Hawaii Info

Giantfan13

Can some of you offer some help here. We just booked an Aug 28 cruise on the POH. It was a late booking, and we really haven't done much research into Hawaii. I don't want to be repititious, but can some one please answer some easy questions.

We are going to stay in Honolulu for 4 days before our cruise. What is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel??. I am not sure if we will be renting a car, probably not, so do we taxi, or is there a shuttle etc??

If we don't rent, is getting around fairly easy if we just want to do most of the major sites??

We are staying at a more 'budget conscience' hotel, what is the best way to get to the ship--taxi???

We haven't booked any excursions yet, but is it best to do it with NCL or can you recommend any good tour operators that we can contact in any of our ports of call, like maui etc????

Our flight leaves at 4:30 on the day we disembark, do we go right to the airport and wait there. Can we check in early and leave our bags and wander around until we are due to leave??. Is there anywhere to keep our luggage until we do leave, and how should we get to the airport??> Does NCL offer transfers right to the airport??

Sorry if these are silly questions, and I'm sure they have probably been covered already, but I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

We are from Long Island and are so looking forward to this cruise and being in Hawaii.

Thanks

We are going to use Roberts shuttle service from the airport to our hotel

on Waikiki: http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/hnl/hnl_ground_trans.htm

We will be using The Bus or the Trolley for sight-seeing the two days we

will be there before our PoAm cruise begins. We are planning to take a

taxi to the pier for embarkation unless someone knows a better way! I

read that the city Buses do not allow luggage so I don't know of any other

option BESIDES a taxi! Hope this helps!

We are renting cars in all the ports and doing our own exploring, except Kona where we are taking the ship sponsored Captain Zodiak Tour. We also have a sightseeing flight pre-booked in Kauaii.

On our return to Oahu we will rent a car for the day because our flight does not leave until 10:15 pm. We are doing our own circle tour of Oahu that day. All our car rentals are through Thrifty.com and we joined the Blue Chp program (free) for no waiting at the rental places. All the ports have Thrifty shuttles to take you from the port to where the rental cars are and then back to the boat when you drop off the car.

Check with your hotel (just phone them) if there is a "free" shuttle, if they say no, ask them what's the best way to get there- and also to the ship. They know where they are located better than anyone else. If you check around on these past postings, you will find that you can get around without a car, but most people get the rental, it's just simpler. Hawaii is the USA, and renting isn't a big deal/problem. If you do rent, then you need to get from the rental (airport?) to the ship. People reading here with more experience, Help him out on this.

Read these boards also for private or ship-sponsored excursions. If you start to know what you like, then ask more questions about that. We don't know if you want to snorkel/golf/sightsee/luau/etc. Most people recommend things for each island, read their older posts here. Then refine your excursion questions.

NCL can arrange transport right to the airport or you can book an excursion that will carry your luggage on a tour and drop you at the airport, or you can do things on your own (again, read the boards, many luggage questions) I think you could check in a little early and walk out again, ask the airline. Your plane doesn't leave all that late. I might be nervous going off on my own unless it was an evening flight, or I stayed within an hour of the airport. People here will argue with me on that, but I would feel safer with a ship-excursion with an airport drop-off, but that's me.

A lot of airlines don't let you check in luggage for your flight more than 3 hours in advance. May not be the case for your airline but I'd check with them to find out if you can check luggage in early in the day and come back later for that 4 PM flight.

Getting from the rental locations at the airport to the pier is probably best done through taxi.

Spleen

Thank you all for your great suggestions and info. We are flying American airlines both ways. I will check with them as to checking luggage.

As for what we like, we are both seniors and we aren't really beach people. We do like to hike, see the sights and browse stores. We defiantely must do Pearl Harbor. I've read that you must get there early to secure tickets. When are they usually exhausted by???. If we get there by 10:00 is that too late?. I have a very good friend who served on the Missouri and was on the ship at the time of the Japenese surrender. I must see that also.

We heard that there is a nice hike up to Diamond Head. Is it very hot at mid day, so we might think of not doing it then.

And what would be the 'best' luau to attend??

Again, thanks to all those who have tried to help us. There is so much to learn and a short time to try and do it in.

Happy Holiday to all.

10 AM is pushing it. There have been reports of tickets being gone by 11:30 AM - and this would be for a 3-4 pm tender, probably, at that point. If you take your time exploring the Missouri, the Arizona, and the Bowfin, you could theoretically be there the whole day.

The Diamond Head hike does get a lot hotter as the day goes on. Also, there's the infamous 99 step staircase towards the top - depending on your physical condition, this might be something to skip. I generally recommend that you be in reasonable physical shape as well as doing it as early as possible to avoid heat and baking in the sun.

Spleen

Archived