I just checked the forecast for next week and it looks like rain everyday for the ports of Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway. We are booked for crab fishing, White pass RR and a float plane excursion. How bad does the weather have to be before an excursion is cancelled? I know this forecast is not set in stone but it doesn't look good in the weather department.

We just got back last night and had no rain on any of the tours. It misted a little bit doing the kayaking on the way back. The kayaking tour goes rain or shine.

Have fun, it will be awesome in any weather....but hope you do have clear skys.

Claudia

We did a 7 mile hike in the rain! And actually it was kind of nice because had it been sunny and hot like all the other days, we probably wouldn't have been able to do that hike without falling down from exhaustion! It kind of reminded me of being on a Girl Scouts camping trip! :p

Some of us can't relate to this. As much as I tried (when younger) the Girl Scouts would never let me go camping with them :( . And if I tried now, I'd end up in jail, which would be justified!!!

-Monte

They only thing you should have to worry about cancelling is the float plane, if visibility gets really bad.

The train never cancels.

We were in Skagway last week....Wednesday, I believe and the White Pass RR was canceled due to an avalance/rock slide at the summit. Shopowners were happy. :D

Online weather forecasts are hit and miss in Alaska since there are simply too many geographic features that make things difficult at times. Just prepare for possible rain and/or sun and you should be fine.

Archived