From Port to Rome, Naples,Florence etc

Well we are finally getting close to our cruise on Royal Carribean.

In a nutshell, can someone tell me the fastest way to get from the port to Rome, Naples, Pisa, Villefranche & Marseille? We are going to attempt all tours on our own. Has anyone heard of Walking Tour of Rome?

Thanks

fran

Go out of the port area (there may be a free shuttle from ship to the gate), turn right and walk about 5 blocks to the train station.
Buy a round trip EUROSTAR (not 1st class)ticket (not very expensive). Beautiful train, smooth ride, about 1 hour to Rome. Train ticket is good for metro and busses as well. You might want to start at the Coloseum, then the Forum, then Capitoline hill.
Get a Rick Steves' book: Rome 2004. It's GREAT!
Ciao!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=32CD32&cdt=2004;04;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Fran,
The ship docks in Naples, so you can walk into the city. The train will take you to Sorento, Pompeii and Herculaneum or take the hydrofoil to Capri from right next to where the ship docks.
You can also take the train into Florence and/or Pisa.
The ship usually tenders into Villefranch and the train station on the promenade (couple of hundred yards) will take you to Nice and Monte Carlo / Monaco.
I cannot comment on the others as we havn't visited them.

See info I posted a while ago on Rome. Marseille is tough to do on your own. The port is a long ways from civilization, even though it looks close to a metro station when you see it on a map. We took a cab to the train station to go to Avignon, but it wasn't cheap (I'm thinking around 20E, but not sure). An alternative is to take a cab to the Joliette metro station and then take the subway to the train station. Do NOT walk - unless you're very willing to walk, and walk, and walk. Don't take the metro to the Bouganvielle station (spelling is wrong, but....) - not a great part of town, and very limited taxis there.

Archived