Laptops through Security Check

Cyber Kat

I've never had a reason to take my laptop on a curise before, but I just got a digital camera and I was considering bringing it along so I can off load my pictures. Have any of you brought a laptop? If so, will they let you get it hand checked or do they insist on putting it through the luggage X-ray.

I've taken it through airports (but not since 9/11) and have always had it hand checked. All the files are copies of my desktop, but I'd hate to have to reload all the software if it got zapped.

We're sailing 6/5 on the Legend out of NYC - Can't wait - I'm psyched!

Airport x-ray equipment will not do any damage to your laptop. When you go through security you will be asked to take your laptop out of the cae and place it in the tub. Then send it through the scanner while in the tub and the cae through separate. When you get to the ship all you have to do is send everything together right through the scanner.

I have never had a problem carrying my laptop on board. I take it so I can download my pictures daily too. If I have time I can add comments as we sail; my memory isn't what it use to be!

My laptop goes through airport security 2-4 time a week. Never a problem. Except in Lincoln, NE where the TSA screeners were fascinated by my bag-o-cables. :rolleyes:

Given the dramatically low price of memory cards, I would never even consider schlepping it along on vacation.

My laptop goes through airport security 2-4 time a week. Never a problem. Except in Lincoln, NE where the TSA screeners were fascinated by my bag-o-cables. :rolleyes:

Given the dramatically low price of memory cards, I would never even consider schlepping it along on vacation.

Start shooting RAW and getting less than 100 pics per GB CF card, cards get real expensive real quick

Start shooting RAW and getting less than 100 pics per GB CF card, cards get real expensive real quick

...at $50/gig v. $2500 for my personal laptop, I will buy the CF cards...

Took my laptop on our cruise last Feb. and had no issues. It was nice to download pics and then on the flight home, organized and named pic files (esp. before we forgot people's names, etc.), which was a great diversion flying home, especially when we knew it would be cold back home and could enjoy the great WARM memories of our cruise for a little longer before we hit COLD reality. :D

I've never had a reason to take my laptop on a curise before, but I just got a digital camera and I was considering bringing it along so I can off load my pictures. Have any of you brought a laptop? If so, will they let you get it hand checked or do they insist on putting it through the luggage X-ray.

I've taken it through airports (but not since 9/11) and have always had it hand checked. All the files are copies of my desktop, but I'd hate to have to reload all the software if it got zapped.

We're sailing 6/5 on the Legend out of NYC - Can't wait - I'm psyched!

Had ours with us as well.. no problems thru the checks... depending where you are they will ask you to remove it from the carry case

Thanks everyone! Still haven't decided whether to lug it. I do plan to get a couple more memory cards (Circuit City has 512 mg ones on sale for $14.99), but I am considering taking the laptop. Glad to hear that no one has had trouble with the scanners. I'm guessing that they have improved the technology.

I line in NJ, so I'm not flying in - no security check on the ferry ;).

Question for MikeG - what's the advantage of using the RAW format? I'm new to digital photography. I do a lot of graphics work, so I'm familiar with .gif, .jpg and .bmp. Do you get clearer pics with RAW? I'm also taking a film camera, because I'm not always happy with the quality of pics I've seen coming from digitals.

I always take my laptop on vacation - I just love downloading the pictures at night and re-living the day! I also bring a few CDs and burn copies of my pictures for people that we are traveling with. Although I bring it mainly for the photos, there are many other bonus's too - hubby can relax with a game of solitare while I get ready for dinner, and I can e-mail from my laptop. When you are paying 75 cents a minute to e-mail, having a laptop is wonderful because you can go to the internet cafe onboard and check your e-mails then disconnect. Then at your leisure you can answer e-mails and or set up new e-mail messages (complete with pictures of you enjoying your cruise, of course! :D ) and then just go the internet cafe onboard to "send" them. Saves you a ton of minutes and money! Another bonus is that you can bring some DVD's to watch during the down times or while waiting at the airport or on the airplane. (We usually buy a few new ones and bring a few old favorites just in case!) You can also bring CD's to listen to in your room if you like.

I may be crazy, but I don't go anywhere without my little laptop! :p

I'm with you on this. I too shoot RAW and having my iBook to manipulate the images after the dive is a great form of recreation, for me at least.

Question for MikeG - what's the advantage of using the RAW format? I'm new to digital photography. I do a lot of graphics work, so I'm familiar with .gif, .jpg and .bmp. Do you get clearer pics with RAW? I'm also taking a film camera, because I'm not always happy with the quality of pics I've seen coming from digitals.

RAW is all of the data from the sensor, full color gamut, up to 3 stops (about 1.5 up and down) of exposure, it gives you the ability to end up with a much better image in the long run, but also takes work after you're done taking the picture. It will need color corrected, hue and saturation, sharpening, and contrast work as the camera no longer does this for you. The biggest plus to shooting in RAW is the first Oh WoW shot you save that would have been trash if it were shot in .jpg

Archived