Tips,Bribes, and Stuff Like That

OuiOnboard

On our last cruise we received outstanding service and attention in the dining room. As I thought back, I wondered what was different abt this cruise. I realized that traveling with our two daughters (21 and 23) might have been part of the attention. Both were so thrilled to be on their first cruise that they were chatting to everyone. By the second night the head waiter, head station waiter, etc were always coming by, asking about their day, practicing the Italian word of the day etc. I think they kept coming back becuase we had such laughter at our table, even when we joined other larger groups. Yes, at the end we tipped extra, but not at the beguinning.

Oui...just between you, me, and the woodpile, the VIP menu is actually stuff that is being served in the crew dining room! ;)

Speaking of woodpiles, I knew if I asked enuf ?'s, eventually someone would direct me to the top of the heap :D ...........Oui

Oui...just between you, me, and the woodpile, the VIP menu is actually stuff that is being served in the crew dining room! ;)

Darn! You've found out the secret. While the unwashed masses of passengers are eating pineapple slices dotted with pistachios for our appetizer, the crew is having a lobster tail amuse-bouche. And although I probably shouldn't tell you....they're sleeping on Frette and shampooing with Hermes.

It would be interesting to know how many “pain” notes you send and what follow up you expect from Princess. And what exactly do you get from the $20 you give the Matre'd? Is this a 7-day cruise you're talking about or longer?

BD

To answer your questions in reverse.

1) It's a 7 day cruise, my first.

2) I have sent exactly three "pain" notes in 45 years of travel. I don't expect any direct response BUT as an employer I would want to know if I had any problem people in my organization.

3) The 20 to the MD is probably for nothing but if anything unanticipated comes up (which by definition I cannot define) I want it resolved quickly and well. Not really any different from auto insurance.

I do, and I expect others to, treat support service people well. My secretary could tell you that one way to insure I call you back immediately is to be abusive to her but that also insures you will not enjoy the call.

Just my way of doing business.

JG

I probably shouldn't tell you....they're sleeping on Frette and shampooing with Hermes.
I just hope Frette doesn't know about what's going on with Hermes in the shower...I've heard that relationships 'below decks' can be quite, ummmm, interesting. ;)

Crew members really have interesting names, don't they? :)

My secretary could tell you that one way to insure I call you back immediately is to be abusive to her but that also insures you will not enjoy the call.

Thanks for the answers to the questions – I’m not quite sure I understand this statement, however.

I don’t know whether one of your three in 45 years pain notes went to Princess, but I find they do respond to legitimate issues.

Whoever has been a pain gets a note to Princess (costing exactly what it's worth -- which from what I've been reading about princess followup, is nothing).JG

I think perhaps you'll get a quicker response with regard to the pain causer (one way or another) by chatting with the pursers desk.

.............oui :) .

I just hope Frette doesn't know about what's going on with Hermes in the shower...I've heard that relationships 'below decks' can be quite, ummmm, interesting. ;)

Crew members really have interesting names, don't they? :)

ROTFPMP :D :D

BD

As for the statement, I simply mean that I do not tolerate discourtesy or abuse toward my staff. My secretary is a highly competent professional and I require she be treated as such, not "JUST the help".

Never written a note to Princess. This is my first cruise. Again, I don't really require a direct response, possibly beyond a letter acknowledging the complaint. I am not looking for credits or for people to get fired but the employer should be aware of any customer service issue.

Oui,

I am reflecting what I have read repeatedly on this board that for all the good things Princess does, reacting to passenger complaints may not be their strongest quality.

In the end, my friends and I are just going to have fun with it all.

JG

BD

As for the statement, I simply mean that I do not tolerate discourtesy or abuse toward my staff. My secretary is a highly competent professional and I require she be treated as such, not "JUST the help".

Never written a note to Princess. This is my first cruise. Again, I don't really require a direct response, possibly beyond a letter acknowledging the complaint. I am not looking for credits or for people to get fired but the employer should be aware of any customer service issue.

OK – well I think I understand that you feel Princess is non-responsive because people here have stated such. My experience with Princess is just the opposite – I’ve written to them many times with both complements and suggestions and I’ve always received a response.

I wrote to passengerrealtions after our last cruise to complement the staff for their excellence(star princess fire). Received a very nice responce, and assurances that our comments would be passed on to those people's superiors. (If that is the right word, as in my opinion none of us are superior to others, but that is a whole different issue). Haven't needed to write with a complaint, hope never to need to. Can't wait for my next cruise.......

I almost hate to say it (because I don't want Oui to be left out of the fun!), but I wrote Princess a complimentary letter about an experience with a crew member a year or so ago. Someone from Santa Clarita called me to follow up. I was blown away...

I almost hate to say it (because I don't want Oui to be left out of the fun!), but I wrote Princess a complimentary letter about an experience with a crew member a year or so ago. Someone from Santa Clarita called me to follow up. I was blown away...

A compliment is bound to be taken seriously, but frankly I have no trouble understanding why a lot of complaints are not, especially after reading these boards!

OK....so I ask....in writing?....alright Mary...you will pardon me please, 'cause I'm a slow learner :) .

.......Cruise Well!!!....Oui

• 2 weeks later...

Hi idssms,

We were on the transatlantic (Galaxy) a couple of years ago. We are doing a Panama on the "Sun" this September. How would you compare it to a Celebrity ship? We are in an aft mini-suite.

As far as tipping, sometimes pre-tipping helps and sometimes not. I have never had a butler accept a pre-tip, but the cabin stewards always do. On a b2b I did not tip the MD at all on the first cruise because I thought he was rude and arrogant....he was very attentive on the second half of the b2b and took very good care of us. I guess he got the message:)

Deb

Hi Deb

How are you? Long time no hear. How are your parents???

The mini suites on Princess are very nice. They have 2 TVs and ample space and a nice balcony.

The only negative I found is that when you are on your balcony 1000 folks can see you from above and I personally every time I was out there carrried on conversations with guests above me on each side.

The suites itself were impeccably clean and the bathrooms were spotless.

Compared the Mercury I was just on in May in a CC class cabin, the Princess Ships I have been on as far as cabin quality are much better.

Of course the staff friendliness and professionalism of Celebrity cant be beat anywhere. Over all nothing beats the experience on the M Class ships in my opinion.

My next cruise is a Princess this summer that we are excited about.

Say hi to Joe...

Don

On the CB we had major headaches with PC Dining (awful waiters first 2 nights) and the matre'd was unhelpful. When I gave him $10.00 he changed his tune and arranged for us to have dinner with our favorite waiter, no problem at all. Call it a bribe but it was worth the $10 to have what we wanted. Definately turned off by PC dining because of it.

Not giving up on Princess however but won't do PC dining again.

Don,

I do like the Mclass ships, but I still have a very soft spot in my heart for the Galaxy. Maybe it was the cruise or the people, but I still love her.

My parents are doing great. Of course it would help if my dad could hear:) He does like to be the center of attention and it is hard when you can't hear the conversation:(

Joe retired a year or so ago and it has been an adjustment. I wish he liked cruising as much as I do, but he is still willing to go on one a year with me.

Our last one was over a year ago on the Infinity from Hawaii. It is a super cruise and I wish they still did one ways to and from Hawaii. I would like to cruise over and stay a while and then cruise back, but no lines do one ways now.

We are excited about the Panama Cruise this Sept.. Do you know what if any perks you get in a AB minisuite on the Sun? I have called Princess and the agents I talked to don't know as much about the boat as I do:)

Also, would an 11 am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale give us enough time after the cruise? Again, I asked Princess and the agent wsn't sure.

I saw another post that you are cruising in Europe this summer. We had super tour guides in Rome and other places on the Mediterrean cruise. We did small private tours (up to 6-8 people) and for my money it is the only way to go.You have control over where you go, what you see and how long you stay in each place. If you want any names, just ask.

Its great to hear from you, tell Susan I said hi and I still owe you guys an Anniversary cake :)

Deb

Don,

I do like the Mclass ships, but I still have a very soft spot in my heart for the Galaxy. Maybe it was the cruise or the people, but I still love her.

My parents are doing great. Of course it would help if my dad could hear:) He does like to be the center of attention and it is hard when you can't hear the conversation:(

Joe retired a year or so ago and it has been an adjustment. I wish he liked cruising as much as I do, but he is still willing to go on one a year with me.

Our last one was over a year ago on the Infinity from Hawaii. It is a super cruise and I wish they still did one ways to and from Hawaii. I would like to cruise over and stay a while and then cruise back, but no lines do one ways now.

We are excited about the Panama Cruise this Sept.. Do you know what if any perks you get in a AB minisuite on the Sun? I have called Princess and the agents I talked to don't know as much about the boat as I do:)

Also, would an 11 am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale give us enough time after the cruise? Again, I asked Princess and the agent wsn't sure.

I saw another post that you are cruising in Europe this summer. We had super tour guides in Rome and other places on the Mediterrean cruise. We did small private tours (up to 6-8 people) and for my money it is the only way to go.You have control over where you go, what you see and how long you stay in each place. If you want any names, just ask.

Its great to hear from you, tell Susan I said hi and I still owe you guys an Anniversary cake :)

Deb

HAHHAHA

That was a great night!! I ll never forgot it when the cake came...

Glad about Joe retiring.

We are doing the Nov 06 TA and the Mar 07 TA on the Millie. I just love the Millie... The Mercury to Alaska last month was fun too.

Ft Lauderdale: We got in at 7 am on the Caribbean Princess and with the airport only 10 mins away by cab there is no problem at all.

It depends on when you arrive at port I guess. But Port Everglades is close to FLL Airport. Dont bother with a shuttle since the cab will be very inexpensive.

Amenities with a Mini Suite,, let me see..

Complimentary champagne at embarkation

top of the range "Beautyrest" mattresses

Luxury 100 Egyptian cotton, high thread count ivory satin striped bed linens

Fluffy European duvets

Pillow menu

Massage shower heads

Luxury towels

Deb,, they beat X when it comes to bedding (matresses and sheets), towels and furniture.

Check out the itinerary for the TA on the Millie in March 07,, goes to Bermuda and then to Southhampton England via spain. great itinerary and reasonable...

Say hi to your parents and joe,, my email is idssms@hotmail.com if you want to get in touch with me...

Don

....top of the range "Beautyrest" mattresses

.....Deb,, they beat X when it comes to bedding (matresses and sheets), towels and furniture....

Right...but still need the eggcrates for my DW...or the cruise is ruined for us both...if you get my drift...........Oui

Don,

Thanks for the info, I think I will hold a place on the Millie TA next Spring. I was leaning toward the Connie TA, but I think this one looks better. Right now, there are no sky suites, but I will hold a CC and maybe a SS will open up. I am thinking of deck 8...

I saw you had a CC on one of your cruises, was it okey? Or are we too spoiled:) (someday the PH for me, maybe when I am too old to enjoy it Ha)

If we make it next spring, I will have a have anniversary party for you:)

Take care,

Deb

Don,

Thanks for the info, I think I will hold a place on the Millie TA next Spring. I was leaning toward the Connie TA, but I think this one looks better. Right now, there are no sky suites, but I will hold a CC and maybe a SS will open up. I am thinking of deck 8...

I saw you had a CC on one of your cruises, was it okey? Or are we too spoiled:) (someday the PH for me, maybe when I am too old to enjoy it Ha)

If we make it next spring, I will have a have anniversary party for you:)

Take care,

Deb

Thats great news!! It leaves in March 07. The CC cabins on the Millie are 192 ish sq ft and will be enough to not get bruised,, i posted a review on the Mercury (May 06) and youll see the problem we had. But I wouldnt hesitate to go in one on the Millie. OF course the CS is nice too,, I have pics of our CS suite on my webpage from Nov 05.

OK, come on down to 6147 with your cake and surprise me... I wont tell Susan whats happening but she will be so surprised.. I still think about that night and that cute couple just wanting to celebrate.. LOL

Plzz tho, bring Dad and step mom along in March 08. IT wont be the same without them.

When I was just in Alaska on the Mercury, I was thinking about Alaskan Airlines and my fav alaskan pilot,,, good all is well. Last cruise I sat with a US Pilot and his wife at the Capts table, thats 2 for 5.

Come on over to our TA roll call and introduce yourself to the posters.

OUI - I hear you pal,, We do whatever it takes to make our DW's happy and content...

Don

ps. Pre Tipping is good!!! LOL

Archived