Setting up a "Meet & Greet" on HAL is easy and worth it!

"Coffee, tea, water and cookies" doesn't do much for me.

With a couple of quick emails to the right people, I'd lined up champagne and snacks for our "gang" on Royal Olympia and Princess.

We had delightful meet/greets and have cruised together since.

I don't get the attraction of a "dry" get-together. You can get that stuff on your own, can't you? :confused:

On my last cruise, Hal provided cocktails, "on the house". It was VERY NICE.

Coffee, tea, and cookies doesn't do it for me either. ;)

I have ressurected this post as I need some advice. ...My dilemma is will HAL tell me where the meeting is to be held or do I just select an area on board the ship.

Jennie, when I've made the arrangements I've always picked the place based on the desires/size of the group, then let HAL know what we wanted. It's always worked well that way.

I kept copies of all the correspondence, and brought it with me to the ship. Then, after boarding, I've reconfirmed the arrangements with the Bar Manager. (It's amazing how much information doesn't make it aboard sometimes.)

Good luck, and have fun! :)

Thanks everyone for your help. I will do as you say Ruth and bring along copies of my correspondence with both Karla and Krystal. We may have to wait until we board before we know what room we are assigned.

I will ask our Roll Call for their cabin numbers further down the track and then I can ring them with the name of the room that HAL provides us with. I was just worrying a bit due to the fact that I live so far away and can only get in touch with HAL by email or fax.

Jennie

We will be sailing to Alaska on the Westerdam in September (we depart on a Sunday and Monday is a sea day). If one of you veteran CCer's were to organize a meet & greet, what day and time would be you first choice to schedule it?

We have about 40 folks (posters and traveling companions) that have signed onto our Westerdam sail thread. About half of the posters just posted once, and we haven't heard from them since. I'm hoping if a CC get-together is organized that everyone will come (although I do know that that is unlikely). Do most folks show up if they say they will?

I enjoy reading the different meet & greet stories. Can anyone else share their meet & greet experience? Either as an organizer, or participant? I loved the story about the Groucho glasses. Any other icebreakers?

Did anyone ask if HAL would provide a House wine along with coffee, tea etc (assuming the meet & greet wasn't in the morning;) ). Does anyone know who the Westerdam coordinator for scheduling is?

Thanks!

Ferry Watcher

Ferry Watcher, I would suggest you ask on the Roll-Call when people want the meeting; you will get the best response that way.

If I were one of them I would suggest Monday, late morning. Folks should be more relaxed than the first day, just getting into the groove, and be getting used to time zone differences.

Once there's response from the thread you will have a good idea of how many will attend. In my experience, if people say they're coming they do tend to come.

What you're looking for is a consensus on day/time. Then approach Seattle to make the arrangements. Have an idea in your mind what room you want (maybe the Crow's Nest?) and ask for that; if it's a large room, specify an area. Ask for a sign, and for the area to be roped off.

Bring your correspondence with you, and re-confirm with the Bar Manager once you board.

Get everyone's name and cabin #. Sometimes you have to make changes at the last minute and it's nice to be able to let everyone know.

my credentials: I've made the arrangements for three round-trip cruises to Europe; each cruise was two segments. I learned a little more with each passing cruise.

Please remember that the "normal" public rooms are not the only places meet and greets can be held. Each ship has several conference rooms that are specifically for this purpose. On the Zuiderdam they are

• Half Moon Room
  • Hudson Room
  • Stuyvesant Room

and are like hotel conference rooms. They can be combined to various sizes by opening the interior doors. Our meet and greet was held in the Stuyvesant Room and that had plenty of room for our group of 20. These are on the Promenade deck. There is also a large area on the Lower Promenade deck which could be used. It is not named on the deck plan, but it is next to the Explorers Lounge.

Hope this helps

Rich

We will be sailing to Alaska on the Westerdam in September (we depart on a Sunday and Monday is a sea day). If one of you veteran CCer's were to organize a meet & greet, what day and time would be you first choice to schedule it?

We have about 40 folks (posters and traveling companions) that have signed onto our Westerdam sail thread. About half of the posters just posted once, and we haven't heard from them since. I'm hoping if a CC get-together is organized that everyone will come (although I do know that that is unlikely). Do most folks show up if they say they will?

I enjoy reading the different meet & greet stories. Can anyone else share their meet & greet experience? Either as an organizer, or participant? I loved the story about the Groucho glasses. Any other icebreakers?

Did anyone ask if HAL would provide a House wine along with coffee, tea etc (assuming the meet & greet wasn't in the morning;) ). Does anyone know who the Westerdam coordinator for scheduling is?

Thanks!

Ferry Watcher

I first of all emailed Karin at KCamp@HollandAmerica.com Karin is the Ships Services Co-ordiantor. She then sent me a copy of the form which I filled in stating how many guests we were expecting, time, date etc. On the form it mentions that HAL will provide coffee, tea, water, cookies if needed. No mention of alcholol being provided. Karin asked me to send it back to Krystal Dingman who is the Group Co-ordinator for the Veendam. Now I am just waiting on hearing back from her or finding out where we will be holding our meeting when we board. Fax numbers are: 800 207 3547 and 206 508 8518.

As we are on a 34 day cruise, we are having two get togethers in the first week, one to meet up with everyone boarding in Vancouver and Seattle and the second one for those who are boarding in Los Angeles. After those two meetings we will play it by "ear" and see if we want to get together again.

By the way, when we had our get together on the Regal Princess in January, I took provided the name tags with the names already printed on them. It was a great help to know whom we were talking to. :)

Hope this helps a little.

Jennie

Archived