Tips,Bribes, and Stuff Like That

OuiOnboard

Some people have suggested in another thread that it helps when asking the Maitre"d for some special/favorable seating arrangements to palm a $20 bill to help expedite the process. When first visiting many developing countries, we tend to look with disdain when bribery is required to "get things done".

My understanding is that tips may be given in anticipation of receiving, or in response to receiving, better than adequate service. My question is when does a tip become a bribe?

Just asking.....sail on...Oui :)

It's only my opinion but here goes! If you give monetary recognition for a favour or service received it's a tip! If you give monetary recognition in the hopes of a favour being done for you it's a bribe. The amount of money has nothing to do with it!

I think of a bribe is something (perhaps money) serving to influence or pursuade.

A tip (as used in the hospitality industry) is showing gratitude.

Gratitude is a feeling of thankfulness and appreciation which is often accompanied by a desire to thank them.

So, if you are trying to exert your influence and desires you would first bribe them. If you are happy and thankful with the outcome you than would tip them. :D

I think of a bribe is something (perhaps money) serving to influence or pursuade.

Gratitude is a feeling of thankfulness and appreciation which is often accompanied by a desire to thank them.

So, if you are trying to exert your influence and desires you would first bribe them. If you are happy and thankful with the outcome you than would tip them. :D

So, does that mean that first I have to bribe them, then if they do what I intended the bribe for I should tip them?:eek:

So it all depends on whether you shake hands before he does the deed or after....or both.

An upfront "expression of friendship" to a Maitre D on the first day will ensure you a very enjoyable cruise. The Maitre D's really have the power as far as dining goes and can get things done. Of course dont forget to grease them on the last day too... Esp if you plan to be back on the same ship again.. They really have long memories and the next time you see them,, if you were outstanding,,, you will also have an outstanding experience... it really does work.

don

Never gave a 'bribe' on any cruise. If they cannot accommodate me without $$$, then they should not accommodate someone else with $$$$. After the cruise, I will then give an extra tip as warranted. Happy Cruising!!

Never gave a 'bribe' on any cruise. If they cannot accommodate me without $$$, then they should not accommodate someone else with $$$$. After the cruise, I will then give an extra tip as warranted. Happy Cruising!!

I absolutely feel the same way! I have never given any "tips" on a cruise in anticipation of service. However, if I've had exceptional service, I always tip a nice extra amount at the end of the cruise in addition to auto tips. I have, however, tipped before hand to get a good seat at a Las Vegas show I really wanted to see. Hate doing it, but don't want to be seated between the bathroom and kitchen.:D :eek:

An upfront "expression of friendship" to a Maitre D on the first day will ensure you a very enjoyable cruise. The Maitre D's really have the power as far as dining goes and can get things done. Of course dont forget to grease them on the last day too... Esp if you plan to be back on the same ship again.. They really have long memories and the next time you see them,, if you were outstanding,,, you will also have an outstanding experience... it really does work.

don

What kind of upfront experssion of friendship are you talking about? $20? and what do you do hand the maitre d an envelope and say I look forward to a pleasent dining experience?

Don't y'all just love it when you have had NO contact with the MD the entire cruise, but on the last night they always hit every table with a big wide smile and greet you and hope everything has been "excellent" - I have never tipped a MD because they have never done a thing for me - I do tip extra at the end of the cruise to those who deserve it - but have also slighted the waiter and overtipped the bus boy - in some instances they have done all the "waitering" while the waiter does minimal or nothing. I tip those who have provided me with excellent service - as for the others (MD, etc) nada - they don't know me, I don't know them - never saw them before the last night, etc. I may in the minority, but I don't tip "up front" - they EARN their tips from me - then they are rewarded!

Don't y'all just love it when you have had NO contact with the MD the entire cruise, but on the last night they always hit every table with a big wide smile and greet you and hope everything has been "excellent" - I have never tipped a MD because they have never done a thing for me - I do tip extra at the end of the cruise to those who deserve it - but have also slighted the waiter and overtipped the bus boy - in some instances they have done all the "waitering" while the waiter does minimal or nothing. I tip those who have provided me with excellent service - as for the others (MD, etc) nada - they don't know me, I don't know them - never saw them before the last night, etc. I may in the minority, but I don't tip "up front" - they EARN their tips from me - then they are rewarded!

I Totally agree with you!..What is a MD supposed to do anyway after you are assigned your seat for the cruise..I can see where he might work harder for the Any Time people, but WHAT exactly is he supposed to do for us...cause I sure never see or hear from him on any cruise I have ever been on...We set and the waiters and bus guys are the only ones we ever see or tip extra...

Trust me, if you get to know your Maitre D and so give him $20 or $30 he will do nice things for you. Here s an example:

I ate at Sterling Steak House the 2nd night on our CB cruise in 9/05. They had the most huge shrimp there in the cocktails,, I mean 3 times the size of the normal coral dining room shrimp. At the Chart House, real big jumbo shrimp like that (4) would be $15 for a cocktail. Anyway, I mentioned to our Asst Maitre D that (i tipped him $40 the first night) that I loved those Sterling Steak House Huge Jumbo Shrimp the night after we ate at Sterling. From that night on,, each night I went to the Coral Dining Room for anytime dining, the Maitre D either went to the Sterling or had someone go down and get us 3 of those sterling huge shrimp cocktails. Thats in my mind $45 worth of shrimp at a good seafood restaurant.

Another neat thing:

When Princess served ice cream at dinner or lunch, it came with a great triangular cookie, a chocolate, light, flakey, thin thin cookie... I told the waiter,, plzz get me a few more of those great fresh triangular cookies...

The Maitre D gave me a 5 pound box, sealed of those cookies for me to take home and it lasted us over 4 months.

My point is my $40 tip really motivated the Maitre D to provide me outstanding service. I also of course tipped him at the end a very nice gratuity. When I go on the CB in the summer I guaranty the service level will be outstanding cause most of the Maitre D's will be there and will have remembered me.

I go on 4 cruises a year and I want the best experience I can get. With all the money spent for cabs, parking, plane fares, cruising,,, whats a few hundred extra dollars in tips. I guess,, dont be pennywise and pound foolish. Next time try it out and see what happens.

Don

So, does that mean that first I have to bribe them, then if they do what I intended the bribe for I should tip them?:eek:

I personally find bribery to be smarmy and a tip-off to a difficult customer with expectations of special treatment, so I don't do it. But, if one were to use a bribe, the answer to your question is 'yes.' The bribe and the tip serve different purposes and one does not take the place of the other.

I've been served, quite a few times, items from the VIP menu; I have had a standing table for two by the window for 12 days; I have had other little niceties at the table. I never asked for these things, and I never offered a bribe for them. It's proper to reward extra efforts with a tip, but a bribe has never been necessary to get good service on a cruise.

Our last cruise was on RCL and I've got to say we had the best MD ever. I couldn't believe it. All the many other cruises we've been on I had to ask the Waiter who he/she was the last night so I knew who to give the "tip envelope" to.

Every night he was at our table (and those around us) talking and making sure everything was fine. He loved to talk to us and even knew a few of us by name. (NO EXTRA PRE TIPPING/BRIBING).... One night one of our table mates was not feeling well. Wife was there but hubby stayed in room. THe MD said I'm going to get something for you to take to him. He should not go to bed on an empty stomach. He brought a cheese & fruit plate and also a dessert. We were all taken back by this. He was absolutely wonderful.

Now here is the kicker, on the last night I had written thank you cards for the Waiter, asst waiter and MD. In those I put in extra tips. Well I was tardy in getting them ready, so I was finishing them up at the table. I ended up giving the MD just the "thankyou" and not the tip envelope. When I realized it, and called him back over, he said he already had the most important one, (the thank you's) because the tip ones come all the time, but not many people take the time to write a personal thank you.

WOW!!!!! It's hard to top that.

We will be takiing our first princess cruise next March. Hoping for an exceptional MD. (and a good cup of coffee).......

Trust me, if you get to know your Maitre D and so give him $20 or $30 he will do nice things for you. Here s an example:

I ate at Sterling Steak House the 2nd night on our CB cruise in 9/05. They had the most huge shrimp there in the cocktails,, I mean 3 times the size of the normal coral dining room shrimp. At the Chart House, real big jumbo shrimp like that (4) would be $15 for a cocktail. Anyway, I mentioned to our Asst Maitre D that (i tipped him $40 the first night) that I loved those Sterling Steak House Huge Jumbo Shrimp the night after we ate at Sterling. From that night on,, each night I went to the Coral Dining Room for anytime dining, the Maitre D either went to the Sterling or had someone go down and get us 3 of those sterling huge shrimp cocktails. Thats in my mind $45 worth of shrimp at a good seafood restaurant.

Another neat thing:

When Princess served ice cream at dinner or lunch, it came with a great triangular cookie, a chocolate, light, flakey, thin thin cookie... I told the waiter,, plzz get me a few more of those great fresh triangular cookies...

The Maitre D gave me a 5 pound box, sealed of those cookies for me to take home and it lasted us over 4 months.

My point is my $40 tip really motivated the Maitre D to provide me outstanding service. I also of course tipped him at the end a very nice gratuity. When I go on the CB in the summer I guaranty the service level will be outstanding cause most of the Maitre D's will be there and will have remembered me.

I go on 4 cruises a year and I want the best experience I can get. With all the money spent for cabs, parking, plane fares, cruising,,, whats a few hundred extra dollars in tips. I guess,, dont be pennywise and pound foolish. Next time try it out and see what happens.

Don

Last December we organized a cruise on CB with a group of six in total. We had A T dining and found a good wait team which we kept for the remainder of the 7 day cruise. Most of the tables around us had the same standing reservations in place that we had.

The Head Waiter (green jacket) would walk about the dining area, inspecting the tables and occasionally topping up water glasses, but he consistently engaged people in conversation at one particular table of eight which seemed to be the center point of his activities...it was like they had a 3 member wait team. Noticing me watching this obviously uneven attention, DW told us she had noticed "something green" in one diner's hand when he shook hands with the Head Waiter as they were being seated the first nite. Neither I nor any of the other diners at surrounding tables shook the HW's hand, and not surprisingly, none of us got much attention from him the rest of the cruise.

I must say that idssms knows of what he speaks.

.............cruise now!...Oui

OUI

One your next cruise do what I do just to see if it works. Give the Asst Maitre D in your area $40 the first night.... Then write to me and tell me of your exceptional experience in the dining room.

When I go cruising I want the experience to be outstanding not good, great, or excellent, I want the best feeling and experience I can get. I have never been let down on Celebrity, RCL or Princess. A little generosity goes a long way!!

thanks for the positive comments!!

Don

Don,

Why the asst matre d and not the regualr matre d...I dont even know who the asst is. Usually one knows the matre d if he is the type to walk around introduce himself, take your lobster out of the shell, etc. but I dont remember seeing an asst on my cruises, just the asst waiter of course....

It's only my opinion but here goes! If you give monetary recognition for a favour or service received it's a tip! If you give monetary recognition in the hopes of a favour being done for you it's a bribe. The amount of money has nothing to do with it!

So that means the auto gratuity that is put on your seapass card must be a bribe :confused:

royhand.gif

So that means the auto gratuity that is put on your seapass card must be a bribe :confused:

royhand.gif

No, the auto gratuity they put on your seapass card is "Extortion" not a bribe, as they are requesting it from you, not you offering it to them.

Another neat thing:

Don

I totally disagree. We had outstanding service from our Maitre D on our Island Princess cruise with special desserts, a special entree made at the table that wasn't on the menu, etc. All without "bribery." He came to our table every night (15 nights) to see if there was something we wanted or needed. My sister and I happened to mention to our waiter that we love marzipan. Before we left the table that night, we had a couple of plates we could take up to our cabins to nibble on. You could have saved yourself $40. Next time, try it without the bribe. I personally think that behavior should be rewarded after the fact. Do you give your kids cookies and tell them to be good or do you give them the cookie because they've been good?

One your next cruise do what I do just to see if it works. Give the Asst Maitre D in your area $40 the first night.... Then write to me and tell me of your exceptional experience in the dining room.

How about if I just give it to him afterwards for genuine service that didn't rely on a bribe? :)

Don,

Why the asst matre d and not the regualr matre d...I dont even know who the asst is. Usually one knows the matre d if he is the type to walk around introduce himself, take your lobster out of the shell, etc. but I dont remember seeing an asst on my cruises, just the asst waiter of course....

The men who are in the suits. I call them asst maitre d's, I consider the head Maitre D the dining room manager and the others his assistants.

Its the gentlemen or women in the jacket and tie.

don

How about if I just give it to him afterwards for genuine service that didn't rely on a bribe? :)

I am just telling everyone on here how I do business with personal on a ship. I am not saying its correct or better,, its my way in my mind to have an outstanding time.

Whether you do it up front, after or in the middle or dont tip at all its your call.

I am just sharing my experiences from my 25 plus years of cruising.

I like to tip certain key individuals upfront, It really works for me.

I am not preaching this to anyone so your candor is welcome and not taken in a negative way.

thanks

don

I’ve never had a Matre’d come to the table on the last night of a cruise. I have had them check in during the cruise, but never on the last night. I have, however, had to search out a head waiter who did something out of the ordinary for me who I wanted to tip the last night of the cruise. He was conspicuously absent.

I’ve noticed on my last two Princess cruises that tipping via envelope seems to have become more rare. I’m only hoping that people are leaving their auto tip on.

As for the question – I have never pre-tipped on a Princess ship. I have had issues that I’ve had to ask the Matre’d, room steward, etc., to resolve for me and they’ve always been taken care of to my satisfaction. A nice tip at the end of the cruise follows, but I’ve never felt the need to tip ahead of time.

Archived