Brilliance of the Seas - how accessibile?

travelteam

We finally booked a transatlantic on RCCL Brilliance of the Sea. Did secure a HC cabin. What can we expect in acessibility on the ship? Dining rooms, theatre pool area. Any information will ease fear of the unknown.

We did the westbound transatlantic on the Brilliance last fall and found the ship to be quite accessible.

Our cabin, a balcony on the hump, was well laid out with plenty of space. The bathroom was well equipped and the balcony was ramped on the inside under the carpet so my husband could access it easily. The automatic door that made it easy for him to get in and out, but it did take a while to close. It was also broken for a few days, but they were able to fix it. We have also have had outside cabins on two of the Brilliance's sister ships and both were fine once I had the steward remove some extra furniture.

The dining room was also very accessible. We were on the lower level at a window table (not that it mattered since it was dark well before dinner.)

The Brilliance and its sister ships have a wheelchair area in the rear of each side of the main floor of the show theater. Its not the best view, but its not bad. However, AB passengers sometimes sat there leaving no space for wheelchairs. When I found someone to ask them to move, they said they did not notice the HC symbol. In addition, the HC areas were sometimes filled with chairs or conversely you have to find someone to get a chair for your companion.

The pool area was also accessible, but we did not try the lift.

I had two real issues: the public HC bathrooms on the Promenade deck and the elevators. The HC public bathrooms seemed to be locked all the time (after a while I pushed the button everytime I passed and only once did any of them open during the entire cruise.) I complained at the Purser's desk and was told that they must be in use which I could not believe. On the last day I watched the cleaners leave and tried the button. It still did not work. Secondly, our cabin was near the main bank of elevators. It had 6 elevators, all on the same control so if the one that stopped was too full, others would pass us by. Getting an elevator sometimes took patience.

The ports were more problematic, but doable. Barcelona is quite accessible for a European city and we enjoyed our second visit there. Alicante is not as accessible, but the shuttle from the pier was a kneeling bus so we were able to go into the city and walk around. We also went up to the castle by taxi and down via the elevator. My husband did not go up to the castle at top because it was very steep, but he enjoyed views from the upper elevator level. We rented a taxi at the pier in Malaga and went to Rhonda. The views going to/from and in Rhonda were great and we enjoyed the bull fighting museum there. Lisbon was our best port day. We reserved a van and driver from Toursfor You. Our driver drove us through Lisbon and to Estoril, Sintra and the Westernmost point in Europe. He was very knowledgeable about Portugal, its history and the world in eneral. He also was very attentive and helpful to my husband.

During the crossing my husband not only played trivia and bridge, he also joined some of the other activities like putting and shuffle board. The ship's staff welcomed him and made sure that he could participate.

Relax and enjoy the anticipation of your trip. We enjoyed ourselves and I would not hesitate to sail on the Brilliance again.

Del,

Thanks so much for your post. The information you presented is very helpful. We reserved a HC/JS on deck 10. Did not see a HC cabin on the hump on the deck plan. Would have taken that if we saw it listed. We find most ships have either poor access to public HC bathrooms, or the doors do not work. My poor guy was using one, when a child pushed the button, and the door swung open. Good thing no one in the hallway during that time. Also, I see on the RCCL board elevators are problems for AB as well. I guess our strategy will be to try and use then at off times. We requested early sitting and a table for 2. Gives my DH the ability to have his dinner with me and find socialization opportunties while we join scheduled activities. We never have trouble meeting people on cruises to spend time with. We do sit at larger tables for breakfast and lunch in the main dining room. Gives us the chance to meet others and share the cruise experience.

This trip is 18 months out. So I'll be in touch as I work through other details such as air transport, Barcelona hotels. Right now I'm trying to figure out which insurance to buy for the trip. This is the first time I booked directly with RCCL, so no TA to quide this discission.

Again, Thanks for the info.:D

travelteam:

I had to look it up. Our HC balcony was 7110 which is in the back of the hump. It probably would not be good to watch scenery from, but it was great on a transatlantic because the hump sheltered you from some of the wind. The balcony was good sized too, but it looks as if yours is much bigger.

In terms of insurance. If you have not done so already, check out Insuremytrip.com. It provides information about most of the major travel insurance companies policies and allows you to compare them.

Feel free to contact me as you get further into your planning. I'd be happy to try to help.

Del,

Thanks so much for your post. The information you presented is very helpful. We reserved a HC/JS on deck 10. Did not see a HC cabin on the hump on the deck plan. Would have taken that if we saw it listed. We find most ships have either poor access to public HC bathrooms, or the doors do not work. My poor guy was using one, when a child pushed the button, and the door swung open. Good thing no one in the hallway during that time. Also, I see on the RCCL board elevators are problems for AB as well. I guess our strategy will be to try and use then at off times. We requested early sitting and a table for 2. Gives my DH the ability to have his dinner with me and find socialization opportunties while we join scheduled activities. We never have trouble meeting people on cruises to spend time with. We do sit at larger tables for breakfast and lunch in the main dining room. Gives us the chance to meet others and share the cruise experience.

This trip is 18 months out. So I'll be in touch as I work through other details such as air transport, Barcelona hotels. Right now I'm trying to figure out which insurance to buy for the trip. This is the first time I booked directly with RCCL, so no TA to quide this discission.

Again, Thanks for the info.:D

On the elevators, if at all possible use the forward elevators. They are a little less spread apart than the elevators in the Centrum and less crowded. Most people use the elevators in the Centrum. If you use the elevators in the Centrum, when you press the button position yourself in the center of the elevator banks. Then, if possible, you run and hold the elevator when it comes and your husband wheels himself over. I'm not handicapped but I did hurt my knee when I was on the Brilliance and I ended up missing more than one elevator because I couldn't get there fast enough.

WRP: thanks for the elevator tip. People just run in front of the wheel chair. God love them, they have no idea.

Del, You seem very informed of the layout of the Brilliance. My DH wanted a JS, since he never can get one even when we book 1 year out. It looks like we have a wall that protects us from the front wind. Do you know the site that lets you actually see the cabin layout for each ship? I remember finding it once on the NCL site when we were planning our Janauary cruise. I'll try and find it over the weekend.

Also, you mentioned having furniture removed from your cabin. On our last cruise I needed to have an easy chair brought in for my use, since NCL removed the sofa and chair. No problem, when I asked the hotel manager had one brought in immediately. So, what furniture can be expect to be in the JS? Hopefully it will have something soft for me.

Dee

WRP: thanks for the elevator tip. People just run in front of the wheel chair. God love them, they have no idea.

I try and hold the door open for wheelchairs if I see them coming. My one complaint about the Radiance class is that the elevators are too far apart. Even for able bodied people, they are hard to grab, I can only imagine how it would be if I didn't (normally) have the option of taking the stairs. Definitely give yourself plenty of time to get from deck to deck as the elevators can be a hassle.

In a regular JS, there is the bed, with night stands on either side. A couch with a coffee table plus a padded chair with an ottoman with a small side table next to it (affixed to the wall). Then there is the vanity area that also has a chair.

You may not need to have any furniture removed from the JS as opposed to a regular cabin since there is a lot of extra space in there already.

My DH will be pleased that I won't have to rearrange the stateroom!!!!!!!

I hope I find gentle people who will hold those doors for us! I've been lucky on our past cruises - I manage pretty well, and it's always nice to be around helpful folks. Thanks for the tips.:D

My DH will be pleased that I won't have to rearrange the stateroom!!!!!!!

I hope I find gentle people who will hold those doors for us! I've been lucky on our past cruises - I manage pretty well, and it's always nice to be around helpful folks. Thanks for the tips.:D

Hope you have a great cruise! Brilliance is a beautiful ship. I too hope that you won't have to be doing any rearranging of furniture.

WRP96 using the forward elevators does help with the crowding (except before/after shows;) however our cabins on the Brilliance and its sister ships were right ourside the main bank of elevators so going to the forward ones was not always practical. Not only did they often take you significantly out of your way, ibut t also was difficult for most of the morning and early evening because of the cleanning carts.

Travelteam: We found we had fewer elevator issues once we started the crossing, probably because people were not in as much of a hurry. Also I know it will not help you on a transatlantic cruise, but our last two cruises were from Galveston and we have found that passengers on those ships seem to be much more helpful - perhaps because they mostly come from Texas, the Southwest and the West Coast. Not only did they hold doors and move aside so my husband could get in, but several times other passengers even offered to get off.

WRP96 using the forward elevators does help with the crowding (except before/after shows;) however our cabins on the Brilliance and its sister ships were right ourside the main bank of elevators so going to the forward ones was not always practical. Not only did they often take you significantly out of your way, it also was difficult for most of the morning and early evening because of the cleanning carts.

That's true, I had forgotten about the carts in the hallways. The handicapped JS's are right by the forward elevators though.

we are on brilliance of the seas transatlantic this year istanbul/barcelon/miami and are in a HC JS 1028 in deck 10. we are on the brilliance mainly because we did a similar back to back on a sister ship jewel of the seas 2 years ago with a HC balconied cabin and found the ship and the cabin the most accessible of any we have ever had. as someone has already told you, the doors into the cabin and bathroom are hydraulic push button (timing of closing can be varied by ship's personnel) and door to balcony is ramped. we have found that in using dining room with a wheelchair of scooter you are best located in the front of the dining room with a table for no more than 4. a large table is difficult to get in and out of with a wheelchair or scooter without squeezing tablemates. royal caribbean has a section in their reservations office called "special needs" whose sole function is to handle accessibility requirements. the phone number is 800 722 5472 ext 34492; in the past and on our upcoming cruise on brilliance this year I have dealt with Bruce Spitzer, but they are all very helpful.

Thanks LeoandHugh. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and see about the dining room. Hadn't thought about that. We prefer a table for 2 at dinner. More comfortable for my DH. At breakfast and lunch we enjoy sitting with others and sharing the port stories while making cruise friends. Just our preference.

Do you have any suggestions for Barcelona touring with the wheelchair? We plan on staying 3 days before the cruise begins. Let me know what you are planning. Sounds like a great trip.

you should find that barcelona is very accessible for you; it is one of the most accessible cities in europe since several years ago it hosted the world para olympics. there is a good website http://www.accessiblebarcelona.com/english/transport.html and that can lead you to others. since we are doing back2back from istanbul to miami, barcelona is just a one day stop for us this time, but we were there last year on the westerdam and had absolutely no trouble with a push wheelchair - practically all the curbs are cored - the ramblas is pedestrian only. there are 2 double decker tour buses that leave from the upper end of the ramblas - plaza catalunya - and from the bottom also at the columbus monument. they go about every 15 minutes and are hop on/ hop off making about 20 stops at all the points of interest; the concierge at whatever hotel you are staying should be of help. it's a great and interesting cultural city - we are thrilled to be going back if only for a day.

I should also add that since there are only 2 hc junior suites on deck 10 as far as i can see, we are on the port side in 1028 and you must be in the same on the starboard side.

I really liked the Brillance and found it very accessible. As for the elevators. I too had problems getting to the one that was open. When the elevators where full I simplyed, "Is there anyone willing to take the stairs so I may ride on the elevator?" Everyone was very gracious and moved off so I could ride. My DH and DD took the stairs.

I have some pics of the JS on the Radiance which is a sister ship to the Brillance. We too had an E1 on the end of the hump. We have a JS on our upcoming Alaska cruise so I will more detailed pics when I return. email me If you would like th pics. rtravel@aol.com

Jean

Hi - We are currently looking at the Jewel of the Seas transatlantic from Harwich to Boston for September 2007. Our friend Karen would like to join us but the big question is whether or not she could use the bathroom in a Grand Suite on the Jewel? Is the bathroom raised and would a wheel chair fit through the main door and bathroom door?

One option is obviously to downgrade to a Junior Suite and get one of the only two HC rooms available on the whole ship. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the JS/HC and or GS rooms/ bathrooms on the RCL radiance class ships?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

My husband and I are both disabled and have electric scooters. We've been on the Brilliance twice. It, by far, has been the most accessible ship we have ever cruised on. The best room, the inside cabin on the 2nd deck. Why, when the elevators arrive, they empty out because it is the bottom deck, so you have no problem getting room on the elevator, 2nd it is the deck where you go on and off at the ports, no fighting the crowds to get off the ship and when getting back on, your right around the corner from your room. Also very quite floor, not to many rooms and didn't have any children running up and down the hallway to watch out for. I understand the other radiance class of ships in RCCL all have this HC room on the 2nd floor. The best thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........swipe your card and your room door opens automatically, electric cabin doors! We loved it.

LeoandHugh. We are on the 2007 TA in JS/HC 1028. If you can, when you return from your great trip, let me know how the cabin was, especially the bathroom. Also, if the cabin has a sofa and easy chair. After a long day at the spa, I just love to curl up on the sofa and read a book. I'm sooooo spoiled. Just love cruzing.

We would never take an accommodation that was not HC fitted. We count on having grab bars in the bathroom, room under the sink to wheel into, a roll in shower, and the ability to get into the cabin and out the balcony. Just wish larger suites were fitted for us mobility challenged.

Dee:D

• 2 weeks later...

Dee, let me have your home email address because by the time we get home,these threads may not be active any longer. but if I put your email address into my laptop with a note, I'll remember to get back to you when we do get home. just what I know now ,talking to the special needs desk at rccl - 360 sq ft with 90 sq ft verandah, twin beds , convertible sofa, arm chair with table, ramp out to verandah, roll-in shower with grab bars and folding seat, raised vanity to wheel under, automatic door openers to cabin and to bathroom and pull down hanging rack in closet.

I notice you are from long island; I lived in bay ridge brooklyn and worked in manhattan - watched them build the verrazzano!

hugh:)

LeoandHugh: I'm living through you right now........have a grand vacation and do everything you want...we only live once, so live it up. I can be reached at dee0355@hotmail.com. Let me know how the dining room works for you. We requested a table for two to avoid discomfort at dinner. Let me know how you managed. Bon Voyage!!!!!!!!

Dee

Archived