Favorite Shore Excursions? What & Where?

gdoyle

All you veteren cruisers....What have been your favorite shore excursions?

I've cruised all over the Caribbean, to Alaska, Med. Europe and Mexico Riviera. Going to Tahiti in June. Most looking forward to the Helmet Dive in Bora Bora.

My favorite so far was the Heli flight and glacial landing in Alaska. What's yours?

It's a toss up for me between the Panama Canal by Ferry, Cosol in St. Lucia, the Silvermoon I in Barbados, and the Kukoo Kunuku in Aruba. All amazing in different ways.

1. Flew from Isla Margarita by private plane past Angel Falls and landed in the National Park (jungle) in Venezuela. Went to the El Canaimo (?) waterfalls and hiked behind a 200 ft. fall. Fabulous day. (We did this through Windjammer).

2. Dune Buggying in Cozumel was a great trip. (DCL Magic)

3. Canoeing through the San Blas Islands was indescribeable.(Dolphin Oceanbreeze)

4. Doing the night kayak through the mangroves to the bio-luminescent lake in Puerto Rico. That was cool. we were given to option to jump in and swim and you literally glowed like thos plastic night sticks in the water. Once in a lifetime experience. (Carnival Victory)

So many more, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind!

Mrsfuzzmo

Jeep 4x4 in Cozumel. We had FANTASTIC guides and the private beach for lunch was truly private and GORGEOUS!!! We had such a great time - try to be one of the first jeeps, though, as sometimes the jeeps get flats and that way you are less likely to be stuck behind one that does.;)

We loved these:

Carribean- Boat trip to Barbuda from Antigua to the most beautiful pristine beach imaginable, swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel, Stingray City in the Caymans.

Mexico-Zip-line Adventure in Puerta Vallarta.

Hawaii-Helicoptor around Kauai.

Alaska-Crabbing/sightseeing/Rainbows/Crab Lunch in Ketchikan, whale-watching in Juneau, White Pass Railroad in Skagway, Float plane trip over Misty Fjords.

Boy, what a question! Since we have only sailed the Caribbean, I will divide it into the 3 sections.

Western - Stingray City on the Buccaneer in Grand Cayman

Eastern - America's Cup Regatta in St. Maarten

Southern - Silvermoon I in Barbados

We have done other wonderful excursions, but so far these are our favorite 3.

My favorite was taking a helicopter from Juneau Alaska up to the to of the glacier and hiking around. I felt like we were all alone in the world. The ice is the most fantastic color of blue. WOW!!

Great question by the way.

Hands down favorite was the "Ocean - to - Ocean" shorex when on the Coral Princess to the Panama Canal. After transiting to locks from the Caribbean into Gatun Lake, we disembarked the Coral, boarded a smaller shop and sailed thru the rest of the Canal. When we exited the Canal into the Pacific, we sailed out around Panama City, docked at Balboa, and boarded a bus that took us back across Panama to reboard the Coral at Cristobal.

A very close second was whale watching in Maui this year. Also very impressive was the shorex to Volcanoes National Park at Hilo. Being on top of Kilauea was awe inspiring.

Every time we cruise we think nothing can top what we have seen and done on previous cruises, and we are always wrong.

I've only been on one cruise...so far. We did the Western Caribbean - Tulum Mexico was a huge surprise. We took the excursion knowing that we would be visiting some ruins, but I was unprepared for the breathtaking beauty of the sea that lays behind the ruins. It was such a thrill to see the gorgeous water and the beach.

We really enjoyed Stingray City in Grand Cayman, as well. A relatively inexpensive and unusual activity.

We've had lots of great experiences, but I think the Chacchoben ruins (booked independently with David and Ivan) are the most memorable. In part, it was the expert and engaging guidance provided by David, and in part because it was such an unexpected treat to see ruins in a forested, more natural setting that any others we have visited.

A close second was a walk through the rain forest to a waterfall with swimming hole in Dominica (again booked independently, through Beno). It was an easy walk (we had a 2 and 5 year old with us), but the whole experience was magical.

Archived