Anchorage or Fairbanks?

Vols Cruiser

I am looking to cruise Northbound and take a 3-5 day cruise tour. What is a better final destination - Fairbanks or Anchorage? I was specifically thinking about things to do and airline issues (flight availability and pricing). Any thoughts?

The Fairbanks tours, need less transit time, but usually have little time in Fairbanks for any extra touring. Most important is to consider going for as long as possible, I never recommend anything less than 5 days.

Do your homework and look specifically at tours you are interested in. There is plenty that you probably don't realize- distances are vast, shorter tours have way too much time in transit and little at destinations. As an example- if going by rail- it is 8 hours Anchorage to Denali Park, by bus about 6 with stops. So if you only have one night in Denali Park and going by train, there isn't much you are going to be able to do with your arrival at 4pm then leaving the next day.

Denali Park is your highlight- I never recommend the Natural History tour- a complete waste of time. Be certain on any cruise tour you purchase to have the Tundra Wilderness tour included. I think I can safely assume you are going to Alaska to see scenery and wildlife??? This is your only option.

All meals are extra, unless specified, budget 50% more than you would at home for a cushion.

The more you know the better your choice will be for your touring priorities.

I have been looking at flight options for next summer based on this summer's American Airlines (and partner airline) flights. We will have a rental car, so driving from Denali to Fairbanks is about half the distance of driving back to Anchorage. On the other hand, airline connections out of Fairbanks aren't as convenient or frequent as out of Anchorage, and car rental costs are higher for a drop-off in Fairbanks than for pick-up/drop-off in Anchorage. Airfare isn't a consideration for us because we will use frequent-flyer miles.

We rented a car at the end of our first Alaska cruise in Anchorage. We drove to Talkeenta, Denali, and Fairbanks. We loved the museum at the University in Fairbanks, but other than that would probably not visit again. We enjoyed Anchorage much more. Downtown area had plentry to see and do.

Archived