Help! How Long Is a 10-Minute Walk?

We are on the Star Princess 9/2. Having looked at several reviews, and asked the question elsewhere, I still can't get an answer to a question that may determine whether we go to Gdansk.

All the tours end at the parking lot, and it appears that taxis cannot go further either. The walk from the parking lot to the town is described in the cruise literature as a 10-minute walk. This might be 10 minutes for a healthy young adult, but quite a bit more for my mid-70s cruise buddy with one replaced knee and another that probably needs to be. My own walking isn't always swift either.

Can anyone who has been there estimate the distance in either as portion of mile or typical city blocks? How long did the walk take the elderly/ infirm, if there were any on the tours to Gdask?

The tour we took last summer actually dropped us off on a street corner rather than a parking lot, but I'm assuming that they do this since the old part of the town is all pedestrain. Getting from where you would be dropped off into the town isn't too bad a walk - I would say 10 minutes is an easy overestimate. The challenge might be once in the old town how easily you can keep up with the group if it is a guided walk. When we were there it was very crowded and difficult for our group to keep up with each other - many people got separated. This had more to do with the pace of our guide and the crowds than anybody's walking ability. But, if there is an option where you can be dropped off and left at your own pace - so long as you know when and where to meet up - then you should be fine. We thought it was definitely worth seeing.

I would estimate that the average person walks about 1/2 mile in 10 minutes...thats about 4 or 5 city blocks. When I walk for excercise ...I don't rush or dawdle...I walk a mile in 20 minutes. Hope this helps.

Archived