Choosing a Travel Agent

rfbdorf

How to find a travel agent who actually knows something about travel for someone who is wheelchair bound, that is, who can't manage "just stand up for a second and we'll help you climb that step?" Who knows how to find out whether a ship will dock or transport will be via tender (is that known ahead of time?)? And all those problems which a disabled cruiser who must stay in her power chair must face?

- Richard

I know they should know on the tender or not long before the ship goes. Now some ports may be tendered evenif not said if tooooo many come in on one day, this isnt known ahead what one will tender and who wont untill closer to arrival there. Im not sure if there are agents who do just disabled people or not. When I was a TA a few years back I had not seen agency lists of those, only a few companies that did trips just for disabled people as the main ones on a trip. There were very few of those then and I dont know now on that. Hope someone has delt with one and can tell you.

To be honest, we've tried a couple of TA's that "specialize" in wheelchair accessible travel and were unimpressed. I think the best thing you can do is find a good TA that you can explain your exact needs to. We currently use a regular TA but we have explained the needs and limitations to her and she now knows what to look for. In addition, you need to research and verify information (like on Cruise Critic) and ask questions of your fellow cruisers, like you're doing now.

Even if a ship is scheduled to dock, they may end up tendering for a variety of reasons and so there is no guarantee. If you can use a manual chair, tendering is very doable. My wife (who is a paraplegic) has had no problems tendering in her manual wheelchair. However, I don't think it's feasible in a power chair.

There are TAs that specialize in accessible travel. You can find them by doing a search on the web, advertising in magazines targeted at the HC and at EXPOs.

However, like glennjudy1, we were not been impressed so I started making my own plans and have found that my own research in combination with advice from others on this board provides me with more accurate information than I received from any TA.

I find that I know more than most travel agents. Sad but true. :eek: If I have a question I research it and get my own answers. I make my own plans for myself and my handicapped Mom. From air, transfers, hotels, cruises, excursions etc. I don't make mistakes and I give myself wonderful customer service. :D Only bad thing is I don't make a commission.

Linda

I also find I get the best results when I do the work. My husband is a quadraplegic, but only uses his manual chair when travelling. I make all the phone calls to confirm everything! The TA we used for our 1st cruise booked us into an non-handicapped room eventhough we were in her office together, see could see my husband disability, and we specifically told her we needed a handicap room. Got it changed before we boarded by dealing with cruise company themselves. Ask questions here and then do your homework. good luck.

Eleanor

There are TAs that specialize in accessible travel. You can find them by doing a search on the web, advertising in magazines targeted at the HC and at EXPOs.

However, like glennjudy1, we were not been impressed so I started making my own plans and have found that my own research in combination with advice from others on this board provides me with more accurate information than I received from any TA.

Dale,

For our upcoming trip I've booked directly with the cruise line. This is the first time I haven't used a travel agent. Am beginning to feel stressed with all the details of a transatlantic trip. Is it possible to transfer the booking to my previous travel agent? Just wondering.

Dee

sAT DOWN THIS MORNING and figured out the travel insurance, thanks to this board, and got better coverage than the cruise line offered, included was a pre-exisiting waiver and 1 million dollars for evacuation. Best of all the traveguard policy is the primary payer.

Thanks you cruise critic members who take the time to share your experiences.

Now I can relax and get into the fun part which is planning.

I know it is hard to find a travel agent who understands.

I do know that the one I use does since he has traveled with me and my husband at least 7 of our cruises. He totally understands the need for the handicap room plus knowing in advance if we are going to dock or tender.

He also will NOT ever book a AB person into a handicap room. This is his set policy.

Deb

We have an excellent travel agent who truly does understand and asked questions even I had not thought about.

Now that we have cruised once we also know more about what to ask and we are using her again for our next cruise.

Yes, I might be able to do it myself, but with a full time job both outside the home and at home I am very happy to have someone who does it for us.

• 1 month later...

Umbarger: I know exactly what you're saying. I do a lot of the investigation on prices, ships, destinations, etc. Then I call the TA and tell her/him exactly what I want and how I want it.

***And, I use a handicapped room for myself/husband/service dog. I am not in a wheelchair, I am mobil, my husband & myself need the bathroom bars/seats and lifts off the toilet. The larger room serves the two of us and my 70 lb Labrador much better than a regulation size cabin. I am hearing impaired with MS and travel everywhere with my hearing assistance dog. My disability is covered by the ADA as is my service dog!

Not everyone who uses the HC cabins needs them for the "room" for a wheelchair and sometimes we don't even "look" like we have a handicap!

Just like human beings, handicapped people come in different shapes/sizes/needs and handicaps!

People look at me and have no clue why I have a service dog. They can see that I'm not blind, I look very able bodied. They assume I'm training her. Sometimes it's just easier to say that I am and let it go!

Be careful what you assume! ;)

Roz

Archived