Handicap San Deigo

SRAFROG

We will be sailing on Monarch of the Seas in August and I'am in a wheelchair/Rascal scooter. Will I beable to get off the ship, I know they don't have any elevators and will there be any Vans for hire in San Deigo for handicap people???

Dennis

Assuming it is the same pier we left from in San Diego, you should not have any difficulty getting off there. My husband can transfer to a car so we did not need an accessible van, but it should not be an issue given that you will be in the US. I would do a web search and/or contact San Diego's tourist board,

We will be sailing on Monarch of the Seas in August and I'am in a wheelchair/Rascal scooter. Will I beable to get off the ship, I know they don't have any elevators and will there be any Vans for hire in San Deigo for handicap people???

Dennis

We were on the Carnival Spirit in Jan 06 leaving from San Diego. If you use the same dock that we were at, there is an elevator adjacent to the stair/ramp area. My brother in law is disabled and then took him in a wheelchair up the elevator and we just met them at the top of the ramp (they would of allowed us to use the elevator too, but we chose to walk up since we were capable and there were a number that needed the elevator).

Hope you find some answers from individuals who have been on the same ship as you are going on.

There are two locations on the cruise ship pier in San Diego. On the north side you are along side the regular cruise ship terminal. There is second floor access to the ship, and an elevator there for those with mobility impairments.

If your ship is on the south side of that pier, there is a portable elevator that is used, but it is broken much of the time. If this is the case, they will rig up a VERY steep ramp. Be prepared...it was almost a 45 degree angle the last time we used it. Be sure to get help from your companions (the ship's crews are usually useless in this).

There are no wheelchair accessible cabs in San Diego. You can take nearly all the city buses, and it is easy to get to the Zoo from the pier on the city bus (it takes about 25 minutes). You can also book the San Diego Old Town Trolley (private on/off tour) 24 hours in advance and get picked up at the pier. The San Diego Trolley (public transit) is about 2 blocks from the pier and is accessible (lift on one car for each train). You can take this to the Gaslamp, Old Town, or Little Italy. It does not go to Sea World, the Zoo or Balboa Park though.

The Zoo is a good option for a day stop. You pay full admission, but an "attendant" gets in free (even if you are totally independent). Take the accessible bus tour (additonal $5/person unless you get the combination package). You cannot take the Skyfari (it is not accessible). When you finish the tour, let the employee know you need the wheelchair shuttle. They will drive you to any exhibits you want to see (you and your party) and come to pick you up and take you to any other areas. You just need to contact a Zoo employee and they will walkie-talkie the van for you. Lots of the Zoo is very steep and hilly, and wheelchairs will not fit on the moving sidewalks that take you from the deepest canyons.

The rest of Balboa park is pretty level, so if you also have time to see any of the museums there there is lots to do within walking distance of the Zoo.

There is also good information on San Diego access here:

http://www.accessandiego.org/

Cloud 9 Shuttle has lift vans for shuttle service. Our group of four had a rental van with lift, but I don't know the company, the other couple arranged that. I believe he found it online.

Cloud 9 is the way to go for airport to cruise ship or cruise ship to airport, but they don't have rentals for touring. There are companies that do this (Wheelchair Getaways among others) but they are expensive, and there can be a significant drop off/pick up charge.

Archived