Roll Call: Crown Princess - 8 day Repositioning/Halloween 10/27/2006

rthomasmke

Hey guys,

Here's the original poster......still here, still watching, still can't go. No job yet, though it is looking good that something is popping here. Dan and I really wish we could go and I know that Peter and Rolando are looking forward to it also.

They were on Crown over Labor Day and had a great time. Couldn't get to Bermuda (I think) because of the hurricane.

When you have the drink, raise your glass for we boys stuck back in Wisconsin. You don't know how bad we want to go.

bob

Scooter,

That is great you have halloween costumes. I don't think we are going to dress up. Louis is very shy and isn't really into getting dressed up for halloween. GEEZ I am still trying to get him to wear a tux for formal night let alone getting him into a costume! LOL.

Bob,

Sorry you still aren't able to go on the cruise. :( Don't worry we will toast to you guys.

Mike

Bob, sorry you won't be joining us but it's good that job prospects are in the offing. We will think of you guys and report back after the cruise.

Mike, the costume isn't a big production. I've been on Halloween cruises before and you wouldn't believe some of the elaborate get-ups people bring. Carlos may be reluctant to wear his too, so maybe you'll wear his and he and Louis can pretend they don't know us.

Later!

Scooter

Scooter,

Oh Oh...what kind of costumes did you put together??? LOL I am going to try to find my full length cape, maybe I'll take that, slap on some makeup and be the count. Lets see.

We still don't have anything planned for Antigua or St. Kitts. Think we will make Antigua another beach day. Since it will be Antigua's Independence day when we arrive. Tried to book Eli's Eco tour but they are not operating that day due to the holiday.

I know I am going to miss docking at Havensight in St. Thomas. Lets see how Crown Bay is as far as cabs go. We are doing Coki Beach. Well I should get to work. Can't wait to board!

Mike

We'd like to go snorkeling and Coki would be a logical choice, so if we can get a group together then there's a better chance we'll get a taxi over there. Coming back is no problem because the taxis wait at the beach for fares. I don't get it with Crown Bay. Funny you should mention cape because my costume includes one as well (that was one awful visit to Party City to pick it up last Saturday).

I think I already told you what we're doing in Antigua and St. Kitts. In Antigua we booked the catamaran snorkel/sail with lunch and in St. Kitts we're doing the railway in the a.m. and then an independent snorkel boat in the afternoon.

Hey Scooter,

No luck with finding my cape. We are probably going to wonder around this weekend and see if we see something that will catch our eyes. If not, guess we will be spectators, watching everyone else in costumes.

Have you been to St. Kitts before? The railway trip sounds like fun, but Louis has a fear that it is too touristy. I believe it is a good way to see the island. Lets see what we decide to do. For Antigua we were thinking of getting a day pass for Pineapple Beach Resort or just go to one of the beaches. As for Coki, its a good idea to try to get a group together because I know how those cabs in St. Thomas are. They make you wait in the cabs until they fill them up. We want to get to Coki as early as possible to get a good spot. Do you know there will be six ships in port when we are there? That island will be a total ZOO!!!

Well time to start some work.

Mike

I'll bet the St. Kitts Railway is very touristy but here's a news flash...we're tourists! I gave up the notion long ago about going native because you land up sticking out lake a sore thumb. Anyhow, to each his own. I've heard it's a lot of fun and that's what I'm going for. St. Thomas will be crowded but that's St. Thomas for you. If the taxi situation gets to get out of hand I know a beautiful, new cruise ship I can get on and spend a relaxing day with hardly anyone by the pools, etc. If you need to find a cape, Party City had a a nice selection and they were mostly under $20. But unfortunately it had a lot of strollers which made that foray pretty unpleasant. But that was the one on 14th Street. I forgot to ask you if you plan to go to any of the alternative restaurants. I'm thinking of doing the grill. We'll have a look at the menus to see if there's any night where the selection looks weak and go then.

Happy Friday Afternoon

Down time here in the office so here I am killing time and fantasizing about the upcoming trip. About being a tourist hey I am the first one there with my camera, Video camera, sandals and tropical shirt doing all that fun stuff they offer to tourist. Louis is another story. I guess since he works in the travel industry he can only take so much of that stuff.

We are going to do the specialty restaurants, maybe both, but we haven't decided which days. It is hard to say because it is not like we know the menu in advance so we can reserve once we get onboard. Being this will be the first cruise for us on Princess, all the menus will be brand new to us so it may make it tough! LOL..I don't know if you told me already but do you have anytime or traditional? We have anytime dining a new experience for us.

We do have our massages already pre-reserved, we will probably do some other spa treatment but will wait until we get onboard and really see what they have to offer since the online reservation site seems to have limited treatments which you can book online.

I looked up the St. Kitts railway online it looks pretty decent, it also has gotten mixed reviews on these boards. Being that this will be the first time in St. Kitts for us, it sounds like a good way to see the island. If not we probably do an island tour just to get the feel of it.

Geez got another hour here..Hopefully some patients will show up soon so it will make the time go by.

We took late traditional seating because we found having the same wait team every day has worked out well and if it doesn't work out we can always request to change to anytime. I think you can see the dinner menus at the specialty restaurants so even though you don't know before boarding you will know when you go to book. I love Princess' menu, by the way. Look for the James Beard specail French toast they serve one day in the dining room for breakfast. It's coated in corn flake crumbs and is excellent. All this talk of food when my tux is a little loose on me, finally!

Scooter,

We are finally in the single digits. Thanks for the tip regarding the breakfast in the dining room. I hope they do it during one of our sea days, I rarely do breakfast in the dining room. I have been on 8 cruises I think i did breakfast in the dining room twice. I booked the Ultimate balcony breakfast also to surprise Louis. I don't know what day it is going to be offered though.

I am glad you also have a tux, since louis is dragging his ass on getting measured and ordering his tux. Is Carlos wearing one?

I didn't find my cape and went out and bought another. I went to the beauty supply store today and got cheap makeup. I need a few more accessories. Louis doesn't like to get dressed up but I do it makes me feel like a kid again. Reading the roll call most of them have costume. It should be fun.

Did u start packing?? I have, the count down has begun!!!

Mike

Start packing? That won't happen til next Thursday evening or even Friday morning. I will gather as much together before. Especially since I need to take along my snorkel equipment. I'm taking 2 suitcases to make sure I don't get charged for exceeding the weight limit. I'll have to do a last minute wash when I get home Thursday night. I did remember to bring the tux to the cleaners today since Thursday is 10% discount and next Thursday would be too late, dontcha think? Carlos doesn't wear a tux. He has no need to own one but he wears beautiful suits so he'll look spiffy. He still doesn't know I have stuff for Halloween for him.

Boy sounds like you have alot of work to do the day before. What time are you guys planning to check in at the port? Are you taking a car service to Red Hook? We always like to be early at the port, and board early. We like to stroll a empty ship before the crowds get on to take pics etc.

I emailed the CD yesterday about setting up a FOD. What ever happened to the others on this boards? No one has really chatted here. It seems to me we are having a private chat. LOL

Hey Guys!

We're here! Sorry, we both have been traveling a lot.

The Crown is great. We just on it during Labor Day and were tossed about due to a hurricane. We even had to miss Bermuda! That was one of the main reasons we did that cruise. Oh well.

We get to NY on Thursday.

Pete & Rolando

Hi guys,

Nice to see you post again. Where are you guys staying while in NYC?

You guys are already pros with regards to the Crown. When you went the first time did they have a FOD gathering on your sailing? Do you have traditional or anytime dining? Which bars the best bars? You got to enlighten us Crown Virgins.

Mike

Hello boys. Peter's other half here (the better half :D )

We have anytime dining but have made arrangements for a fixed table every night around 8:30 with our fav eastern european wait staff (;) ) in the Michaelangelo Dinning room

They did have an FOD party during our Bermuda cruise, in fact they had 2. All the bars are nice, but we specially like the wheelhouse bar for pre dinner cocktails, and Skywalkers to dance/drink the night away (the ship's disco). We have a friend on board who is now a bar supervisor. His name is Marek and he's from Poland (boy...talk about dreamie!!!). We'll have to look for him and see what bar he's working (and I guess that will become our favorite bar).

For those of you who are new to Princess (and like Eastern European boys), you're in for a treat!!! as most of the wait/bar/purser staff is from that part of the world. A feast for the eyes.

During the last cruise we met a couple of the dancers as well. They hang out at the disco after midnight or so. They were fun

Ciao for now

Rolando

Boy sounds like you have alot of work to do the day before. What time are you guys planning to check in at the port? Are you taking a car service to Red Hook? We always like to be early at the port, and board early. We like to stroll a empty ship before the crowds get on to take pics etc.

I emailed the CD yesterday about setting up a FOD. What ever happened to the others on this boards? No one has really chatted here. It seems to me we are having a private chat. LOL

Well, there are worse things. We'll be taking car service; Carlos from Manhattan and me from Queens. I plan on getting there a little before noon. I don't want to go too early and get stuck in traffic or have to sit around in a terminal building but I do like to get on board early. Thanks for requesting the FOD gathering. With 3 days at sea at the beginning there should be time for it.

Hello boys. Peter's other half here (the better half :D )

We have anytime dining but have made arrangements for a fixed table every night around 8:30 with our fav eastern european wait staff (;) ) in the Michaelangelo Dinning room

They did have an FOD party during our Bermuda cruise, in fact they had 2. All the bars are nice, but we specially like the wheelhouse bar for pre dinner cocktails, and Skywalkers to dance/drink the night away (the ship's disco). We have a friend on board who is now a bar supervisor. His name is Marek and he's from Poland (boy...talk about dreamie!!!). We'll have to look for him and see what bar he's working (and I guess that will become our favorite bar).

For those of you who are new to Princess (and like Eastern European boys), you're in for a treat!!! as most of the wait/bar/purser staff is from that part of the world. A feast for the eyes.

During the last cruise we met a couple of the dancers as well. They hang out at the disco after midnight or so. They were fun

Ciao for now

Rolando

Weird with the ways messages have been appearing/not appearing on the boards.....not sure if this came through before

We have anytime dining but have made arrangements for a fixed table every night around 8:30 with our fav eastern european wait staff ( ) in the Michaelangelo Dinning room

How did you do this? Did you make this while on the Crown in Sept or did you call it in? I heard Michaelangelo was the best dining room for anytime dining, do you agree? Did you do Crown grill or Sabatini's? If you did which one is better? Sorry for asking so many questions, we are RCL guys and this is the first time on Princess. We feel like we are going on our first cruise again since it is a different line.

We have anytime dining but have made arrangements for a fixed table every night around 8:30 with our fav eastern european wait staff ( ) in the Michaelangelo Dinning room

How did you do this? Did you make this while on the Crown in Sept or did you call it in? I heard Michaelangelo was the best dining room for anytime dining, do you agree? Did you do Crown grill or Sabatini's? If you did which one is better? Sorry for asking so many questions, we are RCL guys and this is the first time on Princess. We feel like we are going on our first cruise again since it is a different line.

We have a friend who is the Asst Maitre D' on another Princess ship and he always sends an email ahead of time to take care of getting a fabulous table for us at the time we want. The staff always goes out of their way to make us feel special with special dishes every night (not on menu, etc), but they know we always take care of them very well come tip time.

As for specialty restaurants on the Crown, we went to both, and recommend both. The Crown Grill is absolutely delightful......word of caution here...stay away from the Brazilian lobster unless you like very salty stuff. There are other lobsters on menu that are very good. The side dishes are all wonderful here, and the decor of the restaurant is very nice. Sabatinis has been relocated to the top/back of the ship on the Crown, with a great view of the wake, and also has a piano bar now. You can have a pre dinner beverage or choose to have your server bring your after dinner sweets to the piano bar to enjoy while listening to music. Food is incredible. Many courses so make sure you are hungry when you go.

Try to make reservations early on the cruise (you can make them right after embarkation), as the best times/dates tend to book quickly.

Let me know of any other questions. This is our 17th cruise on Princess so glad to give you any tips.

Cheers!!

Rolando

Archived