cost of tours in Pompeii

I'm told that if you get to Pompeii on your own you have two choices of tours an audioguide or to join a guided tour formed inside the gate. People I've talked to have good things to say about both. Does anyone know the price of these? Thanks

We were just in Pompeii 2 weeks ago. The regular admission price is currently 10 Euros per person...or you can buy a combination ticket for 18 Euros per person that also includes entrances to Herculanium and a few other more minor sites. It is pretty easy to go on your own and pick-up a guide or tour at the entrance. I am not sure of the exact price of the guides, but like many things in Italy the price can be negotiable. Since we had been to Pompeii previously, we decided to go without a guide (many do fine on their own with a decent guide book). At one point we were standing near a small tour group when the guide approched us and ask if were interested in joining his group (for a price) ...so its pretty easy to find guides/groups or whatever else tickles your fancy.

Hank

I'll be there in July (hot- I know) ... waiting for an answer too!

Make sure you have WATER before you enter the ruins and IMHO I would have a good sun hat.It can be brutal up there.Water will be your best friend.Also,I may add,the Shower to Shower body wipes come in handy as well.

The guides by the entry area (where you pay) are the same guides that the cruise ships and the private tours use. They are authorised guides and build together small groups. They charge 10 euros per person. (I'm almost certain that the price is non-negotiable, there are hundreds of people following you and if you don't join, someone else will).

You can get a very good map and guide by the pay windows free of charge. It also makes an excellent souveneir.

You can get partially frozen bottled water at the stalls outside the scavi as you walk down from the train station. It seems strange having it frozen, but it melts as you walk around leaving the water chilled.

The beauty of a guide is that he or she will give you an excellent 2 hour overview of the place, which is ideal the first time you go. The place is huge (look on google earth 40.45.01.75N 14.29.12.76E) and in the 2 hours you only touch the tip of the iceberg.

Pompeii is very easy to do on your own from Naples.

Herculaneum is fantastic and I think better in some aspects than Pompeii.

If you go on you own and are of "pensionable age "TAKE YOUR PASSPORT AS YOU WILL GET A REDUCED ENTRY TICKET.

Pompeii is very easy to do on your own from Naples.

Herculaneum is fantastic and I think better in some aspects than Pompeii.

If you go on you own and are of "pensionable age "TAKE YOUR PASSPORT AS YOU WILL GET A REDUCED ENTRY TICKET.

How do I get to Pompeii from the ship on my own? Is there an advanatage re queues by going with a ship excursion? Can I get from Pompeii to Mt Vesuvius easily?

I have yet to do this but I'm planning on taking a short walk from the docks in Naples to the train station and catching the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii/Scavi station taking a 2 hour tour (leave something to see the next time I go back) and then boarding the train in the same direction for Sorrento and returning to the ship via hydrofoil. I'll be there on the 31st of July so, the hat and water info is certainly well taken. Thanks.

Archived