Legend Delay / Status of Liberty

Due to the sad and unfortunate incodent on the Legend we are going to be stuck in NY for a good part of the day.

We tried rescheduling our Limo but the latest they can pick us up is 3:00OM which will put us in New York aroun 5pm.

We will have our two kids (one is 12 and the other is 3) with us plus 7 large suitcases and will be getting dropped off at the Pier.

Is there anyplace we can SECURELY store our luggage at the Pier?

We would like to go and see the Statue of Liberty and are not even sure if that is possible, can someone from NY who knows the NY Pier help us with some advice on what to do.

Thank you!

Yes, you can take a cab to Battery Park (downtown NYC) to see the Statue of Liberty. I think the lines to actually go in are 2 to 3 hours long though - especially this busy holiday weekend. You may have to see from afar.

I'm sure the porters will be there to take your bags as usual. Remember alot of people had already left for NY and won't receive the message and don't read CC. Many many passengers will have no idea until they get to the pier.

I'm sure the porters will be there to take your bags as usual. Remember alot of people had already left for NY and won't receive the message and don't read CC. Many many passengers will have no idea until they get to the pier.

After reading the OP's posts on another thread I was not going to say anything, but as a really disinterested person in this particular case, I suspect that the porters will be taking luggage as usual starting at the normal time. There are probably a lot of people flying in that cannot make changes in their plans so they will be at the pier at 11 or so. If the porters are taking bags then ( and I bet they are) you can leave your bags and go wander the city. Yes, you will have your carry ons but there are worse things than having your carry on with you for the day.

It is also Fleet week with all the Naval ships down near the South Street Sea port. There are a lot of shops and restaurants down there to.

This is another possibility to keep your family busy.

Looks like the earlier thread was closed, maybe because the responses degenerated into a battle between those with the view that people who jump off cruise ships are the most selfish form of life on the planet and those who think any expressions other than sympathy are inappropriate.

We had a thread recently about a similar situation on another ship, and hashed it out pretty thoroughly. I'd say maybe 30 % wanted to slap the jumper, 30 % wanted to name the next ship after them as a gesture of sympathy, and the remaining 40 % were in the "oh well, it happens" camp.

I guess there is a parallel between this Legend delay and a wreck on the highway that makes you sit trapped in traffic, and robs time out of your day. It was probably caused by some careless person, but once it happens, what can you do? You can be angry but that won't help. You can drive safely but that won't make other drivers do so. It's just part of life. Cruises can, and often are, affected by weather and other unpredictable events. You just have to accept that and look forward to the good times.

Jeff, it seems a passenger jumped from his balcony (seen by his wife and children), and there was a search and rescue mission, w/Coast Guard and others involved. Don't know much more. Legend will be late leaving for the next cruise...such a tragedy for that family.

I wonder why there has been no coverage of this story by the local media in NYC. You know that there will be many reporters at the pier to greet the ship when it arrives but so far it seems that someone has kept the story from the press.

I bought the Sunday NY Daily News and NY Post and there is no mention of the incident or the ship's delayed arrival?

I also find it interesting that there are apparently no cruise critic members doing that posting live from the Legend stuff?

If the news media doesn't get this story, I will not be surprised....Carnival certainly doesn't want this made public which is an outrage!! I posted a thread last night when I found out, that I hoped this wouldn't be covered up, but there you go....nothing on the news at all!!!! It makes me feel that this goes on all the time and we never hear about it. GEORGE SMITH is the exception to the rule, probably because they had the money and power to get it out there......I am going on the Legend later today. I am sure that this will be a somber, a sad cruise for some.....I will certainly feel the energy of this incident on this cruise....Will let you know.

Unless the cruiseline sets up some sort of special service, there is no place in the terminal where you can safely stow your luggage. There are no locked areas.

The cruiseline may decide to offer this as a service to you given the extraordinary circumstances. You may also want to ask for this assistance.

The cruise ship terminal is right next to the Intrepid Air/Space museum which makes for an interesting diversion. You can even walk through the Concorde. That's the closest thing to the cruise ship terminal. Times Square area and Broadway are 5 very long blocks away and you walk through not-the-best area to get there.

I posted a thread last night when I found out, that I hoped this wouldn't be covered up, but there you go....nothing on the news at all!!!! It makes me feel that this goes on all the time and we never hear about it.

Yes of course it happens all the time. People commit suicide and die from accidents everyday all over the country. It rarely makes the news. :rolleyes:

Jeff, it seems a passenger jumped from his balcony (seen by his wife and children), and there was a search and rescue mission, w/Coast Guard and others involved. Don't know much more. Legend will be late leaving for the next cruise...such a tragedy for that family.

Thx Cottton

Guest YesitDonna

I can't say as though Carnival is trying to cover it up. It is posted on their website for anyone to see. I don't think if it happened anywhere that the place it happened should go out of their way to make it public, for the families sake.

I wonder why there has been no coverage of this story by the local media in NYC. You know that there will be many reporters at the pier to greet the ship when it arrives but so far it seems that someone has kept the story from the press.

I bought the Sunday NY Daily News and NY Post and there is no mention of the incident or the ship's delayed arrival?

I also find it interesting that there are apparently no cruise critic members doing that posting live from the Legend stuff?

Scott, haven't been to NYC in years so no help here.

Mark, what are they going to report? All they might know is from what is posted on the Carnival site and what is being reported on internet sites like this. They have no confirmation from anyone in authority. Few reports have come through from passengers now on the ship and I suspect that the crew are not making the details public beyond announcing that they had a man go overboard and were making a search. The details will come out after the ship returns to port.

If the news media doesn't get this story, I will not be surprised....Carnival certainly doesn't want this made public which is an outrage!! I posted a thread last night when I found out, that I hoped this wouldn't be covered up, but there you go....nothing on the news at all!!!! It makes me feel that this goes on all the time and we never hear about it. GEORGE SMITH is the exception to the rule, probably because they had the money and power to get it out there......I am going on the Legend later today. I am sure that this will be a somber, a sad cruise for some.....I will certainly feel the energy of this incident on this cruise....Will let you know.

Well, it is probably a right wing conspiracy cooked up by some sort of political radicals against the wicked devils.....

This is what was posted on the Carnival site -

Carnival Legend - Sailing May 28, 2006 Sailing Update: May 27, 2006 – 3:00 PM

The Carnival Legend was involved in a lengthy search and rescue operation on the current cruise. Due to this situation, the ship will be delayed returning to New York on May 28, 2006, with arrival now estimated at 7:00 PM.

We request that guests sailing on the May 28 cruise plan to arrive at the terminal for embarkation after 8:00 PM. There is very limited space, seating and services available in the terminal.

We are anticipating that the departure time from New York will be delayed until midnight or after. Due to this departure delay, we are planning a modified itinerary as follows:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sun. New York 12:00 Midnight or after

Mon. At Sea --- ---

Tue. At Sea --- ---

Wed. Grand Turk 12:00 noon 6:00 PM

Thur. San Juan 1:00 PM 12:00 Midnight

Fri. St. Thomas 7:00 AM 2:00 PM

Sat. At Sea

Sun. At Sea

Mon. New York 9:00 AM

Grand Turk is Carnival’s brand new port of call in the beautiful Turks and Caicos Islands. It features spectacular beaches, myriad watersports, a huge swimming pool and a variety of interesting excursions.

We sincerely apologize for this embarkation delay. The entire Carnival team will do everything possible to minimize this inconvenience and provide our guests with a great cruise experience.

Sorry - can't help with the suitcase storage problem.

However, if you can find a place to park your luggage, it's a beautiful day for a walk in New York! It's 84 degrees with NO humidity (a surprise for NYC!:) ), so take a walk along the pier area, check out the Intrepid if you can, just enjoy New York! Also, if you're up for the cab ride, Chelsea Piers is at 23rd Street and the West Side Highway, and they have all kinds of sports activities to engage in! (They also film Law and Order and Law and Order SVU there, but it's not open to the public. :( )

And don't forget to stop and say a prayer for the family of the man who went overboard - I'm sure they could use the prayers.

Archived