Lightweight, rain and wind resistant jacket for Alaska

Gingee

I am not sure whether to post on this thread or clothing. I have bought a lightweight rain and wind resistant jacket for my June 9th cruise. I am thinking of either a sweatshirt type shirt or long sleeve shirt to wear underneath if necessary. Do you think I need a warmer coat for Alaska?

Thanks for the tips. We're sailing Sept. 10. I really don't want to pack a rain jacket if I don't have to as we both have light-weight jackets with hoods we've traveled with to Europe, Caribbean and Mex. Riviera for years.

Will layer clothing with T-shirts, sweatshirts and jackets. MIL has already supplied us with light-weight rain coats, mufflers and gloves she and FIL used on their Alaskan cruise years ago.

Dianne

We are leaving on our cruise June 4th...so, a light weight jacket that is waterproof, t-shirt or turtleneck, and sweatshirt are ok for the weather at the glacier in early June, too? What is the average temperature during the glacier cruising? Thanks for all the great info.

Just returned from cruising RT Vancouver Inside Passage May17-24 and visited Tracy Arm, Glacier Bay, and Misty Fjords. The THREE BEST pieces of clothing I had were my earmuffs, long underwear and my Ugg boots! I tend to be colder than most people! I don't like wearing hats, but the earmuffs were just perfect. If it's sunny and there is no wind it is just wonderful and you can take off layers. However, if it's windy (and it almost always is when the ship is moving), you'll be glad you have whatever you need to be warm. Of course, that's assuming you want to view the sights from outside on the decks. Many of our group of 16 stayed inside most of the time. I like to be outside. Be prepared for rain - we didn't have a drop in any port on this trip, but on previous trips we had LOTS! Enjoy - Alaska is a magical place!

We're leaving for Alaska on June 24th and, based on the info from these boards, I went out and purchased a lightweight, waterproof winderbreaker-type jacket and plan to wear it with a fleece jacket underneath as well as additional layers as needed. We are planning an excursion which lands us on a glacier. Will the lightweight jacket with layers be sufficient to keep me warm while on the block of ice or do I need to think about taking a warmer jacket as well?

We just got in yesterday On Oosterdam. Just a quick rundown on our different stops.

Seattle was rainy and slightly cool.

Juneau was 74 degrees and beautiful, but we went on a whale watching boat and the wind on deck of a moving boat was cold. I had a windsuit, turtleneck and short sleeve shirt. Back in town the layers came off.

Hubbard Glacier was extremely cold and very windy. Naturally to get the best pictures you had to brave the outdoors. I had on a turtleneck, heavy windsuit, coat, gloves, and muffler and still was cold because of the wind.

Sitka was a little cool early but warmed up. It turned into a beautiful sunny day.

Ketchikan rained the entire time. It wasn't that cold but if you plan an excursion you may want one that is covered:floatplane, duck tour ect.

Victoria, BC started raining one hour or so after docking. It was cool but after our clothes got damp I got cold and told hubby I was ready to go back to ship. Also you get there late and not long after it turns dark and I personally get uneasy being in a area at night that I am not familier with. Call me a whimp, I guess that is just a part of me getting older. My husband hates that.

Missygirl

Thanks. I really like the coat and got it half off at Shopko. It is lime green and white. I wouldn't wear it where I work (a preschool that we go on a dirty playground with kids) but I thought this would be the right place. It does have a good also.

Archived