Late arrival Dubrovnik

scdreamer

We are new to Oceania - have booked the October 2007 Insignia Athens to Venice itinerary, and although it's quite a ways off, we are enjoying the anticipation of our planned journey already.

I noticed on the itinerary that the ship comes into port in Dubrovnik at 8 p.m. and leaves the following day in the early afternoon. Is it possible to actually do or see anything in port that late in the evening (not sure how far the actual city center is from the ship's berth), or do most pax wait until the next day to arrange their shoreside visit?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Dubrovnik is a vibrant historical city with a lively night life. The city center is a short cab drive from the pier. You'll also want to get an early start the next day to explore the old walled city. If you're physically active, be sure to walk the entire top of the wall - it is so fascinating with great photo ops. Rent the recorded guide, which will explain the many sights within the walled city. We also found a wonderful restaurant inside the walled city - right on the water. Wonderful oysters, mussels, fish, and local beer! The museum within the city is also quite interesting - especially the ancient apothecary (pharmacy) - allegedly the oldest continually operating pharmacy in the world (although the pharmacy in Tallinn, Estonia, also makes this claim.)

Mike

I read with interest your last post re: Dubrovnik. We are scheduled on the May 7th, 2007 and our port time is 1 - 6 p.m. I just read in my Croatia tourbook that we will find most shops, etc., closed for lunch from 1 - 4 (that's about the same length as my retirement lunches). Do you remember if that is pretty accurate? I might give consideration to a diff itinerary if we will only have 3 "open" hours. Husband will walk the wall, but I was planning to browse the shops.

Thanks for input... and congrats on your granddaughter's graduation, too.

I read with interest your last post re: Dubrovnik. We are scheduled on the May 7th, 2007 and our port time is 1 - 6 p.m.

On the website the port hours are 8am -4 pm has this changed?

Well, I dug out my printout from when we booked and actually it said

12 - 6 and in my mind I was thinking by the time we got in town, especially if we tendered in, it would make it around 1.

I will go back to Oceania's site and see if that has changed. I printed this on 4/10/06 or shortly after we booked.

Thanks for calling it to my attention. Appreciate that.

PANANA... I am the confused one ..

May 7th Regatta sailing is 12-6pm

May 5 Nautica is 8-4pm

May 10th Insignia is 1pm day 3 depart 6pm day 4

May 17th Nautica 8am-6pm

Then for Oct

Oct 02 Regatta it is 1pm-8pm

Oct 10th Nautica 12- 11 pm

Oct 16th Regatta 8am -2pm

Oct 17th Insignia 8pm day 8 depart day 9 at 2pm

Oct 24 Nautica 8am -6pm

Oct 27 Insignia 12-6pm

Oct 30 Regatta 1-8pm

Hope this help clears up my confusion ;)

we were in dubrovnik last june (not oceania) and I'm guessing we were in town from 10 ish to 4 or so. I do not remember anything being closed. If you can walk the wall - it's the highlight. shops were nice. the main shopping street is not that long. you could do half the wall and the main shopping street in 3hrs.

We are new to Oceania - have booked the October 2007 Insignia Athens to Venice itinerary, and although it's quite a ways off, we are enjoying the anticipation of our planned journey already.

I noticed on the itinerary that the ship comes into port in Dubrovnik at 8 p.m. and leaves the following day in the early afternoon. Is it possible to actually do or see anything in port that late in the evening (not sure how far the actual city center is from the ship's berth), or do most pax wait until the next day to arrange their shoreside visit?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

My wife and I just booked the Oct 17th 2007 athens to Venice on Insignia, our Ta told us the ship is filling up, we thought we were crazy booking this far out, but sometimes it pays off.

Mike - Thank you for the information. We are both very fit and enjoy walking, so we will be sure to plan on doing the city wall. Also good to know we will have a chance to see a bit of the night life in Dubrovnik.

We are realizing that we will have to consider all the ports as a sampling ... figure out which ones we will want to return to in order to experience later at a more leisurely pace.

Although we have cruised on other lines a number of times, we are novices when it comes to Europe. Other than two weeks spent in Rome and Florence last year, this will be our first travel to the Mediterranean.

FDV - Amazing that this cruise is filling up so early. I think it must be a popular itinerary. We are very much looking forward to the trip!

Archived